Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
May 8, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #17,461 of 18,763
I had to look through the internet quite a bit to find ANYONE who was selling them.

The only 2 places I could find that were were Australia (but that was domestic shipping only) and Japan (the one I bought).

There's an emerald green on ebay for $1400 in the US if you want to pick that up. (Edited to add location)

The green ones unfortunately don't have the special tuning that the sapphires and pearl whites have :frowning2:

May 12, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #17,463 of 18,763
20210512_165613.jpg
20210512_165634.jpg

Had to go outdoors to take pictures of them because the indoor lighting did not do them justice. These are gorgeous! I now have #181. The packaging it came in was by far the most amount of bubble wrap and foam that I've had to go through for any packages, including TVs. That is one thing that I like about the audiophile community: You all take packaging your stuff very seriously.

May 17, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #17,465 of 18,763
took my modded th900 out and yup, love these cans. Throw George porter junior on and let the drums come alive.

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #17,466 of 18,763
Can anybody tell me the difference in the sound signature of the different colors is is it just cosmetic

May 17, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #17,467 of 18,763
Well lacquer matters. red Better than blue better than white or is it white better than red better than blue……

May 17, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #17,468 of 18,763
Well lacquer matters. red Better than blue better than white or is it white better than red better than blue……
Blue for slow and sad songs , red best for evil Metal songs or Wagner.

May 17, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #17,470 of 18,763
May 17, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #17,472 of 18,763
After plenty research and finding out that no headphone is perfect. I’ve pulled the plug on a Demo model of the th900 mkii, like new for 2/3 the price.
Will have forza audio works make a cable that has 4,4mm connection and play it off of my Dethonray honey H1 and Fiio Q5s Type c.
Curious to hear the fostex sound. If I like it (really hope so), I’ll stop spending money on audio for a good bit as I’m moving to the other side of the world for a bit and just want one good IEM and one good headphone along for the ride.

Let’s see how they are!
Thanks everyone for their contributions in this thread. Very helpful.
I’ve found the search for a good pair of over ears to be VERY difficult. Way more difficult than finding my perfect set of IEMS (hyla sarda).

Let’s hear that famous treble spike As well :p

May 17, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #17,473 of 18,763
After plenty research and finding out that no headphone is perfect. I’ve pulled the plug on a Demo model of the th900 mkii, like new for 2/3 the price.
Will have forza audio works make a cable that has 4,4mm connection and play it off of my Dethonray honey H1 and Fiio Q5s Type c.
Curious to hear the fostex sound. If I like it (really hope so), I’ll stop spending money on audio for a good bit as I’m moving to the other side of the world for a bit and just want one good IEM and one good headphone along for the ride.

Let’s see how they are!
Thanks everyone for their contributions in this thread. Very helpful.
I’ve found the search for a good pair of over ears to be VERY difficult. Way more difficult than finding my perfect set of IEMS (hyla sarda).

Let’s hear that famous treble spike As well :p
Congratulations! What other pairs of headphones did you consider or own, among which the Th900mk2 has come out ahead?

And a more general question to everyone — sorry if this was asked before — can one be happy with a non-modded, non-Eq’d version of just plain stock red Th900mk2?

I am hoping some users can clarify - since I am getting some doubts after seeing massive threads and discussions about all the pad rolling, dampening, EQing, self made and Lawton improvements and all other kinds mods available, seems to be quite specific to Fostex.

After reading all these comments on various audio websites, my brain is overwhelmed and I am wondering if the th900mk2 “vanilla” stock form is worth considering, if I don’t want to do any modding etc.?

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #17,474 of 18,763
Congratulations! What other pairs of headphones did you consider or own, among which the Th900mk2 has come out ahead?

And a more general question to everyone — sorry if this was asked before — can one be happy with a non-modded, non-Eq’d version of just plain stock red Th900mk2?

I am hoping some users can clarify - since I am getting some doubts after seeing massive threads and discussions about all the pad rolling, dampening, EQing, self made and Lawton improvements and all other kinds mods available, seems to be quite specific to Fostex.

After reading all these comments on various audio websites, my brain is overwhelmed and I am wondering if the th900mk2 “vanilla” stock form is worth considering, if I don’t want to do any modding etc.?
Plain stock "vanilla" red TH900 is really nothing to be apprehensive about. They're not some wild headphones with an erratic frequency and sibilant highs - they're well balanced with crisp highs and well defined low end. I changed pads and cable for comfort rather than tuning.

I don't really understand all this hyperbolic chatter about "famous treble spike." They're not rolled off but they're hardly DT880 terrain.

May 17, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #17,475 of 18,763
th900 is the muscle car from Japan, you can mod it, or do nothing to it. I run my cans flat, no eq. Don’t mistake head fi ability to break every closed can into a cable mod, a ear pad mod, a cup mod, a dampening mod. Then throw non mk2 to mk2 to red, white, blue cups. It can be misleading what’s going on, in that we all started with the factory fostex can, and everyone loves it. We just can’t leave well enough alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back