Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
May 17, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #17,476 of 18,765
I ended up getting mine 2 days after the original ETA.

Treble spike got me on my test song (Iced Earth - Storm Rider), just like the HD800s did stock. So I punched in oratory1990 EQ and it did as expected. Bass is pretty much tracking the target stock up until 300hz, then everything is recessed until you get to that 5.5khz treble spike, which I think is indeed the much talked about treble spike.

When I turn the EQ off after I got accustom to it (doesn't take long) its like it sucks away information between 300hz -5.5khz.

Overall its a pretty nice sound, it sounds "hifi", compared to my only other closed back to compare, the HD598c. Separation is good, the sound stage is larger than I thought, not quite as large as an hd6xx, especially when you increase volume.

I think the amount of bass did not impress me because I'm already listening to that level of bass in all my headphones. Quality of bass ? Jury is still out on that.

Not sure If I will keep them, they do not isolate as well as I thought they were going to from my fan and that was my main reason (justification?) to get these.

Imo the build could be better, its nice, but it is on the edge of feeling premium and cheap. If you are not protecting the headband I dont see how the material could last long and these yokes are plastic ?

May 17, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #17,477 of 18,765
Mine 6 years and doing fine. Yes these are not sound isolating closed hp. Th900 bass is not hd800S bass, nor Diana bass in fact for me, it’s the perfect compliment . But have fun testing em out

May 17, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #17,479 of 18,765
...They're not some wild headphones with an erratic frequency and sibilant highs - they're well balanced with crisp highs and well defined low end...
I guess it depends what you consider "balanced" - I use that term for Pro 82 v2 and Stax 009:
1621281034976.png

Pretty significant bass boost, hole in the mids starting at 1kHz, and two treble peaks around 4.5kHz and 7.5kHz - not my idea of "balanced"...

May 17, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #17,481 of 18,765
I ended up getting mine 2 days after the original ETA.

Treble spike got me on my test song (Iced Earth - Storm Rider), just like the HD800s did stock. So I punched in oratory1990 EQ and it did as expected. Bass is pretty much tracking the target stock up until 300hz, then everything is recessed until you get to that 5.5khz treble spike, which I think is indeed the much talked about treble spike.

When I turn the EQ off after I got accustom to it (doesn't take long) its like it sucks away information between 300hz -5.5khz.

Overall its a pretty nice sound, it sounds "hifi", compared to my only other closed back to compare, the HD598c. Separation is good, the sound stage is larger than I thought, not quite as large as an hd6xx, especially when you increase volume.

I think the amount of bass did not impress me because I'm already listening to that level of bass in all my headphones. Quality of bass ? Jury is still out on that.

Not sure If I will keep them, they do not isolate as well as I thought they were going to from my fan and that was my main reason (justification?) to get these.

Imo the build could be better, its nice, but it is on the edge of feeling premium and cheap. If you are not protecting the headband I dont see how the material could last long and these yokes are plastic ?
Seriously curious: Are you having to EQ to get that much bass in the HD800S? I've not heard the HD800S (yet, plan to during SoCal CanJam if it doesn't get delayed), but I was under the impression that the HD800S starts to drop off in bass below 100Hz

May 17, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #17,482 of 18,765
Hd800S is a magical hp. there Is plenty of bass but one does need a good dac and amp section to scale it where it needs to be. Th900 is easy to drive. But if quality source is available, hd800S gives you everything one needs in true timber. It just doesn’t have the sub bass and thump of th900, that’s why if you had to have two hp like myself, hd800S and th900 are a nice compliment. No I don’t have to eq either hp.

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #17,483 of 18,765
Seriously curious: Are you having to EQ to get that much bass in the HD800S? I've not heard the HD800S (yet, plan to during SoCal CanJam if it doesn't get delayed), but I was under the impression that the HD800S starts to drop off in bass below 100Hz

Yes, I EQ all of my headphones to the Harmon target. I'm not disappointed with the HD800s bass when EQ'd. I'm building up a lot of listening time with the EQ'd TH900 to get familiar with the bass for when I listen to the HD800s again.

You can compare the two below.

HD800s
TH900

May 17, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #17,484 of 18,765
Hd800S is a magical hp. there Is plenty of bass but one does need a good dac and amp section to scale it where it needs to be. Th900 is easy to drive. But if quality source is available, hd800S gives you everything one needs in true timber. It just doesn’t have the sub bass and thump of th900, that’s why if you had to have two hp like myself, hd800S and th900 are a nice compliment. No I don’t have to eq either hp.
HD800S don't just need "a good dac and amp", they need dac/amp that have synergy with HD800S.
Both HD800 and HD800S are notoriously picky with sound chain.

May 17, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #17,485 of 18,765
Well that would be a good dac amp, I got it right first try….i would add source as well, no sense in noisy transmission of compressed music but I digress

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #17,486 of 18,765
Congratulations! What other pairs of headphones did you consider or own, among which the Th900mk2 has come out ahead?

And a more general question to everyone — sorry if this was asked before — can one be happy with a non-modded, non-Eq’d version of just plain stock red Th900mk2?

I am hoping some users can clarify - since I am getting some doubts after seeing massive threads and discussions about all the pad rolling, dampening, EQing, self made and Lawton improvements and all other kinds mods available, seems to be quite specific to Fostex.

After reading all these comments on various audio websites, my brain is overwhelmed and I am wondering if the th900mk2 “vanilla” stock form is worth considering, if I don’t want to do any modding etc.?

You can't go wrong with any iteration of the Th900 MK2, even the sapphire and pearl whites are MOSTLY the same in terms of tuning - nothing you can't fix with a little EQ on the reds.

The whole sibilance thing is in my opinion an exaggeration. I don't find it to be "treble murder" as some people put it. It's likely they have very sensitive hearing or are listening to music that involves a lot of cymbals and are recorded in a "brighter" tone.

The most meaningful difference you will get in terms of mods is pad swapping. Dekoni pads are great for TH900's. Other than that, they're not amp/DAC picky and respond well to EQ.

May 18, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #17,490 of 18,765
Congratulations! What other pairs of headphones did you consider or own, among which the Th900mk2 has come out ahead?

And a more general question to everyone — sorry if this was asked before — can one be happy with a non-modded, non-Eq’d version of just plain stock red Th900mk2?

I am hoping some users can clarify - since I am getting some doubts after seeing massive threads and discussions about all the pad rolling, dampening, EQing, self made and Lawton improvements and all other kinds mods available, seems to be quite specific to Fostex.

After reading all these comments on various audio websites, my brain is overwhelmed and I am wondering if the th900mk2 “vanilla” stock form is worth considering, if I don’t want to do any modding etc.?
I’m quite new to the journey and experience of higher end audio. I have not owned many headphones. I’ve learned that I’m not for that neutral sound. I like my bass, and I like it done well. Not sony xm3 bass that’s just ugly bloat. Bass that doesn’t bleed too much and crisp sound through the other spectrums as well. I had and sold the beginner ‘sundara’, I had and sold the goldplanar gl2000. I bought the gl2k as it was described as a mix between a fostex argon, a sundara and another good reputation headphone. Yeah right. Lesson learned, don’t go off of one opinion (specially a reviewer’s opinion), do more research. Started digging more for the correct fit. Also I decided okay, let’s not dabble low to mid tier, let’s get stuff that’s just good.

Iem was easy. Everyone that has the Hyla Sarda is like, jup, that one’s dope. Great for subwoofer like bass, but crisp and clear. This thing (to me) blows my mind with my playlist day in day out. Across multiple genres. Money well spent, I’ll be enjoying it for a long time.

Now I’ve sold my 2 headphones as in the over ear department didn’t find what I was looking for. So search for over ear started. I’ve gone over plenty headphones, searched all the threads and the opinions are so damn devided. So what I realize in this hobby is that things keep a certain value, And people just have opinions, and the more you read, the wiser you get but also the more confused because of the subjective experience that is audio. So I decided on the TH900.
- Easy to drive (important for me, I need portable)
- Japanese mucle car as described above. Been around the block. Not goldplanar new chifi. Tried/tested loved and hated :)
- when reading through forums it seems when the treble really gets to you, you can change pads and it’ll fix it (I don’t eq, my work setup is ipad, not computer). So I ordered brainwavz xl suede as well as sheepskin pads to pad roll.
- If I don’t like it, I can put it up for sale and actually recover a good deal of what I’ve spent. You always lose some money, but it’s like you’ve been renting a car. You have enjoyed it hopefully. You learned a bit about a specific sound signature. And you can move on. If I spend 1500 on pads, the headphone and a custom cable. I know I can recover a grand in a few months If needed.
- I want to experience that fostex sound. Because to know, you have to experience it seems. Fostex is a name that pops up all the time in the forums, so why not just listen with my own two ears and see if I like it.
- When I listen to my q5s/honey h1. The q5s brings out all the best of the Sarda Through all spectrums, mids and highs very clear just on that edge of sharp but not too sharp and crazy controlled low end. When I use the honey it takes a little off of the mids and highs it seems. Music doesn’t amaze me on it , but you could say it’s less fatiguing for very long sessions and still sounds good. Or when I want to focus on my work, I put that one in as sometimes on the q5s, I’m just distracted by all the awesome sound. So should the th900 be a little ‘sharp’ in the highs, my guess is the honey h1 will tame it as well.
- I’m sick of reading through the forums. It’s starting to affect my work :D , I get too obsessed. Another reason to just buy, experience and stop looking for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back