Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Aug 4, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #961 of 3,438
Quote:
The W3KANV are not for everyone. They have a particular sound, one that isn't agreeable with the masses. I've yet to hear them from a good rig, but from my initial impressions, I would tend to agree. 

Also - my comparisons/review of the TH-600 vs TH-900 are almost done, if anyone is interested in buying a pair of TH-600s, let me know. I'll have a FS post up in a few days if not. 

Look forward to reading them. Have established can demo the W3KANV and TH900 but no TH600 unless the shop springs a surprise on me. So no way for me to know what the scale is for the extra £ (checking Pricejapan, the additional postage, import and customs fees hardly makes the resultant saving worth the effort, might as well support UK businesses). Would also be interested to read your thoughts on the Mad Dog vs the TH600

Aug 4, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #964 of 3,438
Quote:

Look forward to reading them. Have established can demo the W3KANV and TH900 but no TH600 unless the shop springs a surprise on me. So no way for me to know what the scale is for the extra £ (checking Pricejapan, the additional postage, import and customs fees hardly makes the resultant saving worth the effort, might as well support UK businesses). Would also be interested to read your thoughts on the Mad Dog vs the TH600

Here you go (MD vs TH-600). Still working on the comparison between the TH-600 and TH-900. Hopefully will be done soon. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/666284/mrspeakers-mad-dog-impressions-and-discussion-thread/1065#post_9676390

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #965 of 3,438
Anybody know of a relatively inexpensive amp that would pair well with the TH600? I just received my pair yesterday and on my Lovely Cube they're sounding kind of congested or muffled. I unfortunately don't have the funds for something like a WA7 or WA6SE after splurging for the TH600.

At least it has taught me to not buy expensive headphones again if I can't test them first.

Aug 9, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #967 of 3,438
  Anybody know of a relatively inexpensive amp that would pair well with the TH600? I just received my pair yesterday and on my Lovely Cube they're sounding kind of congested or muffled. I unfortunately don't have the funds for something like a WA7 or WA6SE after splurging for the TH600.

At least it has taught me to not buy expensive headphones again if I can't test them first.

Aug 9, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #968 of 3,438
Second-Hand Graham Slee perhaps!

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #972 of 3,438
Has anyone tried them with something like the O2, Schiit Magni or Asgard 2? Or am I hoping for too much by trying to find a sub-$250 amp?

Quote:
I like them with my Lake People G109. The Fostex HP-A3 might be worth a look as well (includes a DAC but no analog input).

Where do you go to buy amps like these? Their website only seems to have a shop for the Violectric products.

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #973 of 3,438
Quote:
Has anyone tried them with something like the O2, Schiit Magni or Asgard 2? Or am I hoping for too much by trying to find a sub-$250 amp?

Where do you go to buy amps like these? Their website only seems to have a shop for the Violectric products.

Violectric is made by lake people, Violectric is their more....upscale brand so to speak. The G109 is basically a V100

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #974 of 3,438
Quote:

As far as I know they will ship to Canada. Just contact them at info@lake-people.de and mention any of your location-specific needs (voltage, mains connectors etc.).
Customs and/or other import fees might apply.

The difference between the 'S' and 'P' version is the input connectors (109P features RCA as well as XLR, 109S is RCA-only) and the 'P' version has a relay that disconnects the phone outputs during power on/off (i.e. not plop).

Edit: Lake People is a long-time and renowned studio electronics manufacturer, Violectric is their consumer brand. Their headphone amps share many traits, but the Violectric caters more to High End preferences, featuring non-smd parts and nicer enclosures (and as far as I read their CEO's statements he believes the products to be of equal sound quality).

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #975 of 3,438
Actually, I just noticed that it may be at least partially the fault of my sound card. I'm using a Titanium HD in my PC, and anything other than the Audio Creation mode seems to muffle or blend the low end frequencies a little too much. The TH600 could probably still use a better amp pairing to open up the sound a bit more, but it seems like it's not entirely a problem with the Lovely Cube.

I'll have to look into those other amps for when my finances are a bit better in order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back