Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Aug 10, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #991 of 3,438
Quote:
Price for a D MD7000k compared to the TH 600, and honestly that sounds sexy...  those wooden cups and angled pads... that must be wonderful 

Truth is you can buy a D7000 for around $700 on the used market, add $99 for the pads and another $99 for the Lawton mods.  A $900 headphone.  Worth it to me, especially now that I heard the TH600 for a reference point.  And yes, the D7000 is way sexier if that matters to anyone.  But I like the TH600 in all flat black (just wish the FOSTEX molded into the cups was gone). 

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #992 of 3,438
thanks for the impressions, we definitely need more TH-600 vs D7000. since i owned LA-7000s as well, it helps me understand the TH-600 more.

Aug 10, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #993 of 3,438
Quote:
Truth is you can buy a D7000 for around $700 on the used market, add $99 for the pads and another $99 for the Lawton mods.  A $900 headphone.  Worth it to me, especially now that I heard the TH600 for a reference point.  And yes, the D7000 is way sexier if that matters to anyone.  But I like the TH600 in all flat black (just wish the FOSTEX molded into the cups was gone). 

Quote:
thanks for the impressions, we definitely need more TH-600 vs D7000. since i owned LA-7000s as well, it helps me understand the TH-600 more.

Owned, as in PAST tense... why would you sell it q.q

Still... I dropped $400 into my w1000x, add another $200 for the Matrix M stage to go with it and... that's still not as much as a stock D7k :D Seriously though... is the price going up or down... I might seriously have to invest in one! 

Aug 10, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #994 of 3,438
Quote:

Owned, as in PAST tense... why would you sell it q.q

Still... I dropped $400 into my w1000x, add another $200 for the Matrix M stage to go with it and... that's still not as much as a stock D7k :D Seriously though... is the price going up or down... I might seriously have to invest in one! 

i don't think denons have been going up. they seem stable at the 700-900 price range.  750-850ish would be decent for one. the new fostex helped keep the price from skyrocketing out of control (i think some people where looking for like 1200$ for them at one point lol). 

i loved the denons, but they where a little too sibilant for me at times.

Aug 10, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #995 of 3,438
Just now got a pair of Lawton Audio pads for my TH-600, looks cool and IMO have some improvements in sound too 
wink.gif
:

Aug 10, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #996 of 3,438
Quote:

i don't think denons have been going up. they seem stable at the 700-900 price range.  750-850ish would be decent for one. the new fostex helped keep the price from skyrocketing out of control (i think some people where looking for like 1200$ for them at one point lol). 

i loved the denons, but they where a little too sibilant for me at times.

Ahh yea that's no beano. But the w1000x still has that issue. Adele's voice espically can bring out the VERY rare harshness in the treble. How ever a good THICK tube does help, but at the loss of sound stage and bass tightness. Still I'm not at ALL sensitive to Treble. It doesn't and hasn't physically caused an issues with me for a while. Just a quality thing. It sounds bad, but again. With many mods the w1000x does not have as many issues as it used to. Although edm is still a little too... ENERGETIC for my tastes, but that's what those woody mids are for. detracting from that not 100% perfect treble.

Still I need to buy one. How would a D7k Fair out of something like a Matrix M Stage? [I have and ALWAYS belive that headphones make a great investment! Screw gold, every one wants a Modded w1000x and the like <3] 

Aug 10, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #997 of 3,438
Quote:
Just now got a pair of Lawton Audio pads for my TH-600, looks cool and IMO have some improvements in sound too 
wink.gif
:

My gawd they look like ALPHA pads :O... in that case go Dan! [And who ever orignally though of Lambskin Leather Angled Pads] 

Aug 10, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #998 of 3,438
Quote:
Ahh yea that's no beano. But the w1000x still has that issue. Adele's voice espically can bring out the VERY rare harshness in the treble. How ever a good THICK tube does help, but at the loss of sound stage and bass tightness. Still I'm not at ALL sensitive to Treble. It doesn't and hasn't physically caused an issues with me for a while. Just a quality thing. It sounds bad, but again. With many mods the w1000x does not have as many issues as it used to. Although edm is still a little too... ENERGETIC for my tastes, but that's what those woody mids are for. detracting from that not 100% perfect treble.

Still I need to buy one. How would a D7k Fair out of something like a Matrix M Stage? [I have and ALWAYS belive that headphones make a great investment! Screw gold, every one wants a Modded w1000x and the like <3] 

i think that'll be pretty good. the D7k aren't picky with amping, not as much as the fostex at least. 

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #1,001 of 3,438
Quote:

i think that'll be pretty good. the D7k aren't picky with amping, not as much as the fostex at least. 

What's the impedance on the D7k. I'm about to purchase a Little Dot 1+ [as I like to have a high current hybrid Tube in my collection] with lots of aftermarket tubes including these GE JAN 5654W

the GE JAN tubes are very grado ish in sound, my seller recommends them with really THICK cans, as the tubes thing out the mids. And add a lot of punch to the spectrum as well as a good sense of treble! 

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #1,002 of 3,438
Quote:
What's the impedance on the D7k. I'm about to purchase a Little Dot 1+ [as I like to have a high current hybrid Tube in my collection] with lots of aftermarket tubes including these GE JAN 5654W

the GE JAN tubes are very grado ish in sound, my seller recommends them with really THICK cans, as the tubes thing out the mids. And add a lot of punch to the spectrum as well as a good sense of treble! 

i wouldn't want grado sound on D7ks, rather something neutral or on the warming side with good bass being the most important thing. d7k have enough treble, i wouldn't want more lol. 

anyways, the d7k have 25 ohms impedance last time i checked.

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #1,003 of 3,438
Quote:

i wouldn't want grado sound on D7ks, rather something neutral or on the warming side with good bass being the most important thing. d7k have enough treble, i wouldn't want more lol. 

anyways, the d7k have 25 ohms impedance last time i checked.

Well It will be ineteresting to see how works with my w1000x of which could use a more airy smoother treble honestly. And by Grado Sound he menat high treble detail and air. Still I'll hear it for my self! And let you guys know 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back