Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Mar 6, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #451 of 3,438
Quote:

Yes I did for that brief test. And today I tried feeding my HP-A8 as the DAC and the WA7 as amp-only mode. This amp actually makes the TH-600 sound closer to the TH-900. With the HP-A8, the difference between the two sounded greater (which to me puts the TH-600 priced accordingly). But with the WA7 amp, I feel it's got great synergy with the TH-600 that it makes that headphone extremely great value for money.

I don't know what MuppetFace was driving her TH-600's with but if it was with an amp that's great synergy (with the headphones), I can see why she said that the TH-600 sound close to the TH-900s.

That sounds great!
Maybe I'll grab a pair of TH-600 sometime... And maybe a WA7 as well. :wink:

Mar 6, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #452 of 3,438
Quote:

I haven't seen the Pros but I had the DJs up until recently.  I loved the sound but didn't like the appearance at all.  It felt and looked cheap in comparison to what I paid for it.  I know that will stir up a few people but just being honest with my opinion. :) 

The sound was excellent though.  I may yet get a pair of Pros and see if I prefer them in black vs the white...to me the white seemed to make them look cheaper.  I get the whole, "well it's so people are less likely to steal them." and while that may be true, you're still paying around $1k for them and if it looks cheap, it looks cheap.  Some may be OK with that, but I wasn't... not for the price.

I'm with you on the aesthetics of the SigDJ... while they didn't look quite as atrocious as they do in the pictures, I thought they were absolutely horrid looking. The white color was a problem (as was the fact that the porous material comprising the outside of the cans tended to make the white look really dingy), and the right-angled headband just looks ridiculous IMO. The sound was incredibly smooth, and if I was into a super smooth sound signature, I would've loved them-- but I'm into tone and texture, and this smoothed them over unnecessarily IMO. But I can understand why some people would love them-- they tend to make everything sound bassy, smooth, and good, if not particularly well textured. 

I may check out the SigPros some day, and I hope the black looks less obnoxious than the white. 

As always, YMMV, and my opinion has nothing to do with anybody else's valuation system for appearances or anything else. 

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #453 of 3,438
I don't think this question has been asked yet so here I go: to TH600 owners, do the headphones come with a stand? :D I'm a real sucker for extras.

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #454 of 3,438
Quote:

I'm with you on the aesthetics of the SigDJ... while they didn't look quite as atrocious as they do in the pictures, I thought they were absolutely horrid looking. The white color was a problem (as was the fact that the porous material comprising the outside of the cans tended to make the white look really dingy), and the right-angled headband just looks ridiculous IMO. The sound was incredibly smooth, and if I was into a super smooth sound signature, I would've loved them-- but I'm into tone and texture, and this smoothed them over unnecessarily IMO. But I can understand why some people would love them-- they tend to make everything sound bassy, smooth, and good, if not particularly well textured. 

I may check out the SigPros some day, and I hope the black looks less obnoxious than the white. 

As always, YMMV, and my opinion has nothing to do with anybody else's valuation system for appearances or anything else. 

Well said.  In regards to the TH-600, I think they look pretty sleek with the stealth black, though I would have liked to have seen some platinum used in the lettering.  I think it would have went well with the black.  :)

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #456 of 3,438
Quote:

Well said.  In regards to the TH-600, I think they look pretty sleek with the stealth black, though I would have liked to have seen some platinum used in the lettering.  I think it would have went well with the black.  :)

Oh yeah... I think these are sharp as all get out already, but that would've been even a touch better. Or maybe nickel, as that would look understated and awesome with the black... *drool*

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #457 of 3,438
Where did you guys get these? I can't find a place where they sell it...

Mar 10, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #458 of 3,438
Quote:
Where did you guys get these? I can't find a place where they sell it...

Mine's a loaner from Fostex (of which I've since sent over to Shigzeo for him to review). MuppetFace bought her TH-600 off Rakuten/Tenso? Alternatively there's PriceJapan too.

Mar 14, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #460 of 3,438
Very very likey this headphone (thanks, Sean). But damn you, Fostex. 

It's the rawness and forward mid-upper mids that really really get me. Round bass is a nice touch and as noticed, good placement, pretty wide/sharp soundstage for a closed headphone. Damn. 

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #461 of 3,438
Very very likey this headphone (thanks, Sean). But damn you, Fostex. 

It's the rawness and forward mid-upper mids that really really get me. Round bass is a nice touch and as noticed, good placement, pretty wide/sharp soundstage for a closed headphone. Damn. 

Phew...you were supposed to receive them last Sunday but kept quiet & that got me worried.

What amp are you driving them with?

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #462 of 3,438
I was not in on Sunday but my wife picked them up. Sorry, been so damn busy. I am driving them with the Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear, a favourite of mine for the Beyer DT880 600Ω. The Fostex is of course much more sensitive, which presents a number of problems with rather high voltage amps, but the linear is a very very good match. 

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #464 of 3,438
There are a number of headphones that sit at price points that are hardly indicative of their audio 'performance'. The DT880 series is one now, that can be had for a song and is worth far more. Fostex' high end models don't seem to cater to cost/performance directly, but follow somewhat closely boutique Japanese manufacturers by making semi-unique phones with good/great sound but rather high bills of sale. I have no problem with that as I feel that a product should fit its niche, not someone else's niche. If the manufacturer is going 100% for cost/performance, then of course, 200$ should net the best sound under 700$ or something like that, but if the manufacturer is going for something else, then so be it - god bless 'em. 

We need more variety in the headphone world. Too few luxury brands, too many do-it-all Toyota brands that flip food at the wall and hope consumers buy it up.

Cost/performance, I don't see the TH600 as a 1000-1200$ headphone. It does sound good though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back