Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Jul 28, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #916 of 3,438
Iirc, the Valhalla is made for high impedance cans. It won't be a proper match for low impedance, sensitive cans.

Jul 28, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #917 of 3,438
Quote:
Iirc, the Valhalla is made for high impedance cans. It won't be a proper match for low impedance, sensitive cans.

Oh I know about about OTL amps, but the TH-600s are super sensitive and don't need much current. I paried up the D2000 with the Lyr and there was of course a noticeable hum. But I did love the lush sound of tubes with the D2000; it did wonders for the recessed-mids and peaky treble. Just wondering if the Vahalla would sound nice with the TH600. I'll probably have to upgrade the driver tubes though...

Jul 29, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #920 of 3,438
You missed my point entirely. I understand the device pulls double duty, what I was trying to say was that people buy the Cantata for the DAC section, not because it is an AIO unit. Actually. many people don't appreciate the AIO units for a multitude of reasons. If one were to pick up a Cantata for a significant discount that's great, my point in quoting his two posts were that he preached that he doesn't understand how people spend 4k+ on DAC (meaning why people buy expensive DACs that are overrated?) but he himself has an expensive DAC. It's like Donald Trump giving financial advice on how to budget and not overspend, it's hypocritical. Now that's not to say the Cantata is not an excellent component because it is and it deserves all the praise it gets. But that isn't the point. 

LOL never realised I sounded like a preacher

Well take a look over there...
Where...there
Is she trying to get out of that clitares
Liberation for women is what I preach... Preacher man

Jul 29, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #921 of 3,438
Oh I know about about OTL amps, but the TH-600s are super sensitive and don't need much current. I paried up the D2000 with the Lyr and there was of course a noticeable hum. But I did love the lush sound of tubes with the D2000; it did wonders for the recessed-mids and peaky treble. Just wondering if the Vahalla would sound nice with the TH600. I'll probably have to upgrade the driver tubes though...

I used the TH-600 with the Lyr for a few weeks and had no noise(tube rush or hum). The phones paired well with orange globes. I liked the siemens even better. Brimars and vokshod rockets recessed the midrange too much though.

Jul 29, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #922 of 3,438
Listened AT W3000ANV yesterday on my rig (Linn Akurate DS/0/D -> LynxAudio HA-61 -> headphones), compared them to my TH-600 of course... didn't find any advantages in AT, to my ears TH-600 is much better on any music I tried (rock, jazz, vocal, pop, Anime OST's)... maybe my rig is at fault, I don't know, but W3000ANV disappoint me very much, it's surprised me, I was expecting much more from them according to reviews in the net... or maybe TH-600 just so good 
wink.gif

Jul 29, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #923 of 3,438
Quote:
Listened AT W3000ANV yesterday on my rig (Linn Akurate DS/0/D -> LynxAudio HA-61 -> headphones), compared them to my TH-600 of course... didn't find any advantages in AT, to my ears TH-600 is much better on any music I tried (rock, jazz, vocal, pop, Anime OST's)... maybe my rig is at fault, I don't know, but W3000ANV disappoint me very much, it's surprised me, I was expecting much more from them according to reviews in the net... or maybe TH-600 just so good 
wink.gif

The W3KANV are not for everyone. They have a particular sound, one that isn't agreeable with the masses. I've yet to hear them from a good rig, but from my initial impressions, I would tend to agree. 

Also - my comparisons/review of the TH-600 vs TH-900 are almost done, if anyone is interested in buying a pair of TH-600s, let me know. I'll have a FS post up in a few days if not. 

Jul 29, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #924 of 3,438
Quote:

The W3KANV are not for everyone. They have a particular sound, one that isn't agreeable with the masses. I've yet to hear them from a good rig, but from my initial impressions, I would tend to agree. 

Also - my comparisons/review of the TH-600 vs TH-900 are almost done, if anyone is interested in buying a pair of TH-600s, let me know. I'll have a FS post up in a few days if not. 

PM'd!

Jul 29, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #925 of 3,438
how different are W3kANV vs. W5k? 

i hated W5k

Jul 29, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #926 of 3,438
Quote:
how different are W3kANV vs. W5k? 

i hated W5k

I can't comment on the comparison because I haven't heard the W5K, but the W3KANV have a warm sound with very lush mids. The treble was a bit wonky for my tastes. Bass had me wanting more extension and control, a bit sloppy. Let's just put it this way. The headphone looks so much better than it sounds, to me. Still very good if you can find one for a decent price. 

Aug 1, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #927 of 3,438
I'm considering buying a pair of TH600, anyone compared them with the Denon D600 ?
I love the D600 signature, perfect amount of bass for me, very fun and musical :)

How does the TH600 in comparaison ?

Aug 1, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #929 of 3,438
Can you say a bit more ? :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back