Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Feb 27, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #376 of 3,438
Quote:
These have shipped from Japan, so I should have them by the end of the week.

Great news. I still haven't passed mine to Shigzeo yet and hanging on a little longer till I meet him.

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #377 of 3,438
My friend best set up Fostex TH 600

He just received his Fostex TH 600 this morning 

source : Ibasso HDPR 10 Japan Version
amp : Wagnus Japan studio monitoring amp 
headphone : Fostex TH 600
cable : mini to mini  wireworld Equinox 6  for Japan only 

Feb 28, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #378 of 3,438
Nice!! What are his initial thoughts and does he have any of the older Denon line to compare them too?? D5k D7k and what not?

Mar 1, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #379 of 3,438
The TH600 is on my head this morning, so here are some very preliminary thoughts. Subject to change 'n' all that.

First I should say these aren't a "D7000 mk2," so those looking for the D7000 sound should try to find a pair of D7000s instead. The bass is definitely reigned-in and controlled more than the D7000, though keep in mind I'm basing this off my experience with the earlier production models of the D7000 and not the later tweaked versions. The difference may be less substantial when compared against the later D7000s. Now compared to the TH900, this is where it gets interesting for me. Could just be a case of wish fulfillment, but the bass doesn't seem as voluminous as on the TH900 either. Unfortunately the bass also seems a little less textured and dynamic compared to the TH900 as well however.

Mids are very similar to the TH900---ie. less recessed compared to the D7000, but still with a slight hint of recession that becomes more evident on male vocals---though again, they fall short of the TH900 in that they just don't sound as open and effortless. AnakChan was correct in his comparison to the TH900's presentation: the TH600 doesn't do imaging and spatial cues quite as well as its older sister. However it's still ahead of the Signature Pros and LCD-2s to my ears. The upper registers are handled well, with a satisfying treble that doesn't become too strident or have some of the glare evident on the D7000, but by the same token is once again falls short of the TH900 in that it falls a wee bit flat, lacking that sparkly effervescent quality the TH900 can have on certain recordings.

Notice the pattern? I'm basically saying these are a step up from the D7000 but a step down from the TH900 in my humble opinion. That's sort of what a lot of folks expected, I think. What I didn't expect however was just how close these come to the TH900 in most areas. From the above impressions, it probably sounded like I was ragging on them a bit, but in actuality the TH600 sounds very good. I'm exaggerating the differences somewhat to highlight them, though other folks may get different milage of course. The biggest difference for me is in the whole gestalt: the TH600 just doesn't sound as "alive" and vibrant as the TH900. It's not a huge difference, but it's there, and it's important I think.

I could perhaps summarize it best with the following metaphor: the TH600 is a softdrink that has been sitting on the table for an hour or two, whereas the TH900 is a softdrink straight from the refrigerator.

Having said that, I think I see where AnakChan is coming from when he says calling the TH600 a "mini TH900" is doing it a bit of a disservice. It's a bit too early for me to be truly comfortable saying this, but I'm hearing some differences between the two in the lower FR. The TH600 is by no means a bass light headphone, but the mid-bass seems slightly less emphasized relative to the midrange. Also as the bass transitions into the mids on the TH900 there's something of a bit of "suck out," and on the TH600 I'm not detecting that so far. If I had to guess, I'd say Fostex might have dialed the bass back just a wee bit because it's simply not as refined as the TH900, so having more of it might end up compromising the overall clarity of the sound which is what Fostex seems to be prioritizing with these transducers. That's obviously just speculation on my part though.

So where does that leave the TH600? The lineage of Fostex's OEM work for Denon is evident as with the TH900, certainly. However I still maintain that those looking for a D7000 replacement specifically would be better served tracking down a used pair (and paying less). The TH600 is still a fun headphone in my opinion, but I can see preferring the more extreme-sounding D7000 for applications like movie watching. The TH600 will appeal to those looking for a headphone that, like the TH900, straddles the line between a more fun approach and a more accurate, reference style of listening. It's a definite U-shape, but it possesses a level of subtlety and refinement that keeps you from feeling like you're missing out on details. You can get lost in the music just as easily as you can sit there analyzing all the nuances.

Finally, a few words on comfort and build quality. These seem to clamp more than the TH900 right out of the box, but overall they pretty much retain that legendary Denon / Fostex comfort. The earpads are thinner and more uniform in diameter compared to the D7000, and they appear to be made from the same synthetic egg protein as those on the TH900 (though they don't smell the same for some reason?). The weird lopsided cup issue that is present on my TH900 is absent on these. The cups themselves are very sleek looking and well made, though their texture is a bit unpleasant to the touch for me personally. I'm definitely partial to the TH900's super deluxe finish.

Mar 1, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #380 of 3,438
I honestly think people need to compare the 2012 D7000 vs the TH-600. It's been documented to be improved and tighter.

As it stands, saying the TH-600 is superior to the OLD D7000 isn't exactly fair, as the D7000 has been improved since then.

Mar 1, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #381 of 3,438
Great out-of-the-box impressions MF. I must say that I found the clamping force to be slightly more than my TH-900 too but I didn't mention it 'cos I had my TH-900 for so long whilst these TH-600s are pretty new demos. One other thing I noticed is that the TH-600 pads are also more "full" in shape - when I saw them it immediately reminded me of the Lawton pads whereas my TH-900 seemed to have developed some "visceral fat" over the past few months.

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #384 of 3,438
Quote:
I honestly think people need to compare the 2012 D7000 vs the TH-600, and not the OLDER D7000. It's been documented to be quite improved and tightened.

As it stands, saying the TH-600 is superior to the OLD D7000 isn't exactly fair, as the D7000 has been improved since then.

That's why I noted it in my impressions. For those curious, my D7000s are from 2011. I believe there was---what?---one more update before they were discontinued? I don't think the difference is as vast as with some of the earlier pre-2009 versions. Still I wanted to note it just to be sure. Having said this, I think it's a relevant comparison because plenty of people own older D7000s. I wasn't trying to make it a contest between the two, just post some comparisons people could use as another data point.

Quote:

They are made from egg-shell protein .

Yup. I noted that in my impressions too.

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #385 of 3,438
Thanks for the impressions MF, very helpful!

Will be listening to a pair of TH-900s this weekend - definitely the headphone I'm most looking forward to hearing. We'll see if the sound blows me away enough to stomach a purchase.

If it sounds impressive but not $1.6k+ worthy, this sounds like a more financially reasonable alternative.
redface.gif

Mar 1, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #387 of 3,438
Very nice impressions MuppetFace, the comparison between the D7000 and the TH-600 is much appreciated. I'm looking for a rather large improvement over the D7000's so I ended up pulling the trigger on a pair of TH-900. I hope the sound justifies the price...

well.. atleast for me.
darthsmile.gif

Mar 1, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #388 of 3,438
Those are some great early impressions MF.

Personally having found the D7000's bass to exhibit the 'cook my brain' effect, how would you compare the control and resolution of the bass on the TH-600's? How is the headphones overall ability to retrieve detail when compared to the D7000's?

Thanks again and I look forward to your post-honeymoon impressions.

Cheers.

Mar 1, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #389 of 3,438
Thanks for the detailed impression, MF. I wonder how the TH600 and 900 stack up against the German flagships, like the T1 and HD800. My T1 pretty much blows my stock D7000 out of the water for balance, sound staging and accuracy.

It seems that the Fostex TH line has less recessed midrange than the Denon Dx000 line, however David in his flagship comparison thread said that the TH900's midrange is actually more recessed than that of the D7000. I wonder which one it is.

Mar 1, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #390 of 3,438
Quote:
Thanks for the detailed impression, MF. I wonder how the TH600 and 900 stack up against the German flagships, like the T1 and HD800. My T1 pretty much blows my stock D7000 out of the water for balance, sound staging and accuracy.

It seems that the Fostex TH line has less recessed midrange than the Denon Dx000 line, however David in his flagship comparison thread said that the TH900's midrange is actually more recessed than that of the D7000. I wonder which one it is.

I really don't think you can compare the T1 and HD 800 to the TH600 or TH900, one group of headphones is specifically designed to have a very accurate/balanced presentation, while the other group is specifically made for a "fun" sound signature. Comparing them would be futile IMO. I tend to not agree with David's impressions of the TH-900 vs D7000's midrange. I have the D7000, and soon to be TH-900, and when I listen to my D7000's the midrange definitely is quite recessed compared to more balanced headphones. I can't imagine the TH-900 having more recessed mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back