Fostex TE-05 Japanese Price, Release Date Announced
Sep 24, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #348 of 392
Sound
smily_headphones1.gif
, I guessing because I had them once
smily_headphones1.gif

So it's not...Unless Fostex states it is. If it were, Fostex will be rambling about it as it's good propaganda. 

Nov 25, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #350 of 392
I've skimmed this thread and googled, but could not find a confirmation that Shure, UE, or Westone cables with mic work with the TE-05. I'm seriously considering the Fostex, but I need iPhone controls and mic. Thanks for any info.

Dec 2, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #351 of 392
Got them yesterday from B&H (last pair). Love them. The single dynamic driver made right. Before I thought hybrids like Dunus 1K and 2K are the best. Fostex easily beat them.
Bass is very deep and refined. Reminds me of Sure 846 rumbling bass.
Mids are forward but not overwhelming other frequencies.
Treble is just right, without any sign of sibilance.
Wide and most important deep sound stage.
Instrument separation and positioning is superb.
Vocals are so intimate and lifelike, especially female.
The ear pieces are very light and basically disappearing while in my ears.
I love the cable, it's light and non micro-phonic.
The only problem, I can't use it while in bed, they do stick out of the ears a lot.
Very well done and none expensive IEMs. The do sound better when they cost.

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #352 of 392
So after all the good impressions I went to buy myself some TE-05, no luck as it seems like they have been constantly out of stock around here... Found something else though!

Got them for ~USD250, not exactly cheap for a pair of single BA IEM. Same price range with the Ety ER-4 (at their MSRP).

Dec 9, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #353 of 392
^This is the first as far as I know.  You need to create a separate thread. Please post impressions.  I've been eyeing the TE-07 since I took notice in the CamJam 2014 video.  If possible, a comparison with the TE-05 would be icing on the cake.  Congrats on your purchase.

Dec 9, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #354 of 392
  Got them yesterday from B&H (last pair). Love them. The single dynamic driver made right. Before I thought hybrids like Dunus 1K and 2K are the best. Fostex easily beat them.
Bass is very deep and refined. Reminds me of Sure 846 rumbling bass.
Mids are forward but not overwhelming other frequencies.
Treble is just right, without any sign of sibilance.
Wide and most important deep sound stage.
Instrument separation and positioning is superb.
Vocals are so intimate and lifelike, especially female.
The ear pieces are very light and basically disappearing while in my ears.
I love the cable, it's light and non micro-phonic.
The only problem, I can't use it while in bed, they do stick out of the ears a lot.
Very well done and none expensive IEMs. The do sound better when they cost.

I see in your signature the A71 as well. A short comparison of what  you think of those two would be interesting :) Your description of the TE-05 sounds similar to the A71 descriptions.

So after all the good impressions I went to buy myself some TE-05, no luck as it seems like they have been constantly out of stock around here... Found something else though!

Got them for ~USD250, not exactly cheap for a pair of single BA IEM. Same price range with the Ety ER-4 (at their MSRP).

Ahh, a guinea pig. Pricey indeed! Good luck with them. Hope they turn out well
popcorn.gif

Dec 9, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #355 of 392
They both very good Iems. And they signature is very similar. A71 is a little bit more mid forward. For me A71 ergonomically better - lighter and fit better in my ears. I just got JVC FX850 and this one beat them both in sound quality. Of course, its pricier. But the sound is just great. Very warm and bass is superb.

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #356 of 392
I've skimmed this thread and googled, but could not find a confirmation that Shure, UE, or Westone cables with mic work with the TE-05. I'm seriously considering the Fostex, but I need iPhone controls and mic. Thanks for any info.

I've just received the UE 900/s cable and while it does work the connectors on the earphones do not click into place so there is no secure mechanical connection. The connectors look very slightly longer on the UE cable (and I mean very). I'm a bit disappointed but will persevere in case there's a way of making them fit. 

Jan 20, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #358 of 392

I built an upgrade cable using the same mmcx connector as the Shures. Works great but there is no locking mech.still stays in fine for normal usage. The biggest concern would be losing a bud. They stay connected fine when in my ears, but they detach quickly when they move freely.

Mar 4, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #359 of 392
So I just discovered these in my quest for a great pair of portables that won't break the bank, but won't leave me wanting when compared to my full-size cans.

I skimmed through this entire thread. After looking at some of these impressions, is it safe to assume that the SE215 and MA750 I'm considering don't hold a candle to the TE-05?

The TE-05's sound signature sounds like it'd be right up my alley, but let me just confirm here: boosted sub-bass, neutral mid-bass, full midrange, sparkly treble, wide/deep soundstage. Is that about right?

Should I be worried about sibilance? (possibly a deal breaker)

How's the comfort? Durability? Isolation versus the Shure (good enough for riding the subway, walking down city streets, etc.)?

Sorry for the onslaught of questions, but it's been a while since I've owned or heard any decent IEMs. Hell, I'm not even 100% on going the IEM route, versus getting something like the V-Moda M-100 or Sennheiser Momentum2 Over-Ear. :confused:

Mar 11, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #360 of 392
Nobody? :frowning2:

Well, I purchased the SE215s last week, and I'm still not sure if I like them. Luckily I ordered them from Amazon, so they may go back. I may order the MA750 before I do that though so I can decide between the two.

Still interested in the TE-05, but Amazon has them priced much higher ($192 CAD from a 3rd party) than the Shure ($125 CAD) and RHA ($125 CAD). However, Headphone Bar has the Fostex on sale for $130 CAD, but it's final sale.

I rather not take a $130 gamble on the TE-05. :) So any input would be greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back