Fostex TE-05 Japanese Price, Release Date Announced
Mar 11, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #361 of 392
Nobody? :frowning2:

Well, I purchased the SE215s last week, and I'm still not sure if I like them. Luckily I ordered them from Amazon, so they may go back. I may order the MA750 before I do that though so I can decide between the two.

Still interested in the TE-05, but Amazon has them priced much higher ($192 CAD from a 3rd party) than the Shure ($125 CAD) and RHA ($125 CAD). However, Headphone Bar has the Fostex on sale for $130 CAD, but it's final sale.

I rather not take a $130 gamble on the TE-05. :) So any input would be greatly appreciated.

Se215 is kinda of like a neutral iem with not much bass compared to Fostex. If you want something you can use in commuting, I would recommand se215 or the ma750. As isolation on the fostex is pretty poor. If you are considering replacing cables in future fostex may not be a better choice as the cable from shure does fit the fostex. But there is no locking mechanism. Which makes it pretty loose if you move a lot, having risk of losing one of the earbud. Btw, both have the same mmcx connector. While the rha have no replaceable cable, but it comes with 3 years warranty. Depend on the genre you listen to though. I have not audition Rha ma750 before, so I can't give comment about it.

Mar 11, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #362 of 392
Se215 is kinda of like a neutral iem with not much bass compared to Fostex. If you want something you can use in commuting, I would recommand se215 or the ma750. As isolation on the fostex is pretty poor. If you are considering replacing cables in future fostex may not be a better choice as the cable from shure does fit the fostex. But there is no locking mechanism. Which makes it pretty loose if you move a lot, having risk of losing one of the earbud. Btw, both have the same mmcx connector. While the rha have no replaceable cable, but it comes with 3 years warranty. Depend on the genre you listen to though. I have not audition Rha ma750 before, so I can't give comment about it.

Wow, so the Fostex is even bassier than the SE215? The Shure is already the bassiest 'phone I have, which is crazy to me considering it's an IEM. I like the bass though, especially when on the go, but I don't think I need any more. The SE215's isolation is just amazing. My main issue with the SE215 is the slight harshness I'm noticing in the upper mids on some tracks. Also, while the imaging is actually pretty good, I do wish the soundstage was wider. More detail wouldn't hurt either.

Anyway, I did not know about the TE-05's lack of a locking mechanism. The replaceable cable of those IEMs was a big plus, but now that changes things a lot. As does the TE-05's poor isolation.

I think I'll take your advice and stick with the MA750 or SE215. I'll go order the RHA now, and see which one I like better.

Thanks for your help, Whaleshark12. :)

Mar 11, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #363 of 392
Wow, so the Fostex is even bassier than the SE215? The Shure is already the bassiest 'phone I have, which is crazy to me considering it's an IEM. I like the bass though, especially when on the go, but I don't think I need any more. The SE215's isolation is just amazing. My main issue with the SE215 is the slight harshness I'm noticing in the upper mids on some tracks. Also, while the imaging is actually pretty good, I do wish the soundstage was wider. More detail wouldn't hurt either.

Anyway, I did not know about the TE-05's lack of a locking mechanism. The replaceable cable of those IEMs was a big plus, but now that changes things a lot. As does the TE-05's poor isolation.

I think I'll take your advice and stick with the MA750 or SE215. I'll go order the RHA now, and see which one I like better.

Thanks for your help, Whaleshark12. :)

Well, there is some other iem have more bass and much better isolation. Like the Yamaha eph100, something that isolate almost 80% of noise for me . I can't even hear the train engine sound even I'm on the train. Btw, fostex does not lack of locking mechanism, it's just that the cable of fostex have different locking mechanism. Which if you wan to replace you can only get only their stock cable as it locks in place. Or you could try find aftermarket cable from lunashop for the fostex. Which cost around 20usd? Another with remote is 60 usd. Well if Sq is your top priority then I actually would recommand fostex as it sound pretty good tbh. Rha I have not tried before, so you can take my input as a grain of salt. Maybe you can check out few more iem like the Za duoza, kc06A and others too.

Edit: I mean Yamaha win fostex in isolation, but sq fostex would be better than yamaha.

Mar 11, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #364 of 392
If sibilance is a killer you may want to pass on these. I personally love them, but there are a handful of songs on my playlist that I avoid because of the sibilance. As far as comparisons go, I haven't listened to many other IEMs in this range other the B&W's and the TE-05 is hands down better.

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #365 of 392
Got them from Headphone bar, at that discount. I did not get that it was a final sale on the site. Maybe it was, but i certainly don't intend to return them. I actually feel I got a good deal, I am really happy, but can not compare them to SE 215. I have RHA 750 though. I find the TE 05 better in all manners. More spatious, more detail, full sounding (you feel more that you get all the sound than with the 750), even better bass (to my ear they have about the same quantity, but the emphasis is not in the same place in the bass spectrum: the TE 05 seems maby a little emphasis in the lower bass as the bump in the 750 seems more in the mid bass). The 750 does have a small bump in the lower highs that is engaging and fun that is not there in the TE 05, but overall on an A-B comparison, I always end up preferring the TE 05 for it's comparatively mor detailed, spacious, full and coherent. Mind you, I found the 750 very good and pleasant before I got the 05, but I found they could sound a bit veiled on some track.

Jun 8, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #370 of 392
I'm sorry but the comparison won't happen since I can't fit the TE-05 properly 
redface.gif

Oct 20, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #373 of 392
For those who bought it, are you guys still using TE-05 and how's the cable after a few months? is it still working, anything that changed after listening to it for quite sometime? TIA!

Oct 20, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #374 of 392
For those who bought it, are you guys still using TE-05 and how's the cable after a few months? is it still working, anything that changed after listening to it for quite sometime? TIA!

Been listening to mine for 7 month now. MMX connectors were a problem from the onset. If I move to much, sound jitters or cuts in one ear. Cable itself is fine so far: light, on the short side, but fine.

As for the sound interruption, it never got worst. Situation gets much better after cleaning the connections with tooth brush and contact cleaner, but id does not last. I do net get ofthen a care free listening session while skating or doing light work (when mooving), but a twist of the connector or a disconnect/connect sequence gets it going fine again for a couple of tunes.

So basically, my experience has been sub par concerning the MMX connector, and no amount of cleaning resolved the issue 100%, but it does make it much better for a while. I still love the sound on these. All the hassle did not stop me from using them. I'm looking around for better ways of cleaning the connectors, or for after market cables less expensive than those sold by Fostex, with no luck so far.

Oct 20, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #375 of 392
@Marteaux

Thank you for replying! I am using AT IM-02, and so far I loved the sound of it but sometimes am thinking of trying a different IEM and a different sound sig, am wondering if this one is much better than IM02 or somewhat same SS. I am thinking of getting one but still trying to read the reviews am finding online... still undecided ATM. Would you recommend this for me? or maybe a diff IEM? my budget is only up to $150. Am looking for something that has some bass but not too bassy, IM02 is just ok for me when it comes to bass...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back