Fostex T60RP
Jan 31, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #121 of 1,450
$300 USD, starting to wonder if I should just buy the ZMF Classics or a set of T50's and try the mr.speakers baffles.

Recreating a Mad Dog or buying ZMF Classics ≠ T60RP, so I don't know what you're thinking about :)

See the post below yours? Cue the banging your head into a brick wall emoji...

If you want to buy it from B&H (Reputable, for sure), just cancel from Amazon JP and buy from B&H! Probably better for warranty too. I have so many replacement parts that I'm not really concerned, personally. Exciting to see that they're due for release in the US soon though!

Jan 31, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #122 of 1,450
Recreating a Mad Dog or buying ZMF Classics ≠ T60RP, so I don't know what you're thinking about :)

If you want to buy it from B&H (Reputable, for sure), just cancel from Amazon JP and buy from B&H! Probably better for warranty too. I have so many replacement parts that I'm not really concerned, personally. Exciting to see that they're due for release in the US soon though!
Going to give it about 1 more week. Because I'm stubborn. And because it's close to a $50 difference. So also because I'm being cheap.

Jan 31, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #123 of 1,450

Sorry I dont follow. Do you have experience with the ones I mentioned or have some input that would help me make a decision?

Jan 31, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #124 of 1,450
I'm getting the impression these lack low sub bass quantity (even if they "extend" that far, most Planars I find disappoint me there). The ZMF Classic seems to have more in the low subs than everything I've seen, and seems to have better controlled high end, instead of having issues with the peaks some of the brighter Planars have. Very few reviews though.

Jan 31, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #125 of 1,450
I'm getting the impression these lack low sub bass quantity (even if they "extend" that far, most Planars I find disappoint me there). The ZMF Classic seems to have more in the low subs than everything I've seen, and seems to have better controlled high end, instead of having issues with the peaks some of the brighter Planars have. Very few reviews though.

Yes, these definitely lack low sub-bass quantity. The driver is definitely capable, since it's still the same RP driver that's been used in the Tx0RP variants for a while now. The changes are indeed a "semi-open" cup in the Mahogany cup's design, combined with what looks like a unique reenvisioned baffle. Pads on the T60RP are actually a bonus as they're not as cavernous as ZMF or MrSpeakers' Alpha pads.

As much as I like stock T60RP, I'm tempted to start modding them to see where my tastes land me. Waveguides have been extremely fun to play with, when building my various variations of Open Alpha headphones. I attempted a very, very "open" cup design that I'm also going to see how it compares to a stock T60RP and T50RP MK3. Let's just say I have something like six donor pairs of Tx0RP and a few mods already in-flight... so it's likely the T60RP will become another platform to throw my money into. :wink:

Jan 31, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #126 of 1,450
Going to give it about 1 more week. Because I'm stubborn. And because it's close to a $50 difference. So also because I'm being cheap.
Update. At least I finally heard from Amazon, telling me there's been a delay. That's honestly all I needed, was some kind of acknowledgment. Still, didn't say anything like when they may be coming.

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #130 of 1,450
A
And I finally gave up. On Japan anyway. Ordered them elsewhere from here in the States in the hope of seeing them before I die. Price difference is only about $30 this time, so not too bad. Hopefully next time I post here it will be with some impressions.

Feb 20, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #131 of 1,450
I tested these while in NYC for CanJam 2018. I went to B&H Photo Video the next day where they were and played them direct from my cell phone. I also tested the Dekoni Blue versions at the CanJam. Similar sound. Warmer with better bass than stock. The Blue were a bit smoother. These have a slight peak in the high mids lower treble (probably 6-8 kHz region). Despite great bass warmth and fullness, good impact, they did roll off in the lowest sub bass (below 30-40 hz). Since I mix and master music, it is always a concern and I've come to expect no planar ever to supply enough quantity and extension in that area. Audeze and Oppo reach down there, but do it at a low quantity. Warm cans like this have quantity above it (60-80 hz) but roll off too soon. It won't be really an issue for most music fans and audiophiles. I'm hyper sensitive to highs, and obsessed with getting full response at 10-20 hz. Yes I can hear that low, tested down to about 5 hz. What is expected with your pair is supremely comfortable, adjustable, good looking, fairly light weight, for planar headphones. From 50 hz to 5 kHz they are like the Blue - full yet not muddy, lifelike, also massively better than the stock. Don't let me discourage you, as I'm an audio engineer just doing his nit picking. An Advanced GT-R prototype planar was the only open or semi open planar that really slammed at 20 hz at CanJam. None of the HiFiMan quite reached. The Audeze got there quietly. You just can't beat a good dynamic for that. Those unsure on these, wait, do not pay a lot more to get it sooner. B&H has it in stock (I think, it was on the floor so you should be able to order it). They are great people, great customer service, and usually its the best prices you can find.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #132 of 1,450
Re: "An Advanced GT-R prototype planar was the only open or semi open planar that really slammed at 20 hz at CanJam."

Which one was that, if you don't mind my asking? I heard a couple big-$$ open planars that sounded quite amazing (though in very different ways). Wondered if it was one of those...

Feb 20, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #133 of 1,450
This is a smaller headphone, yet it fit my large head and my normal flatness but slightly larger diameter ears comfortably. It has the typical warm planar mids, and warm highs some may not like but for the treble sensitive, this was something I could listen to without fatigue and I was able to hear everything I need. What WAS an issue is how it is semi open. It lets you hear some outside sound as most do, but it's like a weird tunnel effect on that sound. Meaning, you don't want to use them in noisy environments - not just due to the noise level, but how it gets through these also.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/advanced-gt-r-planar-magnetic.864885

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #134 of 1,450
I tested these while in NYC for CanJam 2018. I went to B&H Photo Video the next day where they were and played them direct from my cell phone. I also tested the Dekoni Blue versions at the CanJam. Similar sound. Warmer with better bass than stock. The Blue were a bit smoother. These have a slight peak in the high mids lower treble (probably 6-8 kHz region). Despite great bass warmth and fullness, good impact, they did roll off in the lowest sub bass (below 30-40 hz). Since I mix and master music, it is always a concern and I've come to expect no planar ever to supply enough quantity and extension in that area. Audeze and Oppo reach down there, but do it at a low quantity. Warm cans like this have quantity above it (60-80 hz) but roll off too soon. It won't be really an issue for most music fans and audiophiles. I'm hyper sensitive to highs, and obsessed with getting full response at 10-20 hz. Yes I can hear that low, tested down to about 5 hz. What is expected with your pair is supremely comfortable, adjustable, good looking, fairly light weight, for planar headphones. From 50 hz to 5 kHz they are like the Blue - full yet not muddy, lifelike, also massively better than the stock. Don't let me discourage you, as I'm an audio engineer just doing his nit picking. An Advanced GT-R prototype planar was the only open or semi open planar that really slammed at 20 hz at CanJam. None of the HiFiMan quite reached. The Audeze got there quietly. You just can't beat a good dynamic for that. Those unsure on these, wait, do not pay a lot more to get it sooner. B&H has it in stock (I think, it was on the floor so you should be able to order it). They are great people, great customer service, and usually its the best prices you can find.

Thanks for posting this. Best explanation of Fostex planar bass vs. others I've yet read. Certainly wouldn't call it nitpicking since this is exactly the kind of info some of us are looking for; plus I learned a lot about audio from a studio engineer / mentor of mine and you guys know what you're talking about.

I held off pre-ordering the T60rp until someone confirmed (as you did) they had better bass than stock. Finding out about the Dekoni Audio Blue only added to that wait since they claim to have "extended bass response."

The T50rp mk3 has been one of my favorites so I'd likely be happy with either although the T60rp's balanced wiring and wood cups are hard to overlook, especially with both phones at the same price. Ultimately I'd like a (affordable) planar that combines my Oppo PM-3's bass quality with my Sony Z7's sub bass. Unless the Dekoni Blue is that I'll refocus on the T60rp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back