Fostex T60RP
Mar 4, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #151 of 1,450
thanks @George Taylor
Good to hear new fresh impressions. Can you compare t60rp with other planar you own or have heard. I am trying to make a choice between planar models in range of <=500$ but don`t have opportunity to try them all.
I'm away from the house this weekend, I'll try to write something up about that Monday evening.

Mar 4, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #153 of 1,450
Why in the world, just why, would they keep that same shape???? It's so limiting, you'd think fostex would have learned from Mr speakers, zmf, and even peasants like myself, that custom enclosures can bring so much more to that t50 driver. Not to mention it just looks ridiculous to have that same shape in wood, but hey, that's just my opinion. I'd still be interested in hearing one for sure!

Mar 4, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #154 of 1,450
Why in the world, just why, would they keep that same shape???? It's so limiting, you'd think fostex would have learned from Mr speakers, zmf, and even peasants like myself, that custom enclosures can bring so much more to that t50 driver. Not to mention it just looks ridiculous to have that same shape in wood, but hey, that's just my opinion. I'd still be interested in hearing one for sure!

Yea it was an opportunity to up the size of the driver and make something a little more stylish. It's basically a tuned t50rp in wood. So it's $140+ for wood cups.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #155 of 1,450
....$200-240 wood have made more sense.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #156 of 1,450
Yea it was an opportunity to up the size of the driver and make something a little more stylish. It's basically a tuned t50rp in wood. So it's $140+ for would cups.

And not attractive cups, to me at least. For 140 bucks you could get custom cups made by members here I believe. And much better looking. I feel like they missed a good opportunity here.

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #158 of 1,450
And not attractive cups, to me at least. For 140 bucks you could get custom cups made by members here I believe. And much better looking. I feel like they missed a good opportunity here.

Actually an attractive cups might sound horrible. I heard many T50rp mods with wood cups that sound really bad, and the wood cups cost more than $200.

BTW you also get the balanced mod which should cost at least $50 or even more. Many current T50rp mods that are selling around $300 do not even change the cups. So just don't ask a $300 headphone to be aesthetically pleasing as some $700 or $1000 T50rp mods. You get what you paid.

Since you said that I would be interested to check out if you have the list of members that can put an aesthetically pleasing wood cups to T50rps as well as tuning the sound to T60rp level, and do a balanced mod with all of the cost within $140. If there is one I will sell my T60rp and buy a T50rp to send to them lol.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #159 of 1,450
Actually an attractive cups might sound horrible. I heard many T50rp mods with wood cups that sound really bad, and the wood cups cost more than $200.

BTW you also get the balanced mod which should cost at least $50 or even more. Many current T50rp mods that are selling around $300 do not even change the cups. So just don't ask a $300 headphone to be aesthetically pleasing as some $700 or $1000 T50rp mods. You get what you paid.

Well yea, the 140 for cups is just a piece, you have to do all the modding yourself. All I'm saying here is, I'm not sure why they kept the same shape for the t60 when they could have changed it to something more aesthetically pleasing. But, I havnt heard the t60, so I'm just being negative again really. Those drivers are capable of alot more than that shape was able to unleash though, at least in plastic. But even changing it to wood you're still dealing with an uneven reflection surface as opposed to a regular dome shape. But hey, as stated, havnt heard them. If I hadn't spent so much time building my own mod I may be very slightly interested at 300 bucks. I am interested in the pad changes, and has anyone shown pics of the drivers? Any internal pics to see what they may have changed on the baffle?

Mar 4, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #160 of 1,450
Well yea, the 140 for cups is just a piece, you have to do all the modding yourself. All I'm saying here is, I'm not sure why they kept the same shape for the t60 when they could have changed it to something more aesthetically pleasing. But, I havnt heard the t60, so I'm just being negative again really. Those drivers are capable of alot more than that shape was able to unleash though, at least in plastic. But even changing it to wood you're still dealing with an uneven reflection surface as opposed to a regular dome shape. But hey, as stated, havnt heard them. If I hadn't spent so much time building my own mod I may be very slightly interested at 300 bucks. I am interested in the pad changes, and has anyone shown pics of the drivers? Any internal pics to see what they may have changed on the baffle?

T60rp is semi open, so the cup is not as significant to the sound as other closed back t50rp mods

Mar 5, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #161 of 1,450
I'm away from the house this weekend, I'll try to write something up about that Monday evening.
Not going to be doing this for a while I'm afraid. I have most of my headphones packed away for moving, all my other planars are for sure. Sorry I couldn't help you out.

Mar 6, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #163 of 1,450
I can tell you, the depth of the bass is greater on the T60RP than on just about any of my others. Can't comment on the speed of it though, would need to compare head to head for that.

Mar 6, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #164 of 1,450
Not going to be doing this for a while I'm afraid. I have most of my headphones packed away for moving, all my other planars are for sure. Sorry I couldn't help you out.
It`s ok) i`ll just wait for someone who can do it or maybe i should do it by myself

Hi guys
I can tell you, the depth of the bass is greater on the T60RP than on just about any of my others. Can't comment on the speed of it though, would need to compare head to head for that.

How would you compare to other similar priced planars Hifiman, Monoprice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back