Fostex T60RP
Jun 20, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #1,308 of 1,451
So I tried the Modhouse Xenon Pads for the T60RP - the pads are amazing. They retain the sound of the Defean Pleather Pads I was using till now but surpass it in comfort. Their cavity is much larger than that of the Defean and the microsuede if very plush and doesn't induce sweating. The baffle inserts that come with Xenon though, are total crap. They are not large enough to block the vents rendering the sound shrill and sibilant. At this point, I'm sticking with the Mayflower Electronics baffle inserts.

Jun 23, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #1,309 of 1,451
So was at a store today and demoed 3 Hifiman (Sundara, XS and RE9), Focal Clear (older version) and the T60RP.

The store was using a Naim streaming amp for source.

I wanted the clear but definitely out of my price range (specially I'll only be using it while working from home) and I felt the Fostex is built better and more comfortable (feels like I have very supple pillows on my ears) than the Hifimans. Sound seems on par I think.

In saying that, I'm hoping the community can recommend quality+deeper+supple pads to create more room for my ear.

Thanks

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #1,310 of 1,451
So was at a store today and demoed 3 Hifiman (Sundara, XS and RE9), Focal Clear (older version) and the T60RP.

The store was using a Naim streaming amp for source.

I wanted the clear but definitely out of my price range (specially I'll only be using it while working from home) and I felt the Fostex is built better and more comfortable (feels like I have very supple pillows on my ears) than the Hifimans. Sound seems on par I think.

In saying that, I'm hoping the community can recommend quality+deeper+supple pads to create more room for my ear.

Thanks
ZMF oval suede

Screenshot from 2022-06-23 07-43-05.png

Jun 23, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #1,312 of 1,451
Any reason to select the suede over the offer materials? Thanks
Comfort and a wide open sound. The suede doesn't absorb so much as pass through the energy. It makes for a uniquely wide-open listening experience is a perfect long-lasting comfort.

Jun 26, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #1,318 of 1,451
Lots of modding has been done, history of it in-fact with T50/T60 Fostex series cans/drivers etc... If you read through the thread (or search the net) I'm sure you'll get a few idea's. I love my T60's 'n am enjoying them this evening (will always be one of my fav cans), I've done basic mods to these, pad's 'n my own custom silver cable etc... My take on how I enjoy them currently......

T37M9St.jpg

Also want recommended/inexpensive replacement cables? Thanks again

I don't know about cheap cables I tried a couple but they were faulty/wrong config for these cans..... I have OEM SE and BAL, I prefer my cable no-contest :metal: but my cable my not be " inexpensive " as that's subjective....
Ruaze91.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #1,319 of 1,451
Lots of modding has been done, history of it in-fact with T50/T60 Fostex series cans/drivers etc... If you read through the thread (or search the net) I'm sure you'll get a few idea's. I love my T60's 'n am enjoying them this evening (will always be one of my fav cans), I've done basic mods to these + my own custom pad's 'n silver/rhodium cable etc... My take on how I enjoy them currently......

T37M9St.jpg

I don't know about cheap cables I tried a couple but they were faulty/wrong config for these cans..... I have OEM SE and BAL, I prefer my cable no-contest :metal: but my cable my not be " inexpensive " as that's subjective....
Ruaze91.jpg
link to --your-- cable? thanks

also, what are the "basic mods"? I've back read and it seems there's no one authorative list. thanks!

Jun 26, 2022 at 7:39 AM Post #1,320 of 1,451
Also want recommended/inexpensive replacement cables? Thanks again

link to --your-- cable? thanks

I'm confused, you want a link to the cable I made ? I'm guessing that you mean do I sell them (my cables) and have a link to a point of sale etc? If so I don't sell cables I'm sorry. Am retired old broken fart 'n just make them for myself these days.

images of my DIY progress/make I guess....

n3GllxS.jpg

UzXJhwk.jpg

also, what are the "basic mods"? I've back read and it seems there's no one authorative list. thanks!

I doubt there will ever be a single definitive list of the "perfect" mod/s as we're all different people, taste is subjective. Basic mods (as in easy to do without opening headphones etc & non-permanent ) to mine is just a different baffle (foam) and a spun lace filter (sheer organic material) and pads.

Most start with finding better/different pads with a preference to deeper angled pads as your looking to do.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back