Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Mar 26, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #2,149 of 2,832
I'm curious about one thing, if using custom made cups and earpads, can they be tweaked to have a wide soundstage and 3d feeling and still have the isolating nature of a closed headphone? What are the best mods for this? Bigger cups? Angled drivers?

And one more thing, has anyone used Sugru for the inside dampening? You can mold it in all kinds of shapes and the result will be something flexible like rubber. 

Mar 31, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #2,150 of 2,832
I'm amazed that people are saying the mk3s are great out of the box... they are not. I have the alcantara pads on the way, but every pad I've tried them with has not improved the sound much. They all show massive reductions in sub bass, take a look at the Innerfidelity measurements: http://cdn.innerfidelity.com/images/Fostex_T50RPMk3_Graph_CompareMk3Mk2MrSpeakersAlphaPrime.jpg

I'll post more measurements later, here are 2: 

Stock (8-9 kHz is a measurement artifact):

HM5 hybrids - they are supposedly good just with these?! (8-9 kHz is a measurement artifact): 

Look at those scooped out mids and bass roll off, WOW. I cannot believe some people are just applying pads to the mk3s and calling it a day. Here's my modded mk2s as a comparison:

mk2 Maul Mod - 840 pads (8-9 kHz drop is a measurement artifact):

I always suspected that the mk3s would require more modding because the driver dampening forces you to deal with that hole (http://cdn.innerfidelity.com/images/Fostex_T50RPMk3_photo_CompareDriveronBafflePlateRear.jpg), and the venting system is harder to deal with. 

Based on these measurements, clearly the mk3s are going to require extensive modding to reach what I've achieved with the mk2s. Z Reviews (no offense) is out there saying you can slap some pads on the mk3s and they're good to go. That they are so good out of the box that Mr. Speakers had no need to mod them (complete nonsense obviously, Mr. Speakers has much better things to do these days). I couldn't disagree more, just look above. Just listen for f's sake.

Anyway, I couldn't understand the mk3 craze when it happened, and now I really can't that I've heard and measured them myself. 

Mar 31, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #2,152 of 2,832
I would never have bought mk3's if I didn't intend to mod them. I am mainly buying them for the better headband and the new design touches more than anything.

Right, the new driver dampening was a little worrisome for me though since it's not all even - you'll never be able to cover that hole up entirely/evenly unless you redo all the dampening (like the mk2 already has stock). You're basically stuck with dealing with that hole and whatever it does to the sound. I don't yet know the effects of the new baffle/venting system but it very well could better, it's certainly better for getting pads on. 

But when I was seeing people go crazy over it stock/new pads when it's the same driver with minor dampening changes, and the measurements read as they did... I don't know how you could not mod this, the sub bass alone is ridiculously off.

Mar 31, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #2,153 of 2,832
Yeah, the bass goes down the hill but in exchange you get much better behavior @ 4 KHz, aside from the missing sub-bass, the FR lies within 5 dB which IMO accounts for 'mild' coloration. They really do sound better than the stock mk2. Want your bass extension back? Just put tape over some of the baffle ports (maybe 4) and apply cup damping/adjust the cup vents to reduce the boom.

Mar 31, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #2,154 of 2,832
Yeah, the bass goes down the hill but in exchange you get much better behavior @ 4 KHz, aside from the missing sub-bass, the FR lies within 5 dB which IMO accounts for 'mild' coloration. They really do sound better than the stock mk2. Want your bass extension back? Just put tape over some of the baffle ports (maybe 4) and apply cup damping/adjust the cup vents to reduce the boom.

That was my first thought as well, to cover up the baffle areas. Oh I agree it sounds better than the mk2 stock, but almost anything does, lol. I wouldn't want either of them stock or the mk3 just with added pads as you've seen (HM5 hybrids make it worse). I remember the 840s on the mk2s improved the sound right away with no downside, may not be as easy with the mk3s. Either way I hope to make these better than my mk2s, should be interesting.

Apr 18, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #2,158 of 2,832
  Anyone know where to get replacement screws (the main baffle ones)?

Anyone who's done mods probably has piles sitting around they can give away. Where are you located?

Apr 24, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #2,159 of 2,832
I'm really liking these with the Brainwavz HM5 Velour memory foam pads.

May 9, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #2,160 of 2,832
I've been looking around for some nice headphones that were cheap and sounded good. Was looking at some Audio Technica M50X but then I came across the T50rp and found out that they can be modded to sound like $500 headphones so I found some on Ebay for $70+sh. Listen to them for about a week and loved them now i modded them with the BMF 1.33 version (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgccbW6BXJY used this video) and I love them even more. lol. Just wanted to say thanks to BMF for doing this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back