Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Feb 26, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #2,117 of 2,832
So to those waiting for the files for the baffle lip I'm sorry but it'll be a bit longer. I'm a university student so I've been juggling a ton of other things this week and I'm also trying to figure out how to compensate for the curve in the baffle's face so you can fit the part onto it. 

Feb 28, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #2,120 of 2,832
How are memory foam pads? I was looking at the Bose QC25 ones, working on my fisrt mod of the mk2 and trying to close them a bit. By the way. is there a way to know if some pads are compatible with another headset? Couldn't they make sizes like s, m, l, xl or they're generally all fitting to one another?

As regards the "ballast", has anyone ever tried oenological mastic? :D

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #2,121 of 2,832
How are memory foam pads? I was looking at the Bose QC25 ones, working on my fisrt mod of the mk2 and trying to close them a bit. By the way. is there a way to know if some pads are compatible with another headset? Couldn't they make sizes like s, m, l, xl or they're generally all fitting to one another?

As regards the "ballast", has anyone ever tried oenological mastic? :D

Never seen it in these forums. What is it? You'll be the first to report its effects.

Feb 28, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #2,122 of 2,832
Never seen it in these forums. What is it? You'll be the first to report its effects.

See that little "door"?

It's pretty important it stays perfectly sealed as long as there's wine inside the cask :D That's why the gap it's filled with mastic. It looks like a good material for the use because it's very plastic and kinda heavy at the same time, quite like clay. It doesn't lose the shape you gave it over time and never melts. Being "oenological" means basically that: it cannot leave traces of sort inside the liquid it stays in contact with for months and years but it must also be removed after a certain amount of time so it's not as sticky as clay. It's also cheap like frack.

I'll keep you posted :)

Feb 28, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #2,123 of 2,832
Hmm, google search leads me to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retsina

Mar 3, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #2,124 of 2,832
Few days later.....

I didn't really know what to do except trying the oenological mastic and do one step at a time. So first step has been just add ballast and see if anything changed and oh boy it did change. I've been really impressed by how remarkable was the difference. All that sort of muddyness was gone, sounds were way better separated and detailed but it was very far from being perfect. Especially the voices gained so much presence in the scene that I was a little disappointed since in fact it seemed like all the other mids and especially basses went too much behind.

So I needed some "opening" and all I imagined to do was get rid of that white cover on the back of the speakers (dunno if it's the correct term for planar cans....) and boy I had some opening!

Pics or it didn't happen? Mkay

Again I've been blasted by how huge was the change. Guitars and drums in particular went from "neat" to "OMG" level of awesomeness. The beginning of Free Four in Obscured by Clouds, any song in Dub Side of The Moon or even the infamous Live and Let Die by Guns n Roses were near mistycal experiences. But it was all too loud now as if all the instrumets were racing to get on top of each other and yeah it was all "too wide open".

So I went searching for those insulating foam/poliurethane/sheets or at least something smaller than those matresses they use in constructions (houses, not speakers lol) but couldn't find it around here. I was stepping out the last shop when I stumbled into a big white roll of something which I learned later on being ceramic fiber and oh boy I bought a piece of dat roll ! Not bad for 1€ eh 

I didn't weight it, I didn't print 3d models of the interiors of my cups I didn't meditate 7 days and 7 nights on Mont Zion to reach self ignition temperature. I just cut some feckin pieces of dat roll and stuck em into the ear pads only caring about the casing of the "planar speaker" was well covered and nothing was moving inside there.

And BINGO! Everything went into place, open, clear, neat and amazingly balanced! Ok, maybe the basses are still a bit low but that's a thing about these cans I guess. In any case the difference between the before and the after is truly amazing. Would buy another one to mod it again :D

TL;DR? I got that too!

Mar 3, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #2,126 of 2,832
Make a vent in the material you're using aligned with the cup vent (maybe a paper punch will work). You'll get more bass.

Are you assuming closed vents or open? Will it work either way? At the moment I'm still trying to figure out which way I prefer it. It's quite balanced anyway and I'm not feeling the boost to basses people say closing the vents should do. Prolly the ceramic fiber inside smoothens that effect. 

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #2,127 of 2,832
  Few days later.....

I didn't really know what to do except trying the oenological mastic and do one step at a time. So first step has been just add ballast and see if anything changed and oh boy it did change. I've been really impressed by how remarkable was the difference. All that sort of muddyness was gone, sounds were way better separated and detailed but it was very far from being perfect. Especially the voices gained so much presence in the scene that I was a little disappointed since in fact it seemed like all the other mids and especially basses went too much behind.

So I needed some "opening" and all I imagined to do was get rid of that white cover on the back of the speakers (dunno if it's the correct term for planar cans....) and boy I had some opening!

Pics or it didn't happen? Mkay

Again I've been blasted by how huge was the change. Guitars and drums in particular went from "neat" to "OMG" level of awesomeness. The beginning of Free Four in Obscured by Clouds, any song in Dub Side of The Moon or even the infamous Live and Let Die by Guns n Roses were near mistycal experiences. But it was all too loud now as if all the instrumets were racing to get on top of each other and yeah it was all "too wide open".

it's not clear whether you are modding one of the new mk3 models or an older version

also - your post will have more credibility if you do not put a picture of an evildoer ********* who wrecked our country at the bottom of it

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #2,128 of 2,832

it's not clear whether you are modding one of the new mk3 models or an older version

also - your post will have more credibility if you do not put a picture of an evildoer ********* who wrecked our country at the bottom of it

It's mk2 all the way. Actually it may even be no-mk-at-all. That's probably why it costed 100€ only instead of the 140 for all the others mk2. No clue really. Sure it's no mk3.

As for the evildoer, looks like sometime history makes you repeat the unlearned mistakes. Aaahh Murica! 

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #2,129 of 2,832
  It's mk2 all the way. Actually it may even be no-mk-at-all. That's probably why it costed 100€ only instead of the 140 for all the others mk2. No clue really. Sure it's no mk3.

As for the evildoer, looks like sometime history makes you repeat the unlearned mistakes. Aaahh Murica! 

it would be cool if someone could specify which of these mods are applicable to, or recommended for, the mk3 - which has some mods already done by the factory, which we probably don't want to undo.

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #2,130 of 2,832

SHOTS FIRED!!! 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back