Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Oct 8, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #1,231 of 2,832
I'm currently testing some HM5 velour pads that arrived today on my modded pair of Fostex, the comfort, evene against the already very comfy dog pads is incredible. They are a little tricky to put on, maybe a bit small for the T50RP and definetly not a pad to be swapping often. Soundwise so far it seems like it's a bit brighter than the dogpads, with less bass impact and sub bass and a little more soundstage, highs and sense of air. The price on this pair of pads is amazing so I suggest everyone to give them a try.

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #1,232 of 2,832
  I'm currently testing some HM5 velour pads that arrived today on my modded pair of Fostex, the comfort, evene against the already very comfy dog pads is incredible. They are a little tricky to put on, maybe a bit small for the T50RP and definetly not a pad to be swapping often. Soundwise so far it seems like it's a bit brighter than the dogpads, with less bass impact and sub bass and a little more soundstage, highs and sense of air. The price on this pair of pads is amazing so I suggest everyone to give them a try.

Very true, that's why I decided to make another pair. I think you're spot on with your impression on the sound from them. Sounds more like a open headphone which suits my preference perfect :)

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #1,233 of 2,832
  Hi peter ! 

It's nice to hear !
I'll suggest the 22mm furniture felt thing to the buyer of my T50RP ! 
smily_headphones1.gif

And yeah, Alpha Pads are sooo comfy 
o2smile.gif

Indeed 
beerchug.gif

Sounds good mentioning it to your buyer. It's also perfectly safe and fully revirseble so no harm in trying 
beerchug.gif

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #1,234 of 2,832

New HM5 memory foam pads also great....raise up just enough to keep the ear away from the planar. I just glued them on to the can. Way easier.They are about 95% there with diameter matching.

Oct 9, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #1,235 of 2,832
Still need to further work on internal modding, but outside looks awesome thanks to Casper!!

Oct 9, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #1,237 of 2,832
Now I have the task of making them sound as good as they look. Going to listen to stock a while again since Its been a bit since I heard them. Really shooting for lush mids/vocals, treble detail but slightly rolled off, and least important to me will be bass quantity. I want quality but I really want an easy going warm sound while retaining detail and seperation

Oct 10, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #1,238 of 2,832
Now I have the task of making them sound as good as they look. Going to listen to stock a while again since Its been a bit since I heard them. Really shooting for lush mids/vocals, treble detail but slightly rolled off, and least important to me will be bass quantity. I want quality but I really want an easy going warm sound while retaining detail and seperation

That's exactly the sound signature I was looking for on my pair with Alpha pads. The whole mod took me less than an hour and everything except maybe the clay (I'm pretty sure you will want the clay no matter what configuration you chose in the end so that should not be a problem) is fully reversible so I'd suggest you give it a try.

Edit: if nothing else it should be a good starting point :wink:

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #1,239 of 2,832
That's exactly the sound signature I was looking for on my pair with Alpha pads. The whole mod took me less than an hour and everything except maybe the clay (I'm pretty sure you will want the clay no matter what configuration you chose in the end so that should not be a problem) is fully reversible so I'd suggest you give it a try.

Edit: if nothing else it should be a good starting point :wink:

There's already clay in the baffles, did that a while ago before I decided to send them out for paint. I'm nor takin that stuff out now, it'd take forever! Haha, ya, I think ill try what I had in my head first, then ill look at what you and one or two others did. I may end up buying another set so I could mod both different at the same time and better compare sound. It would make it much easier for me, as I tend to forget the exact way something sounded before tinkering! Beer while tinkering with hps tends not to help that either...

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #1,240 of 2,832
There's already clay in the baffles, did that a while ago before I decided to send them out for paint. I'm nor takin that stuff out now, it'd take forever! Haha, ya, I think ill try what I had in my head first, then ill look at what you and one or two others did. I may end up buying another set so I could mod both different at the same time and better compare sound. It would make it much easier for me, as I tend to forget the exact way something sounded before tinkering! Beer while tinkering with hps tends not to help that either...

We'll at least the most boring part is done (filling it with clay). The rest is fun an tuning it to your own liking nay very well never end :wink: I don't know how many times I've opened my original pair but it's many.

As you can guess I've got full understanding for getting more than one pair. Good luck and keep us posted if/when you hit your sweet spot.

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #1,241 of 2,832
Anyone have extra screws for the cups, somehow I lost one yesterday...

Oct 10, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #1,245 of 2,832
Hi BMF/Justin! :)

Hope you're doing fine!

I'm still using the BMFv3 and I wonder what your favourite mod might be?
Do you consider the Balsa Wood Mod to be an upgrade? If so I definitely have to get some balsa wood first thing tomorrow morning. :)

Keep up the great work!

Best,
Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back