Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Apr 29, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #1,007 of 2,845
  Wow, I guess it's been a little while since I've checked this out.  That first post is the most thorough, amazing thing I think I've seen here on head-fi.

KOT,

You're kind to say so, and I appreciate it. I hope you find something useful to try.

Best,

BMF

Apr 30, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #1,008 of 2,845
Searched "open back and open housing" and did not find any, thought I had seen some somewhere?
Anyone?

one of my many theory's is that the main problem with T-50's are the housing, not the driver.
(cheap plastic and sound reproduction do not go together).
Yes Fostex did a good job making affordable and hard to destroy Studio Headphones.

I like Stax, which are  open. so are the original T50 and the new TH500RP.

had some time today. drew up some housings and cut them out of MDF on my CNC.
They are 98mm OD with a 105mm lip that fits the shure840 pads or HiFiMan pads.

I left the stiff felt and treble reflector taped to the back of driver.

sound much better so far to me.............

need to source a permanent headband assembly and some mesh for the back.

BMF do you want to play with some housings or have ideas?

Apr 30, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #1,009 of 2,845
  Searched "open back and open housing" and did not find any, thought I had seen some somewhere?
Anyone?

one of my many theory's is that the main problem with T-50's are the housing, not the driver.
(cheap plastic and sound reproduction do not go together).
Yes Fostex did a good job making affordable and hard to destroy Studio Headphones.

I like Stax, which are  open. so are the original T50 and the new TH500RP.

had some time today. drew up some housings and cut them out of MDF on my CNC.
They are 98mm OD with a 105mm lip that fits the shure840 pads or HiFiMan pads.

I left the stiff felt and treble reflector taped to the back of driver.

sound much better so far to me.............

need to source a permanent headband assembly and some mesh for the back.

BMF do you want to play with some housings or have ideas?

Congo5,

You know I DO!  LOL

Simple answer: yes.

Apr 30, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #1,010 of 2,845
Congo5 and BMF, please please start a new thread for these forays. The first post in this thread is a browser buster. :D

Oh, and Congo5, this is terrific new direction. I'm looking forward to your collective achievements. Onward!

Apr 30, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #1,011 of 2,845
Congo5 and BMF, please please start a new thread for these forays. The first post in this thread is a browser buster.
biggrin.gif

LOL, micmacmo!

I will defer to Congo5 RE: A New Thread.

Peace, my brother.

~ BMF

P.S. Have you visited Post 1, lately? I've added a Table of Contents for friendlier browsing.

May 7, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #1,012 of 2,845
Here are my T50rp cups, I'm just waiting for my Mini XLR chassis mount connectors to arrive and for the clear coat to full harden. I'm going to be using the carbon fiber vinyl wrap up the center of the cups where the vents used to be before I bondo'd them off. I realized after I already started painting that the color is pretty close to the Alpha Dog color, oh well. I still like it. I used automotive primer, paint, and clear coat.

May 8, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #1,013 of 2,845
If there's a better place to post pics of T50RP mods, please let me know. I'm not going to be doing sound graphs or anything like that. Every time I search T50RP stuff I get a bunch of old classifieds, and then this thread. 

This edited photo better represents what the color of these are in person.

May 9, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #1,016 of 2,845
  If there's a better place to post pics of T50RP mods, please let me know. I'm not going to be doing sound graphs or anything like that. Every time I search T50RP stuff I get a bunch of old classifieds, and then this thread. 

This edited photo better represents what the color of these are in person.

Those look great!

May 13, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #1,019 of 2,845
I want to call this my DE4D mod, because the drivers look like cartoon dead eyes Haha
I'm personally going to keep the very small piece of memory foam on and not the thicker piece, because I like a flavored sound. 

Having it with this configuration will make these things awesome for dubstep and EDM without being too bass heavy. The Treble is bright and the mids are only slightly recessed.

Stacked in this order:

memory foam (you choose how much)
thin plastic X that sits on the corner screws of the driver and isn't actually sitting ON the driver, just hovering over it.
white tac holding it on and surrounding the driver
driver

The cups are dampened with Dynamat Extreme, vents are totally sealed off with Bondo, and I'm using Shure 840 pads.
Terminated to dual SMC connectors for use with Hifiman cables.

If you keep this big chunk of memory foam on them, they get more neutral sounding. I don't have a way to measure the sound though, so that's just by ear. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back