Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Oct 19, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #136 of 2,832
Got them put back together with some Family Dollar cotton, sounds better than before.  Bass is definitely tighter and the mids don't hide from me so much :)

Now I just need a better source!

Oct 19, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #137 of 2,832
Quote:
Got them put back together with some Family Dollar cotton, sounds better than before.  Bass is definitely tighter and the mids don't hide from me so much :)

Now I just need a better source!

Congrats!  Good to hear you're making progress.  

Did you try Acoustipack Lite/Paxmate Plus, fiberglass with/without cotton, and stiff felt over magazine paper treble reflector?

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #139 of 2,832
hallelujah
atsmile.gif

Incredible effort BMF! thanks!

Gonna start on my new pair this week.

sorry to hear about the "horror" scenario with your Rite Aid cotton fiasco!
biggrin.gif

I nearly blew milk out my nose when I read that.......

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #140 of 2,832
Quote:

Congrats!  Good to hear you're making progress.  

Did you try Acoustipack Lite/Paxmate Plus, fiberglass with/without cotton, and stiff felt over magazine paper treble reflector?

No fiberglass yet, I enjoy how it sounds with the cotton right now so I might just stick with it.

Stiff felt with transpore square on the back of the driver, 2 densities of Silverstone acoustic foam in the cups with lazy man's "pyramids" in the wells, none in the middle raised up part.  Plasticine filled and dynamat extreme on the outside around the driver.  Electrical tape over 3/4 of the bass vent, stock bass port hole, none extra drilled.

I think I might drill out the other holes since it's easy to refill, but the bass as it stands seems pretty representative of the music.  ie: songs with lots of bass get it delivered and songs with less bass emphasis don't get muddy or too much.

Oct 21, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #142 of 2,832
For some reason I was half expecting to see a T50rp (or T40rp perhaps) cup being used as a soupbowl... 

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #143 of 2,832
hallelujah :atsmile:

Incredible effort BMF! thanks!

Gonna start on my new pair this week.

sorry to hear about the "horror" scenario with your Rite Aid cotton fiasco! :D

I nearly blew milk out my nose when I read that.......

Let us know what you think. You might try a 20 mm paper disk in place of the 20x20 mm paper square under stiff felt.

Best wishes.

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #144 of 2,832
Thanks for your interest, hans.

Sorry, but I sent those headphones on to some friends out of state and out of the country. I made measurements of them but had the MacBook Pro "Pinwheel of Death." I had forgotten to save the files. When I "hard re-booted," I lost the REW data files.  I will have to build another one and make new measurements...on my "To Do List."

The magazine paper with stiff felt overlay is Added to DBV #2 which Includes Acoustipack Lite, Paxmate Plus "Ladder Rungs," fiberglass, and Rite Aid Natural Absorbent Cotton overlay in the cups, Newplast in the baffles and Shure 840 pads. All is described in the first post of this thread After Graph #55.

Thanks, BMF. Do you find just the felt and magazine paper to be better than what you were doing before with transpore and felt? Definitely seems simpler/easier in some ways, and more likely to hold up over time.

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #145 of 2,832
Quote:
Thanks, BMF. Do you find just the felt and magazine paper to be better than what you were doing before with transpore and felt? Definitely seems simpler/easier in some ways, and more likely to hold up over time.

Definitely. But...that's not the end of the mod. You need to add:

Rockwool or
Cotton or
Fiberglass or
some combination of these to smooth out the FR and find what sounds best to you.

That said, Transpore is Not dead. Place it Under stiff craft felt and compare to paper Under the stiff felt.

There are many variations on a theme that will work and sound great. It's flexible. You just have to try various combinations to settle on "Your Configuration."

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #147 of 2,832
That's pretty lame.  One thing to take advantage of your work but another to sell them without having HIS version measured.

I'm sure if we all did the "same" set of mods each of ours would measure differently, at least to some degree.

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #148 of 2,832
Definitely. But...that's not the end of the mod. You need to add:

Rockwool or
Cotton or
Fiberglass or
some combination of these to smooth out the FR and find what sounds best to you.

That said, Transpore is Not dead. Place it Under stiff craft felt and compare to paper Under the stiff felt.

There are many variations on a theme that will work and sound great. It's flexible. You just have to try various combinations to settle on "Your Configuration."

Yes, of course I know there's more to the mod than that. I just didn't have any questions about that particular part. :wink:

Which variation in particular sounded best to your ears? Did either seem to have particularly better measurements than the other? I can't tell if the "definitely" was towards it being easier/more permanent, sounding better or both. Just asking for an opinion here. I always tune things to my personal preferences when the time comes. :)

Oct 24, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #149 of 2,832
Quote:
Yes, of course I know there's more to the mod than that. I just didn't have any questions about that particular part.
wink.gif

Which variation in particular sounded best to your ears? Did either seem to have particularly better measurements than the other? I can't tell if the "definitely" was towards it being easier/more permanent, sounding better or both. Just asking for an opinion here. I always tune things to my personal preferences when the time comes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry, I did not intend to imply "you" personally. I used "you" collectively as in "anyone."

DBV #2 and DBV #3 with paper or Transpore treble reflectors Under the stiff felt sound the best to me. Like you, I further tune my personal sets to suit my ears and preference (for even more treble without sibilance or fatigue in my case), and without altering the midrange or causing bass roll off. I can get very similar results with fiberglass and rock wool as I do with cotton. Each set sounds a little different, like different flavors, but are more alike than different.

Oct 24, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #150 of 2,832
Just received my T50rp's yesterday, they sound pretty good and I've begun collecting materials for modding.  The one thing I have been unable to find is the paxmate or acoustipack damping material without having to order it from the internet.  I was happy to find the Silverstone Acoustic Foam listed on Fry's website for only $12.95 and don't have to worry about shipping with having a Fry's local to where I live.  So if you have a Fry's and a Michaels in your area you're good to go.

EDIT:  Silverstone at Fry's is available only by special order, it cannot be picked up in store!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back