Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Jun 13, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #1,187 of 2,017
  I think that the quickest way to test whether an earpad is changing the sound is to press the headphones in to compress the memory foam and see if the sound changes.

Tried this as well, the small amount of soundstage that the pads add disappears other than that everything is just a tad louder because of the distance from the driver. No noticable changes in treble from what I can tell. I also tried one ear with the ZMF pad and one without any pad at all, the treble was sharper on the side(more siblant) on the side without the pads, this is probably just because of how close my ear was to the driver(higher volume). I haven't tested anything else on my MK3s so I'm not sure how they compare to HM5s or 1540 pads, however I wouldn't describe the sound as muddy or muffled compared to stock. I might actually try to order a pair of HM5s or 1540s just to see how big the difference is.

Jun 13, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #1,188 of 2,017
I have tried the hm5 (velour and regular), the alpha dogs, and the 840 pads.  The 840 is by far the best match for me I thought I would likely cut out the foam backing but maybe not.  These are great value and come close to the mighty he400 for dat planar bass.  I have the rp20s with electric tape covering the rear vents.  Would dynamating the cups be the next step?

Jun 14, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #1,189 of 2,017
My mission is to keep tinkering until i can make the hm5 hybrids work. I feel like im getting closer. I will share my findings periodically if anyone is interested.

Most recent thing I've tried to tame the hot treble, involved sacrificing a pair of pads from a set of monoprice 8323. Luckily replacements are only 5 bucks. Anyway the first thing i noticed about the hm5 hybrid pads compared to stock was the super thin covering over the driver. The stock pads material seems to be a good bit thicker which i thought might have something to do with the ear piercing sound with the hm5. The 8323 pads have what i would describe as 3 layers of material vs what the hm5 having only one I cut out all of that material from the 8323 pads and as an experiment placed it over the driver. It definitely seems to help, but i wont swear to it until Ive spent more time with it.

I'm using 1540 pads and tried to take the treble and sibilance too. Either I found a possible way or my ears got used to the treble. I added a few plies of tissue behind the pads and added a strip of sticky felt in front of the drivers covering a line/3 holes based on MrSpeakers Doggy treats.

Also to those mentioning that 1540s sound muffled, I think that's just a quality of closed headphones. Adding dampening material and/or cotton may help with the "muffledness". I did but I can't say for sure it helped unless I could ABX a stock pair.

Jun 14, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #1,190 of 2,017
I have tried the hm5 (velour and regular), the alpha dogs, and the 840 pads.  The 840 is by far the best match for me I thought I would likely cut out the foam backing but maybe not.  These are great value and come close to the mighty he400 for dat planar bass.  I have the rp20s with electric tape covering the rear vents.  Would dynamating the cups be the next step?

How were they when using the 840 pads?

Jun 14, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #1,195 of 2,017

Tried this as well, the small amount of soundstage that the pads add disappears other than that everything is just a tad louder because of the distance from the driver. No noticable changes in treble from what I can tell. I also tried one ear with the ZMF pad and one without any pad at all, the treble was sharper on the side(more siblant) on the side without the pads, this is probably just because of how close my ear was to the driver(higher volume). I haven't tested anything else on my MK3s so I'm not sure how they compare to HM5s or 1540 pads, however I wouldn't describe the sound as muddy or muffled compared to stock. I might actually try to order a pair of HM5s or 1540s just to see how big the difference is.

I just put the HM5 angled pads back on and I think that muddy is the wrong word. I think that there is less instrument separation, the bass is a tad less tight and the treble is not sibilant but perhaps slightly more fatiguing. I am going to use the HM5 pads for a bit longer while I wait for my 840 pads.

The 840 pads are as thin as stock yet the ear opening is much larger.  They are as close to stock sounding as any other.  I may punch some holes in the foam backing to free the treble.

Just ordered the 840 pads, hopefully they are more comfy than stock.

Jun 14, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #1,199 of 2,017

I just put the HM5 angled pads back on and I think that muddy is the wrong word. I think that there is less instrument separation, the bass is a tad less tight and the treble is not sibilant but perhaps slightly more fatiguing. I am going to use the HM5 pads for a bit longer while I wait for my 840 pads.

Just ordered the 840 pads, hopefully they are more comfy than stock.

They are much more comfortable as they stretch out making a place for your ear.  The stock are essentially on ear.

Jun 15, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #1,200 of 2,017

Users who are viewing this thread

Back