Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Jun 10, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #1,171 of 2,017
  Dude why don't you try the 1540 pads? They squish easily.

Don't know about him, but I have the Shure 1540 pads, and they sit in my headphone case because I didn't like what they did to the sound.  Made it more distant.  Very comfortable, but sound is much more important to me than comfort, and the stock pads aren't terrible to me, just not *as* comfortable as those wonderful 1540 pads and can hurt after an hour or so.

Jun 10, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #1,172 of 2,017
  Dude why don't you try the 1540 pads? They squish easily.

Don't know about him, but I have the Shure 1540 pads, and they sit in my headphone case because I didn't like what they did to the sound.  Made it more distant.  Very comfortable, but sound is much more important to me than comfort, and the stock pads aren't terrible to me, just not *as* comfortable as those wonderful 1540 pads and can hurt after an hour or so.

The video said that there was no real difference in sound between the 1540 pads and the brainwavz angled pads which I believe because they are about the same thickness, the angled pads just have an angle to them so the sound is directed differently. I don't think it is worth $40 to make these headphones sound worse.

Jun 10, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #1,173 of 2,017
My mission is to keep tinkering until i can make the hm5 hybrids work. I feel like im getting closer. I will share my findings periodically if anyone is interested.

Most recent thing I've tried to tame the hot treble, involved sacrificing a pair of pads from a set of monoprice 8323. Luckily replacements are only 5 bucks. Anyway the first thing i noticed about the hm5 hybrid pads compared to stock was the super thin covering over the driver. The stock pads material seems to be a good bit thicker which i thought might have something to do with the ear piercing sound with the hm5. The 8323 pads have what i would describe as 3 layers of material vs what the hm5 having only one I cut out all of that material from the 8323 pads and as an experiment placed it over the driver. It definitely seems to help, but i wont swear to it until Ive spent more time with it.

Jun 10, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #1,174 of 2,017
Everything WAS going well. I recently picked up a magni 2, leaps and bounds better with these than my fiio e12.

However, in the last 2 weeks I noticed my left side driver is buzzing. Specifically around 150hz (a test tone brings it out at high volumes).

I have blown out the headphones with compressed air. Still there. Removed all the mods (clay and polyfill). Still there. Different cable, still there!

So I am outside of my window for an amazon return (and the fact they're modded). What are my options here? It's making it difficult to listen to these cans. If you push the waveguide a little bit, or your ear presses into the driver, it goes away entirely. What could be causing this?

Have you tried isolating the wires to make sure they arent vibrating? I had that happen after one of the modifications i attempted.

Jun 11, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #1,175 of 2,017
Well I decided to cut the inside felt of the 1540 pads and yes they do open up the sound a bit more back to stock, but the bass is still way too boomy making it feel unbalanced to my ears.

Pretty much wasted my money on the 1540 pads. Comfortability over sound can only go so far. Back to stock pads i go.

Jun 11, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #1,177 of 2,017
I got my Shure 1540 pads today and I was disappointed. They change the sound too much, in a bad way. They sound muffled.
Maybe they can be improved with mods, but so far I couldn't find anything that brings back the sound quality of the stock pads.

Jun 11, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #1,178 of 2,017
I got my Shure 1540 pads today and I was disappointed. They change the sound too much, in a bad way. They sound muffled.

Maybe they can be improved with mods, but so far I couldn't find anything that brings back the sound quality of the stock pads.

Exactly why I am staying with the stock pads, which at least to me, aren't bad at all for non-long listening sessions.

Jun 11, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #1,179 of 2,017
Have any of you tried out ZMF pads? I ordered ZMF lambskins because 1540s weren't easily available in Europe at the time and they sound pretty great if you ask me. The lambskins give a slight mid-bass boost, the rest of the sound remains pretty much the same to my ears. They do not sound muffled(like some of you describe the 1540s) at all to me, only slightly behind my HD600s when it comes to clarity and detail. At $50 they are pricey, but they are really comfortable and seem to be very high quality.

Jun 12, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #1,181 of 2,017
I haven't experienced anything like that with mine, I tried switching back to stock just to check and the bass is the only immediate change I'm noticing. Mine are modded though so mine might sound a bit different. However I feel like the treble on the T50RPs is pretty peaky out of the box. Sometimes that results in a slightly artifical sounding treble, a tad too sharp for my liking at times. That is the only complaint I have about the sound really.
If the description of the ZMF Cowhide pads is to be believed it should actually smooth out the treble; 
 Cowhide:  Driver sits furthest from the ear, has thickest material.  Darker tone, flattens treble peaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back