Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
May 23, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #1,112 of 2,017

B&H just raised ALL Fostex RPmk3 to $159 (minus $50  mail in rebate).
Glad I bought when they were only $115

Bummer... I've been on their notification list for the T20RP MK3 when they get them back in stock... expected to get them for $115 before rebate. :frowning2:

May 23, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #1,113 of 2,017

The Blackwood has it (http://www.zmfheadphones.com/order-the-zmf/zmf-blackwood-1). It's a cool idea, but like I say I'm just more preferable to having *real* open and a second pair of *real* closed. I don't mind saving up the difference to have a solid two pairs that accomplish both. I've getting horribly sick lately with G.A.S.

Well with the rebates getting these down in $65 range at several sites the T20RP open & T40RP closed pair should be easy to come by.

I'm still thinking, like many reviews say, the T50RP is the flat clear sweet spot in-between.....maybe you need all three :)

May 23, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #1,114 of 2,017

B&H just raised ALL Fostex RPmk3 to $159 (minus $50  mail in rebate).
Glad I bought when they were only $115

MusiciansFriend still has the T40RP mk3 for $115

May 23, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #1,117 of 2,017
I just got my T40RPmk3. I immediately put on a leather strap I got from MrSpeakers which made it alot more comfortable. I paid $115 from B&H plus the rebate which brings it down to $65. They're a steal for that price.

These sound a lot better than I was expecting stock. I plan on mass loading them with plasteline and I have Shure 840 pads on the way then going from there.

I don't have too much to compare it to but it is comparable to HD650 but the treble is more forward than the laid back signature of the HD650. They surprisingly need more volume to drive them to the same level.

May 23, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #1,118 of 2,017

Well with the rebates getting these down in $65 range at several sites the T20RP open & T40RP closed pair should be easy to come by.

I'm still thinking, like many reviews say, the T50RP is the flat clear sweet spot in-between.....maybe you need all three :)

i feel the sound is not weighty and not flat sounding, more described as weak, in the membrane, tad lean

and there is a lot of spikes in the sound

more the construction that makes it flat sounding

not a bad headphone, in all perspectives, still not something you would rock to, its a bit to fragile in the sound

also missing some midrange details

May 24, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #1,120 of 2,017
I need a portable dac/amp solution for my fostex t40rp mk3 and my fostex th x00 PH which will be arriving in a couple months. The mk3s are power hungry so I was originally thinking that the cayin c5 with the dragonfly red would be the best option but now I am also looking at the arrow 6tx but I am skeptical whether it will have enough power. If you have any experience or suggestions please comment! My budget is $350 and the source will be macbooks and iphones specifically the air and the 6s.

May 24, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #1,124 of 2,017
Can anyone tell me their opinions on the Shure 1540 pads? The stock sound to me is incredible bar maybe wanting a bit more bass. The stock pads however are horrible. 

May 24, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #1,125 of 2,017
  i feel the sound is not weighty and not flat sounding, more described as weak, in the membrane, tad lean

and there is a lot of spikes in the sound

more the construction that makes it flat sounding

not a bad headphone, in all perspectives, still not something you would rock to, its a bit to fragile in the sound

also missing some midrange details

I agree with this. I'm thinking if I should figure out my own felt to bring the signature to mk2s and then do the mods to bring it to mk2 mods performance. I do prefer the 4k lift of the mk3s but I'm afraid it's not worth it when the vocals sound often so recessed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back