Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
May 21, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #1,096 of 2,017

With stock MK3s there's a roll off in the lower bass frequencies, so really they're misrepresenting your music just as much as a slight boost in the lower bass would, they're just misrepresenting it in a different way, which you might prefer. There are headphones out there that offer more extension in the lower bass without necessarily being bass heavy headphones, but really it's personal preference

AKG was my first taste of good audio, so I'm quite used to lower bass response; on the same token, the MK3 has marginally better bass than my AKGs, granted I've never tried the more high end models, but it's still good enough for my taste. If there was an easy MK3 mod that let me bring up the bass just a pinch without sacrificing that clarity I'd do it in a heart beat.

But yeah, I realize of course it's personal taste. That's the beauty of having so many headphone options available. :)

May 21, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #1,097 of 2,017
Howdy all! I picked up a set of the t40rp mk3 from guitar center today. They price matched the B&H price. For 65 bucks i couldnt resist.

So my main headphone since i got into this hobby has been the Sennheiser HD 598. I wanted the T40RP since it would be presumably be a much different sound signature to the 598.

So far i have to say im loving these things. They pair perfectly with my little dot 1+. Still in the honeymoon phase obviously so i do t want to say too much about them until ive listened more than the 2 hours I have spent with them so far. I will say they are a bit too bass heavy for me but ive done some experimenting with extending the pads to get the driver a bit further away from my ear and that helps immensely. I think a new set of pads will get these things pretty close to being keepers.

May 22, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #1,101 of 2,017
  ...the T50RP MK3 in company of some good friends:

...some more pics of that photo-session here...

I'm in the process of having 2 custom headphone stands made, each of which will hold 6 pair.....they'd be a darn good idea here! LOL

May 22, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #1,102 of 2,017
Damn is it really a 1-3 month wait to get the 1540 pads?
Do they do anything to the stock sound with the stock pads?

The Stock sound is incredible (bar a little more bass impact) but yes they are very uncomfortable after a period of time.

May 22, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #1,103 of 2,017
Howdy all! I picked up a set of the t40rp mk3 from guitar center today. They price matched the B&H price. For 65 bucks i couldnt resist.

So my main headphone since i got into this hobby has been the Sennheiser HD 598. I wanted the T40RP since it would be presumably be a much different sound signature to the 598.

So far i have to say im loving these things. They pair perfectly with my little dot 1+. Still in the honeymoon phase obviously so i do t want to say too much about them until ive listened more than the 2 hours I have spent with them so far. I will say they are a bit too bass heavy for me but ive done some experimenting with extending the pads to get the driver a bit further away from my ear and that helps immensely. I think a new set of pads will get these things pretty close to being keepers.

Hard to believe discounts on such great sounding HPs.....

Hope Fostex doesn't get picky on handing out the rebates, not sure what is considered "discounted" price on their rebate form.  Has anyone received their rebate?

Whey did you pick the T40P mk3 (closed) model?  Did you demo all three?  Maybe the next generation will have an adjustable port like the beyerdynamic model so one can turn a knob or slide a lever to adjust open/closed port.

May 22, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #1,104 of 2,017
Hard to believe discounts on such great sounding HPs.....

Hope Fostex doesn't get picky on handing out the rebates, not sure what is considered "discounted" price on their rebate form.  Has anyone received their rebate?

Whey did you pick the T40P mk3 (closed) model?  Did you demo all three?  Maybe the next generation will have an adjustable port like the beyerdynamic model so one can turn a knob or slide a lever to adjust open/closed port.

I decided to pick up the t40 instead of the 50 for two reasons.

First, the price. 65 bucks couldnt be ignored. I have emailed american music and sound to make sure the rebate will still apply even though they were discounted. If not, they will go back to gc.

Second, i wanted a closed back headphone to complement my hd598. Im definitely not a basshead but wanted to have a set of phones i could swap out when i need a bit more oomph. Stock i think they have a tad too much oomph but extending the pad by about a 1/4" made them much more even.

Btw...i have heard a lot of complaints regarding comfort with these. The hd598 is generally considered one of the most comfortable headphones on the market and i agree. Using that as my baseline i had zero hope for the fostex to approach the same level of comfort. I was pleasantly surprised that the fostex are really not bad at all other than the pads making my ears sweat. I plan to rectify that with some velour pads.

May 22, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #1,106 of 2,017
  Funny, I made a variable port so I can change the sound according to the track or my mood.

That's one of the things ZMF does too, isn't it? On one model at least, there's three little holes you can plug depending on how you like your audio.

Maybe it's all in my head, but I've owned the Custom One Pro, and while it's a fine headphone, the adjustable slider for opening the cups still doesn't match regular closed or open cans. Again, that might all be in my head. I don't have them anymore so I can't go back and keep listening to double check.

May 22, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #1,108 of 2,017

That's one of the things ZMF does too, isn't it? On one model at least, there's three little holes you can plug depending on how you like your audio.

Maybe it's all in my head, but I've owned the Custom One Pro, and while it's a fine headphone, the adjustable slider for opening the cups still doesn't match regular closed or open cans. Again, that might all be in my head. I don't have them anymore so I can't go back and keep listening to double check.

I didn't know that ZMF has done it. I did it rather widely. Just remove the internal felt and put a tape with cotton on the external port. So I can tune the port with the tension of the tape.

May 22, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #1,109 of 2,017

I didn't know that ZMF has done it. I did it rather widely. Just remove the internal felt and put a tape with cotton on the external port. So I can tune the port with the tension of the tape.

The Blackwood has it (http://www.zmfheadphones.com/order-the-zmf/zmf-blackwood-1). It's a cool idea, but like I say I'm just more preferable to having *real* open and a second pair of *real* closed. I don't mind saving up the difference to have a solid two pairs that accomplish both. I've getting horribly sick lately with G.A.S.

May 23, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #1,110 of 2,017
Fyi I emailed American Music and Sound regarding the rebate on discounted units. They said my pair purchased at guitar center that i got price matched from B&H were eligible for the rebate so the $ 65 price tag is legit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back