Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
May 24, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #1,126 of 2,017

I just ordered the brainwavz pleather angled memory foam pads for my t40rp mk3 does anybody know what these will do to the sound signature? I like the overall sound but I would welcome more bass extension and clarity. What pads are most people using other than the shore alcantara which are backordered everywhere?

May 24, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #1,127 of 2,017

I just ordered the brainwavz pleather angled memory foam pads for my t40rp mk3 does anybody know what these will do to the sound signature? I like the overall sound but I would welcome more bass extension and clarity. What pads are most people using other than the shore alcantara which are backordered everywhere?

Angled pads are not recommended. Distance from ear to driver should be as even and close as possible.

PS: Many are using the hybrid pleather and velour memory foam pads (not angled) from brainwavz. Or the all velour memory foam ones (not angled).

May 24, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #1,128 of 2,017

In my experience with modded MK2's I'd rank the HM5 pads (with velour) on bass impact from most to least like this: hybrids > angled > regular. Air in the presentation would be in the reversed order. I'd expect the same to go for the MK3 's.

May 24, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #1,129 of 2,017

Angled pads are not recommended. Distance from ear to driver should be as even and close as possible.

PS: Many are using the hybrid pleather and velour memory foam pads (not angled) from brainwavz. Or the all velour memory foam ones (not angled).

I'm using angled pads on mine, and they sound good. I like more "air" than your average guy, I guess, but they don't sound bad by any means; I actually like how they've moved the sound forward a little. :)

May 25, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #1,130 of 2,017

In my experience with modded MK2's I'd rank the HM5 pads (with velour) on bass impact from most to least like this: hybrids > angled > regular. Air in the presentation would be in the reversed order. I'd expect the same to go for the MK3 's.

I'm using angled pads on mine, and they sound good. I like more "air" than your average guy, I guess, but they don't sound bad by any means; I actually like how they've moved the sound forward a little. :)

Sounds like I will be trying the hybrid pads if the angled pads sound worse than stock.

May 25, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #1,131 of 2,017

I use brainwavz hybrid pad and just compared with stock pads. Sound wise, stock pads better slightly but noticeable (slightly better clarity and soundstage). My hybrid pads are new so it might need to be break in so it goes flatter and closer to the driver.... 

May 25, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #1,132 of 2,017
  Can anyone tell me their opinions on the Shure 1540 pads? The stock sound to me is incredible bar maybe wanting a bit more bass. The stock pads however are horrible. 

anyone?

May 25, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #1,134 of 2,017
Out of curiosity has anyone tried this?

https://youtu.be/_ylUF5cVAc8

Obviously very primitive but a very easy way to see what the sound might be like with different pads. I tried this with my t40rp mk3 and i feel it tamed the bass and increased the comfort of the stock ear pads significantly.

I think from what i have read the hm5 hybrid pads might meet my needs to replace the stock/cardboard solution. Definitely curious what other folks have tried with the t40rp

May 26, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #1,135 of 2,017
  Can anyone tell me their opinions on the Shure 1540 pads? The stock sound to me is incredible bar maybe wanting a bit more bass. The stock pads however are horrible. 

Gonna answer my own question here.

I Was able to get a hold of 1540 pads locally (from Australia) and was very excited to put them on as i found the comfortability on the stock pads as severely lacking.

Now i absolutely love the stock sound. Fast planar sound, fast bass (abiet me wanting just a touch more) and fairly balanced to my ears.

Unfortunately for me the 1540 pads changed the sound signature too much for me. It made it sound a bit too dark and the bass became a touch too more for my ears and ever so slightly looser. Treble also seemed a bit more grainier. Generally speaking everything seemed a lot more closed in/muffled to my ears.
There is no doubting the comfortability of the Alcantera, they are ear pillows but for me i don't think the trade off is worth it. I missed/craved the stock sound that much. I missed the imaging and the much tighter sound (being my first planar).

I went back to the stock pads and put some toilet paper under the pads to try and get a bit more comfort (as they raise the pads up a bit more). Still nowhere near the comfort of the 1540s though.

Anyways that's just my opinion and i know a lot of people here are waiting for their pads but i thought i would share. Of course YMMV.

I noticed in one of the comments on Z's T50rp mk3 video that they felt the same that i did and what they did was cut open the felt insides of the 1540 pads to expose the driver. They found that this managed to get the stock sound back.
Here is his photo 

However i am definitely apprahensive doing this as these pads were not freaking cheap. 

May 26, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #1,136 of 2,017

Was able to get a hold of 1540 pads locally (from Australia) and was very excited to put them on as i found the comfortability on the stock pads as severely lacking.

Now i absolutely love the stock sound. Fast planar sound, fast bass (abiet me wanting just a touch more) and fairly balanced to my ears.

Unfortunately for me the 1540 pads changed to sound signature to much for me. It made it sound a bit too dark for me. Now The bass became a touch too more for my ears and ever so slightly looser. Treble also seemed a bit more grainier. Basically everything seemed a lot more closed in/muffled to my ears.
There is no doubting the comfortability of the Alcantera, they are ear pillows but to me i don't think the trade off is worth it. I missed/craved the stock sound that much. I missed the imaging and the much tighter sound (being my first planar).

I went back to the stock pads and put some toilet paper under the pads to try and get a bit more comfort (as they raise the pads up a bit more). Still nowhere near the comfort of the 1540s though.

Anyways that's just my opinion and i know a lot of people here are waiting for their pads but i thought i would share. Of course YMMV.

I noticed in one of the comments on Z's T50rp mk3 video that they felt the same that i did and what they did was decide to cut open the felt insides of the 1540 pads to expose the driver. They found that this managed to get the stock sound back.
Here is his photo 

However i am definitely apprahensive doing this as these pads were not freaking cheap. 

I always expose the driver, it opens up the sound. Whatever the price of the pads if it makes the sound better...

May 26, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #1,137 of 2,017

Was able to get a hold of 1540 pads locally (from Australia) and was very excited to put them on as i found the comfortability on the stock pads as severely lacking.

Unfortunately for me the 1540 pads changed to sound signature to much for me. It made it sound a bit too dark for me. Now The bass became a touch too more for my ears and ever so slightly looser. Treble also seemed a bit more grainier. Basically everything seemed a lot more closed in/muffled to my ears.
There is no doubting the comfortability of the Alcantera, they are ear pillows but to me i don't think the trade off is worth it. I missed/craved the stock sound that much. I missed the imaging and the much tighter sound (being my first planar).

I noticed in one of the comments on Z's T50rp mk3 video that they felt the same that i did and what they did was decide to cut open the felt insides of the 1540 pads to expose the driver. They found that this managed to get the stock sound back.

Thanks for the review.  I like many others have been waiting to order the 1540 pads that are OOS everywhere I have looked.

I would certainly not want to change the sound signature for comfort, and the 1540 Alcantera pads @$40 are 2/3 the price of the RPs AR....how can that be.

I too love the sound of my T50RP mk3 and find myself reaching for them before some other far more expensive HPs I own.

May 26, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #1,138 of 2,017
  I got my replacement pair yesterday and they do not appear to have any issues with channel imbalance.  One end of the 3.5mm cable causes channel drop in and out when plugged into the headphone but the other side doesn't seem to exhibit the problem. I'm planning on replacing the cable at some point anyway.

When listening to the test tones to judge channel balance, I did notice some slight resonance in the left ear cup for tones between 30hz-40hz, but it's not anything I'd notice or find problematic during normal listening.  I'm still getting accustomed to the sound, but these have a much wider soundstage than I was expecting.  My overall first impressions are positive.  

I actually find the stock pads reasonable comfortable, they distribute the pressure well and I don't mind my ears touching the driver covers slightly.  My only complaint on comfort would be that they feel noticeably heavier than my other headphones.  I do have a pair of the HM5 hybrids on the way mostly to see how they impact the sound, but I don't think changing pads is a necessity for me from a comfort perspective.  

I have noticed a mid-bass hump that seems to get in front of vocals and mid-range instruments at times, so hopefully the hybrid pads don't make that any worse.  I may wind up looking at some velours or taping off the cup vents to see if that brings down the mid-bass a tad.

I am getting that resonance with mine as well. Never noticed it before I actually tested those frequencies specifically at a pretty loud volume though. It seems to be coming from the area where you plug in the headphone cable, weird stuff.

I just did a few more mods on mine that seems to have fixed the resonance. I placed sound dampening foam inside the cups and filled the baffles on the driver housing with newplast( said to reduce vibration). Testing 10-200Hz now the weird resonance is completely gone. Other than that it does not seem like the mods changed the sound much, maybe they sound a tad less peaky up high.

May 27, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #1,139 of 2,017
Will 400mW into 32 Ohms from a Tube Amp BL-2 portable drive the T50RP Mk III properly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back