Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Mar 10, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #676 of 2,017
I am listening to the t50rp with the shure 840 pads and find the mids to be recessed which I don't like. I don't want to use the uncomfortable stock pads. What mods should i do to bring up the mids?

Mar 11, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #677 of 2,017
Refer to BMF's DBV mods for the mk2. The 840 pads block the new baffle vents almost completely compared to the stock pads, effectively turning the pair into an underdamped mk2-ish pair. Add a bit more driver damping to the driver to cancel the effect of the hole in the paper.

Mar 11, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #678 of 2,017
Refer to BMF's DBV mods for the mk2. The 840 pads block the new baffle vents almost completely compared to the stock pads, effectively turning the pair into an underdamped mk2-ish pair. Add a bit more driver damping to the driver to cancel the effect of the hole in the paper.

Thanks! Do you think I shoukd just get pads that don't cover the vents? Any earpad suggestions?

Mar 11, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #680 of 2,017
I am listening to the t50rp with the shure 840 pads and find the mids to be recessed which I don't like. I don't want to use the uncomfortable stock pads. What mods should i do to bring up the mids?

In general you can't bring up the mids, so much as to reduce bass and treble. Take a look at the incremental mods and measurements forums, it's for the mk2, but some of it should carry over

Mar 11, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #681 of 2,017
In general you can't bring up the mids, so much as to reduce bass and treble. Take a look at the incremental mods and measurements forums, it's for the mk2, but some of it should carry over

I think what has happened is that the bass bleeds into the midrange and thereby making it recessed.

And the treble might be a bit spiky in some frequencies.

So to bring forward the mids you need to control those areas with mods

Mar 11, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #682 of 2,017
I think what has happened is that the bass bleeds into the midrange and thereby making it recessed.

And the treble might be a bit spiky in some frequencies.

So to bring forward the mids you need to control those areas with mods

Exactly,

The bass problem you are seeing is common. Damping the rear of the driver directly, filling the cup with cotton, or sealing vents will help hugely. This limits how much air can move, keeping the driver more in control.

For treble, try sound dampening foam on the back of the cup, this helps with reflections.

I use 840 pads on my mk2s, and that reason alone has scared me off the mk3s. Pad choice is severely limited if you want to keep the baffle vent system with the mk3s. If you seal those, you basically just turned them into mk2s heh

Mar 11, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #683 of 2,017
Exactly,

The bass problem you are seeing is common. Damping the rear of the driver directly, filling the cup with cotton, or sealing vents will help hugely. This limits how much air can move, keeping the driver more in control.

For treble, try sound dampening foam on the back of the cup, this helps with reflections.

I use 840 pads on my mk2s, and that reason alone has scared me off the mk3s. Pad choice is severely limited if you want to keep the baffle vent system with the mk3s. If you seal those, you basically just turned them into mk2s heh

Now it's now the cheapest but I gotta bring out the Lawton pads again they are absolutely incredible for them in stock form

Mar 11, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #685 of 2,017
It's easy to rip the lips, thankfully the mk3 baffle assembly makes it easier for ripped pads to stay in place. With the mk2 cups a brainwavz ripped pad will slide right off unless you use adhesive.

Mar 12, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #687 of 2,017
Closing the vents tames the bass yes. But when you close the vents you loose the airyness and openess plus the transparency of the open T20RP. While i don't find the bass overwhelming it can get a bit bloated at times. Is there a way to keep them open but also tame the bass a bit besides velour pads?

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #689 of 2,017
Quick FYI to those considering purchasing the T50RP MK3...

Check your Spam or Promotions Folders in your email for a 20% off coupon code from Musician's Friend. I was able to get a pair yesterday for $107.15 all in ($133.94 - 20%).

Backstory...
Received the email a few days ago; deal expires on 3/14. When I clicked thru, Fostex headphones were eligible but the code wouldn't work in the cart. Instead a chat window pops up. I pointed the CSR to the webpage with the Fostex headphones, gave him my code, and a few minutes later I've got these for a great price. Took a little extra work/patience but worth it.

Just checked the site and it looks like the price before discount dropped a couple more bucks to $131.26
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/save-20?N=500091

Users who are viewing this thread

Back