Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Feb 18, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #649 of 2,017
Yeah np. Need to remember again im not professional and i have probably some hear damage(not 100% like when i was young). I listen a lot of music, so this was definitely leaved some consequences. I'm also not basshead.

To me default fostex provide good smooth sound, but something was not right to me  as mids were way back for me and not involving, to shy. Highs were prevealed although great. Also lows had that bump around 100hz. To my ears and perception it was like lows "eating" lower half of mids spectrum and highs "eating" upper half :) In whole, the sound was, although laid back, to dense to me with everything but no mids. Like sound was compressed and had not enough room to "breath" to full potential. I'm bit exaggerating here, but phone on default had that tendency to leave that impression to me. It was time for modding.

- I was ordered Hybrids and puting in on. It was just a few seconds i was know, this will no go for me, as the low and high   end preveale even more :)

- Then i open the cups and first remove that black tape from vent(first picture). Consequence was, LF were lose some         energy, but sound become somehow more light and a bit more open which i like.

- Next, i'm thinking about reducing that bouncing sound waves in plastic cups, so i put in that low dense, grey piece of         foam and with that, cover the vents. Also in inner side around cup(this is where is bad lows building up, when the cup       and cover are sealed) i placed sealing strips that is normally using for windows(1.,2.,3. picture).This all obviously clean     the sound of some muddines.

I was listening then so a few days but still, i was not quite pleased. Then i was start to thinking about that quite dense       foam with rectangle cut in front of driver. I was somehow sure this have great impact on sounda as the foam is quite       dense and leave qiute a small room for sound to evolve, This sure must have hurt mids the most i was thinking.

- So i was take down original one and replaced it with round pice(withou rectangle cut), cuted from the same                     foam(5.,6.,7. picture), i use in back of cups. I was right, the sound become more calm down and even in spectrum,         more airy because of new foam which were not so dense, so sound  is not building up and "pumping" in that area, Sound   spikes were reduced also. There is one negative impact. Ofcourse, because we cover the driver with foam, sound             become a bit muffled, wich cause that highs lose some details, but nothing drastic and i can happily live with that as         cans are so or so very detailed sounding.

With all easy mods i've done, the cans are more pleasant to listen, at least to me. But i'm sure there are people, which will say, "what are you thinking?" on a bad way:) That's perfectly fine.

Feb 18, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #650 of 2,017
  To me default fostex provide good smooth sound, but something was not right to me  as mids were way back for me and not involving, to shy. Highs were prevealed although great. Also lows had that bump around 100hz. To my ears and perception it was like lows "eating" lower half of mids spectrum and highs "eating" upper half :) In whole, the sound was, although laid back, to dense to me with everything but no mids. Like sound was compressed and had not enough room to "breath" to full potential. I'm bit exaggerating here, but phone on default had that tendency to leave that impression to me. It was time for modding.

I have the same issue with this and Fidelio X2.  I'd like more involving mids and am still wondering whether Alpha, ZMF, SRH840, or HM5 pads will help with this.  I haven't received many responses, so I'm guessing that not many T50RP MK3 owners have changed pads, or there aren't many MK3 owners yet.

Feb 18, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #651 of 2,017
Can't say for sure but i get impression that more the driver are far from ear(with deeper earpads), more of low end is there(not necessary good one) and highs become more and more prevalent over the mids, sound become thin. So without modding of internal structure of cups and fine tuning i can't believe for now, that just replacing the pads will improve sound quality(increased level of low end is not, what i would call SQ improvement), specially without more involving mids.

Feb 18, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #652 of 2,017

...and the second pair came nice and unbroken. :relieved:
I'll just return the first for an exchange. Not sure if I'll mod them, but I might try. For now, I'm enjoying listening to my music on these stock.

Feb 20, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #657 of 2,017

Users who are viewing this thread

Back