Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Dec 15, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #529 of 2,017
I just received my ZMF lamb skin pads, I have a question; the fat sides of the pads should be positioned at the back of the headphones right ?

Yes, the baffle should be facing your earholes.

I have this same query because I'm using the angled velour hm5 pads and assumed they would angle the driver towards the ear canal. However, when used with the wider edge at the back they actually push the rear of the cups out which angles the drivers away from your ear canals.
I had a similar query about my Beyerdynamic T1 which have angled drivers in the same way. The response O recieved was that this was to simulate speakers being placed in front and to the sides of the listener (which to be fair makes sense) However, my only previous experience of angled drivers was on the Philips X1 and X2 which angle the driver in the rear of the cup facing the ear canal. I think this configuration might be better for more direct sound delivery to the ear drum. Whereas if the drivers are angled to the front pointing away this increases soundstage. It's funny because with the velour pads the mk3's sound a little like a grainier T1.

Dec 15, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #530 of 2,017
I wasn't clear, the baffle should face your pinnae from the front, not earholes, however, like everything in this hobby YMMV and you might as well enjoy the sound better with the pads installed the other way around :wink:

Dec 15, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #531 of 2,017
See my attempts at SQ mods and comfort strap:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/11145#post_11662206

Regards,
Peter

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #532 of 2,017
Originally Posted by Sam21 View Post

I just received my ZMF lamb skin pads, I have a question; the fat sides of the pads should be positioned at the back of the headphones right ?.

My Audeze LCD2F pads are fat at the back of the ear, tilting the drivers. My understanding is that this improves imaging and sound stage.

Regards,
Peter

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #534 of 2,017
I have a friend who is looking to buy some monitors for a musical group he tech-manages for.  He has a respectable budget but it's always nice to save because this organization doesn't have TONS of money.  So anyway I want to recommend these to him but is the upgrade to the mk3 worth, specifically, about $30/unit over getting the mk2?  At 4 units that's $120 to save if the mk3 doesn't add much to a live, on-stage monitoring setting.

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #535 of 2,017
I have a friend who is looking to buy some monitors for a musical group he tech-manages for.  He has a respectable budget but it's always nice to save because this organization doesn't have TONS of money.  So anyway I want to recommend these to him but is the upgrade to the mk3 worth, specifically, about $30/unit over getting the mk2?  At 4 units that's $120 to save if the mk3 doesn't add much to a live, on-stage monitoring setting.

I don't have any experience with live monitoring situations using these headphones but would say that my experience with the t50's is that they don't isolate very well which, depending how noisy the environment is, would be a major factor to consider.

Dec 18, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #536 of 2,017

Mk3s have the same driver as the mk2s, just the baffle and back air control are redesigned.

Basically a mk3, is a pair if modded mk2s from the factory.

Mk3s if you want to plug and play. You cans till mod them.

Isolation is as good as 2 plastic baffles between you and the outside world would be. If you add sound dampening foam as most do, it improves it slightly

Dec 18, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #537 of 2,017
Mk3s have the same driver as the mk2s, just the baffle and back air control are redesigned.

Basically a mk3, is a pair if modded mk2s from the factory.

Mk3s if you want to plug and play. You cans till mod them.

Isolation is as good as 2 plastic baffles between you and the outside world would be. If you add sound dampening foam as most do, it improves it slightly

That's a good answer.  Isolation is not actually the idea here but I think I know what I need. 

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #538 of 2,017
Tried the 50s for the first time today, while shopping for something else at Guitar Center. Nothing others haven't said already in this thread, but I was really impressed. They seem power hungry, and I only had my phone to try them with, but with volume at 90% and a touch of eq, they really sounded impressive out of the box. Only flaw I heard - considering price and source - was some sibilance.

Makes me want to try the 40s as an affordable pair to keep bedside (50s leak too much sound).

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #540 of 2,017
Tried the 50s for the first time today, while shopping for something else at Guitar Center. Nothing others haven't said already in this thread, but I was really impressed. They seem power hungry, and I only had my phone to try them with, but with volume at 90% and a touch of eq, they really sounded impressive out of the box. Only flaw I heard - considering price and source - was some sibilance.

Makes me want to try the 40s as an affordable pair to keep bedside (50s leak too much sound).

To my knowlage, all the 40s do, is close the bottom bass vents. They will sound different then the 50s. Less bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back