Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Dec 26, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #542 of 2,017
wondering if anyone is still on this topic but I'm trying to decide weather to keep my beyerdynamic custom studios or go with these I'm using them with a fiio Q1 on my s6 not to worried about leak or isolation just want to know what would work best for my metal music taste. thanks Ifor anyone can get back to me quickly.

Dec 26, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #544 of 2,017
Well I played around with different pads a bit.

HM5 pads fit with some stretching, but I'm starting to love them less. Every headphone I use with them has their sound changed apparently just by the extra distance that the pads create. It's just too much.

I tried the stock pads with my 3D printed spacers, which are hard plastic and add only enough space under the pads for my ears. They feel great so far - my ear fits freely into the pad now and it's overall much more comfortable. The pads are resting against my head, not my ears. Unlike the HM5 pads, they push the padded section of the earpad out a few millimeters, leaving space for your ears.

As for sound, I started doing only one pad at a time, and didn't detect any change in the sound at all. I'm going to listen for a while and see how I like them.

side note, these headphones seem to require a TON of power. I'm using them with a Lyr 2, and on low gain I had the volume knob at about 2 o'clock. Crazy.

Pics:

Dec 26, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #546 of 2,017
My 50rps I run off of my modi2 U and mangi 2 uber on high gain, barely touch the knob.

Not as hungry as most orthros, but they are definatly still orthros through and through. My iPod can get ok volume, they sound rather flat though

Dec 26, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #547 of 2,017
Apparently not a single human person owns the open 20's so of course I plunked down $130 on those. Probably could have achieved the same sound with an easily modded pair of 50's, and vice versa, - save $30. I'm an open fiend so I just couldn't bring myself to grab the 50. Seeing if these will replace my Beyer 990's for all-around - gaming, etc. Tall order.

Desperate to try/like a planar headphone. If these go back I might just try the 400s for more than double.

Dec 26, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #548 of 2,017
  Apparently not a single human person owns the open 20's so of course I plunked down $130 on those. Probably could have achieved the same sound with an easily modded pair of 50's, and vice versa, - save $30. I'm an open fiend so I just couldn't bring myself to grab the 50. Seeing if these will replace my Beyer 990's for all-around - gaming, etc. Tall order.

Desperate to try/like a planar headphone. If these go back I might just try the 400s for more than double.

You can have a similar signature to the 990 by tuning but I don't think anything is going to surpass the 990 for gaming performance. I have a 990 32ohm and I probably will never sell it. 

Dec 26, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #549 of 2,017

Every impression I read of the 20s said they had more bass than the others but weren't quite as neutral.

Got the 50s and they sound great but often find myself using bass boost.

Should be easy to compare how the others would sound by covering the vents from the outside. Easier to do that instead of taking one apart to remove the inside covering.

Dec 26, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #550 of 2,017

I bought the T20RP mkIII's and posted my impressions in this thread.

Dec 26, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #552 of 2,017
  I bought the T20RP mkIII's and posted my impressions in this thread.

Apologies. 37 pages of mostly 50 talk so I just entered skim mode. Thanks for the measurements. 

Quote:
  You can have a similar signature to the 990 by tuning but I don't think anything is going to surpass the 990 for gaming performance. 

The treble is starting to become an issue for me with some music. I can only EQ so much out of it. Just time to try something else. Kind of a stretch but whatever. They can go back easy enough but will try to like and keep them regardless. Not a lot of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back