Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Dec 28, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #556 of 2,017
My 50rps I run off of my modi2 U and mangi 2 uber on high gain, barely touch the knob.

Not as hungry as most orthros, but they are definatly still orthros through and through. My iPod can get ok volume, they sound rather flat though

I use the Modi/Vali and that sounds pretty good. The fiio e18 also pumps out enough juice for on the go listening of anyone's thinking of taking these outdoors.

Dec 28, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #559 of 2,017
From the reading i've done since I first asked the question, it seems like Fostex kind of adopted the most popular Mk2 mods in the Mk3. Fair to say?

Definitely, if you look at the changes they have made they're all found in the mk2 modification thread. Just a shame they didn't experiment with deeper pads as well in my opinion. I've fitted the hm5 velours and that has increased the width of the soundstage considerably but ultimately I would like a bit more bass and a bit less treble. I find them a bit too bright for my tastes at the moment. I honestly do think that these can be modded to near perfection, for my tastes anyway. Currently I still prefer my modded mk2's though.

Dec 28, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #560 of 2,017
Definitely, if you look at the changes they have made they're all found in the mk2 modification thread. Just a shame they didn't experiment with deeper pads as well in my opinion. I've fitted the hm5 velours and that has increased the width of the soundstage considerably but ultimately I would like a bit more bass and a bit less treble. I find them a bit too bright for my tastes at the moment. I honestly do think that these can be modded to near perfection, for my tastes anyway. Currently I still prefer my modded mk2's though.

Someone on reddit - maybe it was you? - posted measurements of the Mk3's with various pads, and recommended the HM5 Hybrids.

I ended up ordering those and we'lls ee how it goes. 

Here's the thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/3yajpu/t50rp_pad_replacement/

Dec 29, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #565 of 2,017
They're on. What a pain that was 
eek.gif

Quote:
  After several frustrating hours I'm about to give up installing these Brainwavz pads. Is there some sort of method to getting them on? They're clearly not designed for the mk3.

Dec 29, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #567 of 2,017
After several frustrating hours I'm about to give up installing these Brainwavz pads. Is there some sort of method to getting them on? They're clearly not designed for the mk3.

They are a bit daunting at first but trust me, once you get the technique you'll have them on in minutes.
First extend the earcup on which you are fitting the pad all the way down with the other as far up as it will go.
Then fit the top section of the pad (without the seam) loosely over the top section of the cup.
Now here's the essential part, hold the pad in place at the edge of where it is up to on the cup at both sides using the thumb and forfinger of the left hand. Now with the free right hand place a bit more of the pad into the rim before holding it firmly in place with the forfinger of the left hand.
If you don't hold the pads onto the rim in this way they will just keep slipping off (as I'm sure you've discovered).
By repeating this process above you will eventually get them on. They do need to stretch an awful lot and at first it seems impossible but you can push them much harder than you think.
However, this process cannot be repeated a lot. I had a pair that I kept removing whilst modding my mk2's and the third time the elastic snapped. They still worked but slipped off all the time. However, since replacing them they have remained on and intact for months now.
Hope this helps
Good luck

Dec 29, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #568 of 2,017

Thanks for the tips. I did get them on eventually.

I have to say that I'm initially disappointed with the sound. The life is sucked out of the music somewhat. I'm guessing mods are needed to get the best from the drivers with these pads. Can't wait to get them off and get the stock ones back on but I shall keep them on for a while seeing as they're such a pain to fit. Perhaps I need to get used to the change in sound. They're so comfy though.

Dec 29, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #569 of 2,017
Thanks for the tips. I did get them on eventually.

I have to say that I'm initially disappointed with the sound. The life is sucked out of the music somewhat. I'm guessing mods are needed to get the best from the drivers with these pads. Can't wait to get them off and get the stock ones back on but I shall keep them on for a while seeing as they're such a pain to fit. Perhaps I need to get used to the change in sound. They're so comfy though.

Which Brainwavz did you use?

Dec 29, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #570 of 2,017
The angled velours. A couple of others using them in this thread I think.

Quite frustrating comparing these pads to the stock ones. The person who said when comparing hifi sound differences we have a sonic memory of around 6 seconds was spot on! We quickly adjust to different signatures. There's certainly nothing offensive about the sound from the angled velours. I just find the sound a bit less dynamic sounding and smoother than stock. Bass doesn't sound as extended either. Less rumbly. I guess some would like that though. I could do with another pair of mk3s to compare!

Quote:
Which Brainwavz did you use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back