Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Jan 9, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #588 of 2,017
Does this mean that MrSpeakers will continue to making Mad dogs? It seemed to me that he just stopped producing them because the T50RPmk2 were
discontinued..

I doubt it. The profit margin on the Ether and other (I'm sure) upcoming, made-in-house headphones is way bigger than the Mad Dog's profits ever were.

Jan 9, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #589 of 2,017
Desperate times require desperate solutions. The stock pads on my T40RPs were killing my ears so I stuffed some LAN cable on the inside against the edge. Much better comfort wise, more space for my ears and staging improved a bit, too. It should be OK until my Shure 840 pads arrive.

PS: For maximum instrument positioning improvement use Cat 7.0 cable!

Jan 14, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #590 of 2,017
Mine arrived today. They sound great. Much closer to the sound of the stock pads. I became quite used to the sound of the angled velours but it's nice to have that bass extension back and the more direct sound.

Quote:

Interesting.

I just ordered the hybrid non-angled based on measurements that someone posted on Reddit showing that the Hybrids improved the sound.

I have grown a bit skeptical about HM5 pads in general after trying them on my M50s and MSR7s. They are super comfortable, but I think their extreme depth degraded the sound a bit. 

I have been using them on my HE500, which stretches them out and makes them circular; this week i'm going to compare them to Alpha pads. The hybrids should arrive today; we'll see what happens.

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #591 of 2,017
Got the Shure 840 pads off ebay for $5 delivered. It took a while but they fit great and they're way more comfortable than stock. You can't go wrong at that price!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111718995999

Jan 15, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #594 of 2,017
Are the 840 pads like the 940 pads in that they have a rather thick foam in front of the driver?  If so, peel off a layer (or go crazy and cut it out entirely) and the highs should be brought up.  Only do this if it matches your tastes, of course.

Jan 17, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #597 of 2,017
  I picked up a set of T40RP MK3s to try out last week.

Pretty disappointing, though I might exchange the current set for a different one - as my prior experience suggests there can be enormous differences in performance among different samples of the same headphone model.

As many have already posted - the pads are simply too small.  A shame...because the clamping force is reasonable and they are otherwise reasonably comfortable on my rather thin, oval-shaped head.  Fair enough - the pad issue seems to be easily resolvable with a set of SRH 840 pads.

The build quality is not all that good for $150 and the bayonet-style locking cable has "swift, sudden failure" written all over it.

They are notably hard to drive.  Even more so than my AKG K240 Studios - a model that is, itself, notably harder to drive than its modest impedance suggests.

But the real problem is the sound quality.  It's fairly-neutral but most everything seems badly, badly muffled.  Detail retrieval is not great due to the muffling.  Extension in the bass is not good.  I'm not a basshead but the bass impact and extension isn't even any better than in an AKG K240 Studio.  Treble performance is merely okay - it isn't harsh but lacks sparkle and the extension is only so-so.  PRAT is not very good.  The width of the soundstage is okay for a closed headphone - but the imaging is not crisp. 

Improvement of any of these with my Schitt Vali seems negligible vs. my onboard laptop soundcard.

I'm curious as to how ever people have fared with the T40RPmk3.

Have you considered tuning them yourself? The headphones in stock form are OK, but they can become very good after some tuning. Obviously there will be a lot of testing between changes, but once you find the right tune for you it is very rewarding.

Jan 18, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #598 of 2,017
I thought all the mk3s are supposed to sound very good stock compared to the mk2 and need little modding? Certainly my T50RP mk3 sounds great stock. Saying that I've not heard the T40RP mk3 though. 

The lack of modding discussion regarding the mk3 would suggest most people are happy with the sound? All discussions seem to be about improving comfort. Something I finally sorted out with the Brainwavz pads :)

Quote:
  Have you considered tuning them yourself? The headphones in stock form are OK, but they can become very good after some tuning. Obviously there will be a lot of testing between changes, but once you find the right tune for you it is very rewarding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back