Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Oct 10, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #241 of 2,017
Approx measurements (L x W)...they are elliptical not round: 
Outside of pad 4.25" x 4"
Inside of pad (space for ears) 2.25" x 1.5"
Depth is 0.5"

thanks! if you would like to take pictures & post it in the Size Matters thread, it would be really helpful!!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/653032/size-matters-earpad-hole-measurements-for-over-ear-headphones/75

Oct 15, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #246 of 2,017
Anyone know of a good place (at the $160 price) to buy the T50rp MK3 if I want them faster than in 2-3 weeks?
wink.gif
Hrmm that mention of Guitar Center could be an option though, even if I do despise local sales tax. Sort of want to replace my MT220, not that it's bad but with the T50rp MK3 on the market I'm wondering if it'd sound any better for virtually the same price....

Oct 15, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #247 of 2,017
  Anyone know of a good place (at the $160 price) to buy the T50rp MK3 if I want them faster than in 2-3 weeks?
wink.gif
Hrmm that mention of Guitar Center could be an option though, even if I do despise local sales tax. Sort of want to replace my MT220, not that it's bad but with the T50rp MK3 on the market I'm wondering if it'd sound any better for virtually the same price....

Keep an eye on this page :) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0167XM092

Oct 15, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #248 of 2,017
wink.gif

Steve:

Guitar Center had them in stock last time I checked in Arvada,  Use online code FALLROCKS via online or call center then pickup in store and save 8%, should cover the tax.  

WOW- Amazon just jacked their price up to $185

Oct 15, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #249 of 2,017
Steve:

Guitar Center had them in stock last time I checked in Arvada,  Use online code FALLROCKS via online or call center then pickup in store and save 8%, should cover the tax.  

WOW- Amazon just jacked their price up to $185

Long and McQuade just put the price to 179. I was just about to pull the trigger on these too. *sigh*

Oct 16, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #250 of 2,017
Steve:  

Thanks, ordered a pair and opted to get it shipped for free so I could save on the gas money too.
wink.gif
Encouraging impressions you posted earlier on your blog btw, looking forward to comparing to the MT220 and MSR7 myself....

Oct 17, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #253 of 2,017
Oct 18, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #255 of 2,017
So I ordered the T50RP mk3, and received it today after seeing it for sale for $139, lower than anywhere else right now.  My previous headphones include modded monoprices, and Pioneer SE-A1000 modded.

This is the most expensive headphone I have purchased, as I am hoping to step up the sound quality and detail a bit.  I am used to my obnoxiously good quality ESS on my main sound system, so I do have audiophile tastes.

After all that I have heard about this series of Fostex, I was really shocked to hear quite an abundance of bass - almost too much.  (My tastes seem to be unusual; I am one of a minority who modded my Pioneers for more highs, while other complain about too much piercing highs stock.)

I tried adding fiberglass, and it killed the bass too much.  I tried a smaller amount and I didn't like it, so I'm back at stock for now.

For those curious, there is no padding or stuffing inside the cup like some may have guessed.  It's an empty plastic shell, with rubber grommets holding the driver in place and the felt blocking the opening.  There is also one open section on the white driver diaphragm itself.  If you look at the back of the mk2 (based on google image pics) there is the 9 white covers on the rear of the driver.  Here, one of the 9 sections is open.

So I would expect that these may make a great base for modding, since cup modifications are still fair game.

So, any ideas on mods?  Or should I just start with getting some velour pads and calling it a day?  (I understand pads can make a big difference.)  I have large ears and these stock pads aren't too good.

Any specific recommendations on pads?

Thank you all; I'm sorry if I ramble.  I do kinda wish they had the open back sound the Pioneers do, but can't have everything.  :wink:

Thanks,

IBJamon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back