Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Oct 5, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #214 of 2,017
Listened to them at the show, and they do impress. I do believe they are the cheapest planar/ortho cans around.

I'll probably get the T20RP mkIII first. They left the biggest grin on my face (BASS is full and strong)... The new mkIII's are like the poor mans LCD's.

Oct 5, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #215 of 2,017
  Dear All, I apologize -- the headband felt to me like a rubber strap, but a picture I took shows clearly a padded headband.

slice the edge open and replace with soft memory type foam perhaps then reseal it?

Oct 5, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #216 of 2,017

Hahhaha that gave me the idea of developing a headphone headband that comes with an optional wig, you know, for that extra comfort :)

But really, sometimes I wish I didn't have so much hair. Waking up late and having to magically make your hair settle in a few minutes sucks hahahah

Lol! ("optional wig")

Those of us who are follicle(ly) challenged should try that.

Oct 5, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #217 of 2,017

Plan to get a pair of Mk3s but having a hard time deciding which one: 20, 40, or 50. Thinking I'd be more comfortable travelling with these less expensive phones rather than risk losing or damaging my more expensive headphones.

Haven't heard any of them yet but the fully-open 20s are enticing (thanks to the bass impressions) but does anyone know how much sound they leak (and the semi-open 50s)?

Think the closed 40s would be best for travel but I get the impression they don't sound quite as good as the other two.

Oct 5, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #218 of 2,017

Think the closed 40s would be best for travel but I get the impression they don't sound quite as good as the other two.

The main SQ differences are in the amount of bass each one is tuned to have.

T50RPmk3 (semi-open) = bass neutral-ish

T40RPmk3 (sealed)       = bass light 

T20RPmk3 (open)         = bass heavy

For whatever reason, the open-back is bass heavy and the closed-back is bass light.  It's usually the other way around!
confused_face(1).gif

Oct 5, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #220 of 2,017

For whatever reason, the open-back is bass heavy and the closed-back is bass light.  It's usually the other way around!
confused_face(1).gif

Wouldn't it be about the bass extension each version has instead of bass quantity?

Usually open-back headphones have a well extended bass, which gives a depth sound to it.
In contrast, closed-back retains the bass thump in the cans and reflects it back to your ears, making it feel like the bass in a studio with isolated walls rather than on a stage or in an open hall.
The semi-open would be sonically situated in between, with its precise location depending on how open/closed they are (some semi-open have smaller/narrower "vents", resulting in a sound closer to a closed-back, whereas other have some pretty large "vents", sounding more like an open-back.

For comparison, the Superlux HD668B (semi-open) sounds more open than closed, in my opinion.

I'm not sure why they say that the open-back has more bass than the closed-back, though. 
confused.gif

Oct 5, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #221 of 2,017
Comments from another forum :

T50RP MK3 – "When I first saw Tyll, the first thing he said was to check out the T50RP MK3. What? I thought he was pulling a prank on me. Did he really want me to hear another iteration of a headphone that needed mods to sound good? All they did was change the pads and headband, right? Wrong! I mean, sure, the pads and headband were new. The pads, despite looking similar to the old pads, were surprisingly comfortable and fit nicely. But before putting them on, I noticed there was something around the driver on the front side of the baffle. Baffle mods, eh? Maybe there was more to this iteration than I expected.

I played some music from Tyll’s portable setup with the T50RP MK3 and…whoa! Good bass extension, good bass power and presence, balanced midrange, good clarity, decent sense of space for a mostly closed headphone, and maybe a hint of that typical T50RP sharpness in the treble. And only $160! OK, so the show conditions weren’t the best way for me to see how technically capable they were, but I liked the tonal balance over a lot of headphones at the show. These are NOT the typical T50RP MK2. The reps were honest in that the company was inspired by the modding community. These are a steal and a definite highlight for me. I think had the MK2 sounded like this, no one would have bothered modding them in the first place."

Oct 5, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #222 of 2,017

Hahahah I think it might be quite a good idea! Not the "wig" part, but if headphone makers offered some different headband as a "choose either" optional for extra comfort for people without hair!

atsmile.gif
 Bald smile approves! 
beerchug.gif

I use these (in black):

http://www.amazon.com/Headphone-Sennheiser-Audio-Technica-Replacement-Protector/dp/B00OF71WWO/ref=sr_1_1?srs=9113836011&ie=UTF8&qid=1444079840&sr=8-1&keywords=headband

Oct 5, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #223 of 2,017

confused_face(1).gif

Wouldn't it be about the bass extension each version has instead of bass quantity?

Usually open-back headphones have a well extended bass, which gives a depth sound to it.
In contrast, closed-back retains the bass thump in the cans and reflects it back to your ears, making it feel like the bass in a studio with isolated walls rather than on a stage or in an open hall.
The semi-open would be sonically situated in between, with its precise location depending on how open/closed they are (some semi-open have smaller/narrower "vents", resulting in a sound closer to a closed-back, whereas other have some pretty large "vents", sounding more like an open-back.

For comparison, the Superlux HD668B (semi-open) sounds more open than closed, in my opinion.

I'm not sure why they say that the open-back has more bass than the closed-back, though. 
confused.gif

Yeah, seems it usually is the other way around.

Right, it could be people confusing bass extension with quantity.

Guess I'll stick with getting the 50s. They should fall right in the middle (no matter how the bass is interpreted).

Oct 5, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #225 of 2,017

Users who are viewing this thread

Back