Fostex HP-P1 Portable DAC for iPhone, iPod and iPad (With Built-In Headphone Amp) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 011
Sep 10, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #76 of 129
Very nice DAC, albeit my wallet does not agree with the price on it
angry_face.gif
! Great review too!

Sep 11, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #77 of 129
Hi guys. I know slightly off topic but since moon audio has the Fostex on special for $650 I was wondering if anyone will be selling a alo rx mk2 amp? I have a CLAS and am looking for a rx mk2 in black. I considered the fostex given the great price but I have only just got the CLAS. For anyone who has not heard the fostex or CLAS, they are game changers. The sound difference compared to lossless via a high quality LOD from an iPod is huge. It is a brick but well worth carrying.

Sep 12, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #78 of 129

Quote:
yeah, it looks so ridiculous walking around with your headphone cable coming out of your coat pocket or manbag, i got news for you, other people, they dont think about you at all

nice review Jude, pretty much what i thought re the fostex, pity, looks like i'm stuck with my rig as it is, it is sexy though

Wait, you know what other people are thinking?

Or are you basing your pre-decided disposition of other people's psyche to try to tell people that you think you know what other people are thinking? 

Pro tip: every time i see a dude with a manbag i giggle inside.

And if your coat pocket is really large enough to house a HP-P1 and the rest of your portable RIG without looking like you copped a costco size box of cheeze-its then i would be really surprised

if you carry this thing around, your turning heads dude, not that its a bad thing

Sep 13, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #79 of 129
Jude, I really enjoyed this episode.  I switched from iMod > Vcap Dock > amp to an HM-801 (and iPhone > LOD and Pico Slim) so I wouldn't have to cart around a huge stack of gear.  So I've been reluctant to invest in the CLAS + amp.

I was wondering is there are any issues with hiss and IEM with this Fostex amp?  

Also, I notice it has optical out - did you only try the line out to test the DAC, or also the optical out into a nicer DAC?  

I'm still put off about 7 hours of battery life, because I tend to forget to turn off amps and stuff, and then come back to find the battery dead before the day is over.  Can it run as a desktop unit while plugged into 5v USB power, so that it doesn't drain the battery and die after 7 hours?

Lastly, you mentioned the DAC itself is on par with the CLAS, but what amp would you say the HP P1 headphone jack comes closest to replicating?

Thanks!

Sep 13, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #80 of 129

Quote:
Jude, I really enjoyed this episode.  I switched from iMod > Vcap Dock > amp to an HM-801 (and iPhone > LOD and Pico Slim) so I wouldn't have to cart around a huge stack of gear.  So I've been reluctant to invest in the CLAS + amp.

I was wondering is there are any issues with hiss and IEM with this Fostex amp?  

Also, I notice it has optical out - did you only try the line out to test the DAC, or also the optical out into a nicer DAC?  

I'm still put off about 7 hours of battery life, because I tend to forget to turn off amps and stuff, and then come back to find the battery dead before the day is over.  Can it run as a desktop unit while plugged into 5v USB power, so that it doesn't drain the battery and die after 7 hours?

Lastly, you mentioned the DAC itself is on par with the CLAS, but what amp would you say the HP P1 headphone jack comes closest to replicating?

Thanks!

I know your questions were directed to Jude, but here are my takes on those subjects...

1.  Yesterday I used HP P-1 with Westone UM3x's and experienced zero hiss.  This is the only IEM I have used so far.
2.  Used optical to PS Audio DLIII/Cullen Level IV -- works beautifully.  Line out is mini-jack, so I did not even consider it.  CLAS has co-ax, which is a nice touch.
3.  Can also run it via USB or AC adapter.  Can charge from AC adapter, too.
4.  The only amps I have used with HP P-1 are RSA SR71-A and the amp section of iBasso D10.  The internal amp has more body than SR71-A.  SR71-A is more detailed and open.  Both have plenty of grunt, so in practical terms it is more a matter of different flavors.  HP P-1 is several orders of magnitude better than the D10 IMO -- not in the same league let alone the same ballpark.

Hope this helps.

Sep 13, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #81 of 129
Quote:

This thing with battery life is what puts me off too, it wouldn't even last a short trans-continental flight. After a lot of thinking, I decided to keep the CLAS until some other new model comes out. The CLAS gives me sufficient battery life (just barely) and with my arrow amp the bulk isn't that bad. Did I mention that the sound coming out of my portable rig is jaw-dropping? In all my years playing with portable headphone equipment, nothing, nothing has made such a drastic difference in sound quality than the CLAS, simply unbelievable!

Sep 14, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #82 of 129

Quote:
Quote:

This thing with battery life is what puts me off too, it wouldn't even last a short trans-continental flight. After a lot of thinking, I decided to keep the CLAS until some other new model comes out. The CLAS gives me sufficient battery life (just barely) and with my arrow amp the bulk isn't that bad. Did I mention that the sound coming out of my portable rig is jaw-dropping? In all my years playing with portable headphone equipment, nothing, nothing has made such a drastic difference in sound quality than the CLAS, simply unbelievable!

Guy, since you already own the CLAS I hear where you are coming form and would probably do the same if I were in the same position.  But, the 7 hour battery life on the Fostex is non-factorfor someone for who: (a) does not already own the CLAS; and (2) already owns a good portable amp.  Face it, in the *real* world anyone who springs for either of these has a good amp.  I appreciate the flexibility of having the option of going with a short-stack the vast majority of the time.  If travel trans-Pacific frequently so as an all-in-one there are certainly battery life issues. 

So, I can add: (a) my SR71-A; or (2) the Energizer portable power pack which is similar in size to a HP amp but can also juice my phone, MacBook Air, etc.  and stretch battery life well beyond my needs.  HP P-1 has a very flexible footprint, whereas the CLAS always needs to be a triple decker.  No options.

As I said, in your case I would go exactly the same route.   But if anyone who does not already have the CLAS and is getting their panties in a bunch about battery life is just misguided.  

Sep 14, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #83 of 129
I agree. I only use iPhone 4 -> ES5 or UE18 Pro when I want something "portable".

Portable to me is something I can slip into my pocket without carrying any extra bag. Although I have both CLAS and Fostex HP-P1, as well as HM801 and a couple of "portable amps", I never use them on the go. I use them in my office setup and only when I go for a vacation would I carry them.

Sep 14, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #84 of 129
Where can I get some good quality lithium battery for the SR-71A? Is there a law that you can't ship batteries by air?

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #85 of 129

Quote:
Where can I get some good quality lithium battery for the SR-71A? Is there a law that you can't ship batteries by air?

There was a really informative post here with a link to ultra hi-capacity Li rechargeable 9V but I did not bookmark it since I already have a healthy investment in Tysonic low discharge 9v's and charger.  I will dig and try to find it.  That would definitely be the way to go.  I am sure mine came by air from the distributor.  On a non commercial basis I have shipped everything from batteries to hashish without incident.

EDIT: This is the one I saw recommended here at Head-Fi.  520 MHA!!! (badass mofo, but you need a dedicated charger):  http://www.batteryjunction.com/ipowerus-9v-520.html   

Sep 14, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #86 of 129
Nobody else thought the audio in this episode slipped from previous episodes?

Sep 17, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #88 of 129
Hey Jude - Would you expand on your brief comments contrasting the Fostex with the HM801.  Your only comments were that that the two sounded quite different, with the HM801 sounding more "lush" and the Fostex more neutral.  I'd be interested to hear more on that given the two DACs being used (R2R vs Sigma Delta AKM).

Sep 18, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #89 of 129
I have both the HM801 and the Fostex HP-P1. Using the line out to the same amp, I feel that the HM801 gives a warmer sound. The HP-P1's DAC is still a bit warmer than the CLAS, but is as detailed as the CLAS and IMO a bit more musical than the CLAS. The 801's DAC, however, may not be suitable for low mid focused tracks such as Diana Krall and some male vocal. Overall I feel that both the CLAS' and the Fostex's DAC are a league better than the 801's DAC - but you have to take into account the fact that the HM801 is able to play 96/24 files. I heard that CLAS is also capable of playing back 96/24 from the iPad (but not iPhone or iPod) but I haven't tried it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back