1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Fostex HP-P1 Portable DAC for iPhone, iPod and iPad (With Built-In Headphone Amp) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 011

Discussion in 'Head-Fi Network & Industry News' started by jude, Sep 4, 2011.
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Next

Last
  1. jude Administrator
    NOTE:  If you can't see the embedded video above, please CLICK HERE to see the video.

In Episode 011 of Head-Fi TV, we take a look at the Fostex HP-P1, a portable DAC (based on the AKM4480 32-bit DAC chip) for iDevices (iPhone / iPod / iPad), that has its own built-in headphone amp.  You may recall in Head-Fi TV Episode 003 we looked at another portable iDevice DAC--the Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo--and we do discuss the Fostex HP-P1 relative to the Algorhythm Solo in this episode.

This episode is brought to you by CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audiofest and Rocky Mountain Audiofest.  Find out more about the best high-end headphone show in the world by visiting http://www.canjam.org

Products mentioned in the video:

1. Fostex HP-P1 portable digital iPod/iPhone/iPad DAC and headphone amplifier
    2. Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo portable digital iPod/iPhone/iPad DAC
    3. Apple iPod 160GB portable media player
    4. Apple iPhone mobile phone and portable media player
    5. Apple iPad tablet computer and media player
    6. HiFiMAN HM-801 portable media player, DAC and headphone amp
    7. JH Audio JH-16 Pro custom in-ear monitors
    8. Westone ES5 custom in-ear monitors
    9. Ray Samuels Audio Shadow headphone amplifier
    10. TTVJ Slim portable headphone amplifier
    11. HeadAmp Pico Slim portable headphone amplifier
    12. Audeze LCD-2 planar magnetic headphones
    13. AKG K 340 hybrid electret / dynamic headphones (discontinued)
    14. Sennheiser HD 800 headphones
    15. HiFiMAN HE-6 headphones
    16. Ray Samuels Audio SR-71B fully balanced portable headphone amp
    17. Sennheiser HD 558 headphones
    18. Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
    19. Grado HF-1 (Grado Head-Fi Series) headphonest
    20. V-MODA Crossfade M-80 headphones
    21. Sennheiser / adidas HD 25-1 II Originals headphones
    22. beyerdynamic DT 1350 headphones

Head-Fi TV Episode 011 produced by Joseph Cwik and Jude Mansilla

We will occasionally post Q&A episodes of Head-Fi TV.  If you want to submit any questions (or comments), you can do so via email to tv@head-fi.org.

2. DigitalFreak
    650 to 800 bananas, wow what a price tag.

3. Austin Morrow
    Gotta love the episodes! That is a very hefty price tag though.

4. cifani090
    Nice review Jude! Im always looking forward to your video reviews. [​IMG]

5. Il Mostro
    $650.00 street price -- worth every bit of it.  

BacHolz likes this.
  6. vlach
    Good to know the DACs are more similar than different, however i wish Jude would've compared the amp section of the HP-P1 against the others he hand on hand...

7. vlach

Quote:

Have you heard it?

8. vlach
    Post removed.

9. Il Mostro

Quote:

Bought it -- Moon Audio.  Drew throws in a Silver Dragon LOD/USB, so IMO this is the best deal out there.  

10. keanex Contributor
    Doesn't look portable by any means.

11. DigitalFreak

Quote:

Looks far more portable then lugging around a CLAS plus amp combo

12. keanex Contributor
    That doesn't make it portable though. I don't think many people could fit that and an iPod in their pocket comfortably.

13. DigitalFreak

Quote:

You know now that I think about it it's a real shame the CLAS and Fostex stuff doesn't work with any DAP. If it did a nice clip+ combo would make it quite a nice portable option. As it is the only more portable option remaining is a iPod Nano which carries quite a premium price.

14. Il Mostro

Quote:

Since when does being able to put a device(s) in your pocket define portability?   This is no less portable than an iPod plus competent portable amp.  Compared to my previous go-to portable set-up, 160GB Classic/RSA SR 71-A, the HP P-1 is slightly bigger than the RSA but the total footprint feels pretty much the same.  SQ is exponentially better.  Mind blowingly so.  If I want to minimalist, yes I will go with IEMs/iPod and still have a good time.  Heck, I have a good time with the Nano and IEM's.  The sound from a stacked setup, whether CLAS or HP P-1 and with resolving enough 'phones, is whole different ballgame.

15. AudioRook
    Nice review!

2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Next

Last