Fostex HP-P1 Portable DAC for iPhone, iPod and iPad (With Built-In Headphone Amp) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 011
Sep 5, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #19 of 129
I am using Fostex HP-P1 + SR71A + LCD2 Rev 1 as my office rig now. The previous combo I use, the CLAS + Meier Stepdance (15V regulated)) + LCD Rev 1, was very good - so I thought - until I tried out the HP-P1 combo. In comparison, the CLAS combo sounded so clean that it was almost a bit clinical to me, and it was not how the LCD2 Rev 1 is supposed to sound. Now with the HP-P1 / SR71A combo, all the creaminess of the Rev 1 came back alive. I will also do a critical comparison between the HP-P1/SR71A combo and the HP-P1 itself (using its own amp section under mid / high gain). I will also have to do some critical listening to spell out the difference between Filter 1 and Filter 2 which I think Jude did not mention about. 

Sep 5, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #20 of 129
Just love how jude throw those accessories aside like he doesn't care. 
atsmile.gif

Sep 5, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #21 of 129
I was a little worried when he picked up the CLAS combo and the Fostex combo, wondering if he would do the same to those two expensive piles of bricks... 
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #23 of 129
Nice thought out review Jude!  Thanks,

M

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #24 of 129
Jude, can't stop looking at your watch. :) I have the same impression with the Fostex compared to the CLAS. I prefer the CLAS simply because I use other portable amps.

Sep 5, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #26 of 129
that rig with the HD25 looks all mighty.
I'm not an ipod fan, but theese products are quite appealing, specially the DAC part. prices are high but this is a "new" technology. im sure prices will go down as soon as other companies enter the market.

Sep 5, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #27 of 129
Is it just me, or did the audio suck on this episode?

Sep 5, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #28 of 129
I was thinking about an iPod Classic>AlgoRhythm Solo>iBasso D4 Mamba>JH13 IEMs for a rig, but now I'm confused. Was there a channel imbalance at normal listening levels? I am SUCH a stickler for that. I can't stand when the vocals aren't centered right.

Sep 5, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #29 of 129
Nice review, but personally I like having separate components just like on my home system. I am currently using an iPod classic 160, a Millet portable tube amp and the Cypher Labs Solo. This set up sound better than many home systems I've heard (through my LCD2's). The separate components also gives me more playing time, the Solo alone gets 10-11 hours and my Millet tube amp gets around 15-20 hours, the Fostex "all in one" gets around 7 hours. The smaller footprint of the Fostex and iPod seems more appealing, but so does an integrated home amplifier. I think I can manage 6oz and 1 inch more in size to have at least 70% more playing time. I haven't heard the Fostex and I'm sure if Jude says it sounds great, it does. But mixing separate components will always give you the satisfaction of finding a new sound you will love.....for now.

Sep 5, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #30 of 129
Well in terms of just $ i wouldnt really consider it worth it. You could get a DAC of the same quality like he has and a superior amp for the same price!

The only thing your paying extra for is having them both in the same package, which only is superior if you WILL be traveling with it, and theres no way im lugging that thing around unless its a road trip and not much on foot traveling of security at airports. 

plus, you would just look ridiculous

Personally, away from home i just bite my tongue and take some low impedeance cans that i can run out of a cowon

it aint that bad, really

Users who are viewing this thread

Back