Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
Jun 3, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #1,036 of 1,448
Hi 3 of you

I will always keep my Fostex forever.
Fostex Hp p1 is the same like cyberlabs solo old , these two classical dac / amp I will keep forever.

Please don't sell them , you won't regret
Now has so many Dac or Dac/ amp are coming , but still the SQ from Fostex Hp P1 can not far from me
biggrin.gif

Now my friends miss their Fostex Hp P1 and their bought again.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the perspective, Rudi! I do not know anyone who has heard as many portable devices as you have so I respect your opinion. Nice that the HP-P1 can hold its own against so many new devices.  
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #1,037 of 1,448
I think the HP-P1 is Fostex's masterpiece, amongst all their other luxurious consumer products, I expect it will be fondly remembered in the future. However there are times when another amp/dac is better with a particular headphone. 

I am very much waiting in anticipation on the HP-PV, hoping it manages to be an equally well designed adjunct to the HP-P1.

Jun 4, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #1,038 of 1,448
Although all seems quiet on the HP-V1 front, I did manage to get an update from Fostex that they're sorting a few issues but still on track. i.e. it's not shelved.

You're aware though the HP-V1 is only a (tube) amp? No DAC inside - unless they have changed the design drastically since Feb.

Jun 4, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #1,039 of 1,448
Quote:
Although all seems quiet on the HP-V1 front, I did manage to get an update from Fostex that they're sorting a few issues but still on track. i.e. it's not shelved.

You're aware though the HP-V1 is only a (tube) amp? No DAC inside - unless they have changed the design drastically since Feb.

Good to hear. Yes, I believe it is only an amplifier, but something that is designed to complement the HP-P1 with another character, possibly allow for a greater range of headphones to work at their potential and an improvement on the quality of HP-P1. A daunting challenge, given the constraints, but I believe Fostex can surprise.

adn. If the HP-V1 manages to compete with something like the audio quality of the A2P TU-05 I would be delighted. 

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #1,040 of 1,448
Quote:

Sounds like Fostex's version of the ALO Continental...

Jun 10, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #1,042 of 1,448
Just got a used HP-P1 today; so glad you guys talked me into it. 
size]

I have a couple of questions though:

1. Does it make any audible difference to use a custom silver/copper/etc USB to 30-pin vs the stock cable?

2. When I use the S/PDIF out from the HP-P1 to my home theatre receiver, am I right to say the DAC on the receiver amp is used and the HP-P1 is just an adapter of sorts? Or does the HP-P1 change the sound before handing it off (...unlikely, right?)

Jun 10, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #1,043 of 1,448
Quote:

1. Does it make any audible difference to use a custom silver/copper/etc USB to 30-pin vs the stock cable?

Some say yes, some say no. I say yes.

Quote:

2. When I use the S/PDIF out from the HP-P1 to my home theatre receiver, am I right to say the DAC on the receiver amp is used and the HP-P1 is just an adapter of sorts? Or does the HP-P1 change the sound before handing it off (...unlikely, right?)

Someone else  can word it better.

ipod as transport  -  fostex dac - s/pdif  -  stereo home system amp.

Jun 10, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #1,044 of 1,448
Quote:

No.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/565791/on-usb-cables-and-controller-transfer-modes-a-series-of-questions-to-replies-from-usb-org

As long as the cable is not defective and physically capable / adequate it has no impact. There are better ways to spend money.

Jun 10, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #1,045 of 1,448
Quote:

As long as the cable is not defective and physically capable / adequate it has no impact.

Theoretically correct, but I own several optical S/PDIF cables and they sound significantly different (say 15%) from each other. I have no idea why this is so. Tested on various sources with same results.

Hence my interest to see if this is the same case.

Jun 10, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #1,046 of 1,448
Quote:

Theoretically correct, but I own several optical S/PDIF cables and they sound significantly different (say 15%) from each other. I have no idea why this is so. Tested on various sources with same results.

Hence my interest to see if this is the same case.

Before investing any money try to reproduce your result with correct double blind tests... That might resolve your issue.
Sorry to sound harsh but there is simply no reason why that should be the case.

Jun 10, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #1,047 of 1,448
That is stuff for the sound science forum.

As far as the s/p dif - that is an optical line out that uses your dac in your receiver or external dac. If you want to use the dac in the fostex to an amplifier then use the line out plug to your amp.

I hear differences from cable too but the stock one works, I used it for the first ten months.

Jun 11, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #1,048 of 1,448
softbunlet you made an expensive but fine decision acquiring the HP-P1, an astonishingly refined solid state headphone amplifier and exemplary portable iDAC.

A ~$100 USB cable is not excessive for the $650 HP-P1, if you can appreciate a difference from the original.

Most of all enjoy the classic beauty of the HP-P1.

Jun 11, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #1,049 of 1,448
Quote:
A ~$100 USB cable is not excessive for the $650 HP-P1, if you can appreciate a difference from the original.

Not excessive, just unnecessary. As USB offers excessive bandwidth for their purpose most audio devices use buffered transfer, i.e. checksummed. So the cable is not even used in realtime... How could is possibly affect sound?

Jun 11, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #1,050 of 1,448
Quote:

Not excessive, just unnecessary. As USB offers excessive bandwidth for their purpose most audio devices use buffered transfer, i.e. checksummed. So the cable is not even used in realtime... How could is possibly affect sound?

Absolutely, not necessary. Sometimes it's not simply just a matter of data transfer accuracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back