Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
Apr 28, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #1,006 of 1,448
Quote:
Because then you will know If you have the latest software or not (see below), and wont worry about the beta info showing up.
(Thats why!)
There you go. Thanks Saraguie.

Quote:
Thank you both! I have a thing with using "!" A lot apparently haha.

Any one of you guys have used a UM Merlin with HP-P1? I narrowed down my first CIEM to a Merlin.

I have the Miracles. I think if you search here on HF, you'll find someone who has the Merlin/HP combo.

May 14, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #1,007 of 1,448
Anyone know if the Hp-p1 is compatible (ie plays music through it fine) with an apple certified remote/mic cable (like the ones that come with Denon music maniac series)?

Also im not quite sure how this device works. If idevices are capable of sending a max of 24bit/96khz to the hp-p1 then that is the max quality you will get, or does it upscale the quality to 32bits? If not what is the purpose of having a DAC of such quality if its limited by the device unless you connect it to a hm 601 or something. Please help me sort this out...anyone?

May 14, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #1,008 of 1,448
Anyone know if the Hp-p1 is compatible (ie plays music through it fine) with an apple certified remote/mic cable (like the ones that come with Denon music maniac series)?

Also im not quite sure how this device works. If idevices are capable of sending a max of 24bit/96khz to the hp-p1 then that is the max quality you will get, or does it upscale the quality to 32bits? If not what is the purpose of having a DAC of such quality if its limited by the device unless you connect it to a hm 601 or something. Please help me sort this out...anyone?

iDevices can only do 16/44. Only the iPad can do 24/96. The HP-P1 only works with iDevices and nothing else. The HM 601 won't work with this DAC. I do not think that the Fostex can upscale to 32bits.

The reason for this device is it is a lot better sounding than coming directly from the iDevice.

Hope this helped you out.

May 25, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #1,010 of 1,448
Thought I would post that after 9 months of HP-P1 use with a variety of HP's and CIEM's that I still love this device. I use it a lot with my extensive travel and it is wonderful.

There is always another FOTM toy to consider, but I am still very satisfied with the HP-P1!  
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #1,011 of 1,448
Quote:
Thought I would post that after 9 months of HP-P1 use with a variety of HP's and CIEM's that I still love this device. I use it a lot with my extensive travel and it is wonderful.

There is always another FOTM toy to consider, but I am still very satisfied with the HP-P1!  
biggrin.gif

I completely agree with you Eric. The HP-P1 > i-Device is a marvel and I feel very fortunate to have found this set up. Many contenders are trying to dethrone it but, so far it rules....Long Live The King!

May 25, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #1,012 of 1,448
Quote:
Quote:

biggrin.gif

I completely agree with you Eric. The HP-P1 > i-Device is a marvel and I feel very fortunate to have found this set up. Many contenders are trying to dethrone it but, so far it rules....Long Live The King!

beerchug.gif

May 25, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #1,014 of 1,448
Quote:
Used mine today, convenient and awesome.  

Dallan, are you still using it by itself or are you pairing it with the Pico Power?

May 25, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #1,015 of 1,448
Quote:
Dallan, are you still using it by itself or are you pairing it with the Pico Power?

The way i have been doing it since getting the cypherlabs solo -R is that i have that one in a brick with my Pico Power and ipod classic.  Then when I want to go light i either have my nano attached to the hp-p1 or have it in my backpack with the Venturecraft lightning connector for my iphone 64g filled with music.  I actually end up using the Fostex more because it is always with me but when i am doing a dedicated listen, i take the hip bag w/solo and pico and usually the Ed8 LE.  

Here is the solo set set up.  The Fostex is charging right now cuz i just used it up.
wink_face.gif

Of course when i am going really heavy, the Pico power is replaced with the Lisa lll and usually my HD650 instead of the ed8.  That is when i have a long break in my car between cases at work.

May 25, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #1,016 of 1,448
Quote:
Quote:

The way i have been doing it since getting the cypherlabs solo -R is that i have that one in a brick with my Pico Power and ipod classic.  Then when I want to go light i either have my nano attached to the hp-p1 or have it in my backpack with the Venturecraft lightning connector for my iphone 64g filled with music.  I actually end up using the Fostex more because it is always with me but when i am doing a dedicated listen, i take the hip bag w/solo and pico and usually the Ed8 LE.  

Here is the solo set set up.  The Fostex is charging right now cuz i just used it up.
wink_face.gif

Of course when i am going really heavy, the Pico power is replaced with the Lisa lll and usually my HD650 instead of the ed8.  That is when i have a long break in my car between cases at work.

biggrin.gif
 Portable is a relative term!  Nice stack for sure.

May 25, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #1,020 of 1,448

Users who are viewing this thread

Back