Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
Dec 30, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #226 of 1,448
I did experiment myself occasionally with digital cables, e.g. XLR (AES/EBU), Coaxial, HDMI, Optical, and even with the USB (Furutech, Wireworld, Viablue, Kimber). I have to admit that it is noticeable different in sound and of course effect the level of music satisfaction.

However, I'm not so sure for this very short docking cable. Nevertheless I order one from Moon Audio to try and did not disappoint. It even getting a better result with that weird look as cooperpwc said that it looks crazy. For those who use iPhone4 as a transport. Try to turn on the airplane mode you will get even better out of it. For the cable unbeliever, please ignore my post.

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #227 of 1,448
Thanks everyone for all the comments on this thread. Big thanks to Mexicat for the reply a while ago. I am also old enough to remember the Walkman though I was too young to afford one..

I have ordered an Hp-p1 from a shop in Birmingham to try it out and will let you know how it sound with my Classic 160gig and iPhone 4 and Ultrasone Edition 8 'phones. My music is all in Apple Lossless. For information with these headphones it is quite possible to tell the difference between Lossless and even high quality compression. I also record using the slow method  in itunes that checks quality of the copy as it goes along.

I will post back here when I have heard the Fostex!!!

Cheers All

David

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #228 of 1,448
To me, I have no problem with HP-P1 and a sensitive CIEM like ES5. I like to listen to the music as the same level of the real instrument sounds, i.e. not too low and of course not too loud. For ES5, I set HP-P1 to low gain. My listening level starting at 9 o'clock to about 12 o'clock.

I've also got a chance to try with my LCD2, must be high gain, the result is good but not a serious setup for LCD2

Quote:
MezzoBello, I certainly am interested. How is low volume control? Do the channels stay balanced at your lowest desired volumes?

I found the HP-P1 is a bit emphasize in bass, and having a bit in warm tonality and ES5 sometimes to me I prefer it to have more punchy in bass. So, I think it is a good match and create synergy. 

Dec 31, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #229 of 1,448
I've noticed that, depending on the drivers, some headphones gain a bass boost from a step up in amp quality. I don't understand the workings well enough, but it could do with the impedance curve of the headphones.

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #230 of 1,448
Where does one find the hardware/firmware versions?
I see on my classic Version 1.1.0. That's firmware right? Do I have to hook up the fostex to my laptop via usb to get the machine version?
I really wish they would publish the update...I'm wearing the ipod down because I'm listening so much....which is a good thing of course!
Steve

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #231 of 1,448
It's not self-upgradeable. It has to be sent back to Fostex for upgrade.

[Aside]: This is the same for Cypherlabs Algorhythm Solo and VentureCraft Go-DAP.

Jan 3, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #232 of 1,448

Quote:
Where does one find the hardware/firmware versions?
I see on my classic Version 1.1.0. That's firmware right? Do I have to hook up the fostex to my laptop via usb to get the machine version?
I really wish they would publish the update...I'm wearing the ipod down because I'm listening so much....which is a good thing of course!
Steve

To check out your firmware and hardware versions of the HP-P1 go into settings then "about" of your iPod during playback and you will see the HP-P1 listed.  Mine comes up at the bottom of the list above the legal stuff.  Select this and you will see those details you are asking about.

Steve

Jan 5, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #233 of 1,448
Just got mine yesterday. Apparently, there's a clicking noise issue when running from Iphone 4. Does anyone experience the same thing?

Firmware version: 1.1.0
Hardware version: 1.1.2

Please Help!!!

Jan 5, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #234 of 1,448

Quote:
Just got mine yesterday. Apparently, there's a clicking noise issue when running from Iphone 4. Does anyone experience the same thing?

Firmware version: 1.1.0
Hardware version: 1.1.2

Please Help!!!

Try rebooting the phone.  I had a similar issue with my iPad:  
http://www.head-fi.org/t/566026/fostex-hp-p1-portable-amplifier-and-dac-for-ipod-iphone-short-review-and-impressions-thread#post_7660919

* Hold the Power and Home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple icon comes on. Then let go and do this process immediately again. The second time the Apple icon comes on, let go and allow the iPad to finish rebooting. $20 says that the clicks go away. Good luck collecting if I'm wrong. :wink:

Jan 5, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #235 of 1,448

Awesome!!!!  Finally,The problem is solved after doing third reboot :)
This 'badboy' is simply extraordinary. I'm experiencing eargasm now.
Thx Mkubota for your fast response. I really appreciate that!!!

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #236 of 1,448
Hello All,

Is there's any review comparing the DAC chip performances of Cypherlabs solo and Fostex HP-P1 ? 

Cypherlabs solo is using Wolfson premium grade ( not sure if it is single or Dual) DAC
Fostex HP-P1 is using AKM4480 ( I trust it is premium grade 32 bits) DAC

Anyone owns both device and have a chances to compare the performance and characteristic of these two ?

Appreciate your feedback 

Thanks
Raymond Lim 

Jan 7, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #237 of 1,448
It's probably not a good idea to post the same question twice in different threads, especially when there's a dedicated thread for it already.

Jan 7, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #238 of 1,448
yes. I guess i am desperate 
tongue.gif
 . but thanks for the advise.. I will observed this .
Thanks 

Jan 7, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #239 of 1,448

Quote:
Hi VandyMan,What is your overall impression of using the HP-P1 with SE535? I have these too and am wondering about if I should purchase the HP-P1. Did you find a significant difference in sound quality using this external DAC?

My "significant difference" may not be someone else's, but I find the HP-P1 to be a small but worthwhile improvement vs using my iPhone 4S directly. I mostly use my HP-P1 at work and I really can't use my IEMs there because my co-workers keep wanting to talk to me for some reason. :wink:  So I use my Sennheiser HD-25-1 II with the HP-P1 most of the work day. I find the iPhone under-powered for the Sennheisers, so the HP-P1 is a big help.

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #240 of 1,448

Quote:
A challenger appears! http://www.head-fi.org/t/583448/ibasso-dx100-reference-dap-es9018-inside/30

Sorry.... but until this product is an in production item, it is'nt actually a challenger. It is what ? Oh , right it's vaporware(unless iBasso actually "steps up to the plate" & releases it) (Oh, by the way,iBasso, I have a Fostex HP P1 on the way.!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back