Which one is better?
Related Forum Threads
- iPods and External DACs Last post on 9/11/13 at 3:50am in Portable Headphone Amps
- [VIDEO] Portable High-end Headphone Amp Guide Last post on 8/22/13 at 4:26pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Is there a DAC that sounds better than the Ipod/Ipad line out ? Last post on 11/28/12 at 10:14pm in Portable Source Gear
- Single-unit portable dac/amp or not: Fostex HP-P1 or 627/CLAS Last post on 11/19/12 at 11:05pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- DAC to use with my ipod Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:44am in Portable Headphone Amps
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 12/4/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)Last edited: 12/28/12
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
I will first start by declaring that I'm no audiophile, and that this is just a review coming from an average consumer. I know a lot of you will facepalm by my review, but I will post it...
The CAL! 2 is a big improvement over the first version. Creative brands this as a "premium headphone" on the box, but is it? First thing I noticed was the soundstage. It's MUCH better than...
As nicely explained by Victor in his review of the same CIEM, this is the previous flagship model from FitEar. In fact, unless you are married to the emphasised bass of the MH335DW, this would...
First of all, I am not a audiofile with several pairs of $1,000 headphones. I am more of a casual listener but I do like good sound. This is also my first review on head-fi so give me some feedback...
I love these headphones! So comfortable you will forget you're wearing them. My cousin once commented "This is the best bass I've ever heard in a headphone!" While I know there are headphones out...
Fostex HP-P1 vs Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo?post #1 of 1078/17/11 at 12:39amThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 1078/17/11 at 3:37am
They are apples and oranges. The CLAS is only a DAC where as the Fostex HP-P1 is an amp/DAC, the CLAS is going to cost more paired with a good amp (such as the Rx Mk2). I have not heard them in person but the Fostex seems to have a better DAC but the amp seems to be no where near good as a standard $200 + amp (I could be wrong though, since I've never heard any of them in person).
Edited by Parall3l - 8/17/11 at 7:18ampost #3 of 1078/17/11 at 9:32amHeadfonia.com had an interesting comparison between the two. He seemed to favor the HP-p1 and made it seem like it would really suit my tastes BUT....he only listened with CLAS to the ALO mk2. I would love to hear the CLAS with Arrow, Pixo Slim, etc and compare it then....post #4 of 1078/28/11 at 4:39pm
I've been wrestling with this myself recently, as the upgrade bug has bitten again. I seem to recall at least one credible review that stated the amp section for the Fostex was extremely good. I am really trying to scale things down and the idea of going iPod - > HP P-1 fits the bill perfectly. Worse case scenario, is to pair it with my SR71-A. I would love to leave the triple-decker approach for sandwiches only.post #5 of 1078/28/11 at 6:40pmpost #6 of 1078/28/11 at 10:14pmpost #7 of 1078/29/11 at 8:51am
I have listened the Fostex HP-P1 today with the ipod gen 6 connected by the USB cable provided
by Fostex. I don't have CLAS to compare but I would like to comment on its amplifier section.
I have not heard them in person but the Fostex seems to have a better DAC but the amp seems to be
no where near good as a standard $200 + amp (I could be wrong though, since I've never heard any of them in person).
I only would like to share my experience to its amplifier section which initially I thought it may be the weak point of Fostex HP-P1
to drive the difficult present day cans. Today I have tried the Fostex HP-P1 starting with Grado Vintage RS1, JVC DX1000,
Denon LA7000 (Lawton mod, Jenawire, Kal Cedars oak), Smeggy Thunderpants, LCD2 rev2 and now I am listening
with the Sennheiser HD800. I would like to say that it is a beautiful amplifier with excellent DAC section and it is not
a weak amplifier at all because it can drive the LCD2 rev2 and HD800 adequately. I used only filter 1 and midgain setting
I don't think it will have any problem with the HE5 or even HE6. I am not quite confident on the HE6 but I don't think it
can drive the AKG K1000 like the SR71B or the Ibasso. I will try with HE5, HE6 and may attemp it on the AKG K1000 later.post #8 of 1078/30/11 at 4:20pm
Will do. It should get in tomorrow or the day after, along with DT1350's. Hopefully my new (non-IEM) portable rig...post #9 of 1078/30/11 at 4:41pm
I hope you have a pair of IEM's to review!!! I'm so ready for this hp-p1 rig. My Fiio E7 is down due to faulty interconnect! I was just testing the water with E7 and can't believe how much better my IE8's sound! If I can just get that sound (DAC) from my computer on my iphone / ipod. I won't even listen now without E7 it sounds broken to me, flat, noisy and just wrong.post #10 of 1078/30/11 at 5:25pmQuote:Originally Posted by ironmantk
I hope you have a pair of IEM's to review!!! I'm so ready for this hp-p1 rig. My Fiio E7 is down due to faulty interconnect! I was just testing the water with E7 and can't believe how much better my IE8's sound! If I can just get that sound (DAC) from my computer on my iphone / ipod. I won't even listen now without E7 it sounds broken to me, flat, noisy and just wrong.
Yes, from my IEM's I will listen with Westone UM3X and Ety ER4S. Full sized will be Senn HD600 and Beyer DT880 (250 ohm). Maybe AKG 702's. But my real goal is to use it with "portable" on-the ear headphones. I am already getting good results with Gen VII iPod -> SR71A -> ESW9's, so this will likely be the acid test. I have high hopes for the 1350's...
Edited by Il Mostro - 8/30/11 at 5:41pmpost #11 of 1078/30/11 at 5:57pmThread StarterI just found out the DAC chip of the Fostex uses the same brand of DAC as my Esoteric player. Of course the Esoteric uses a higher model and with 16 of them, 8 per channel, but it would be interesting to see how the AK DAC chips would fare with the more common ones like Cirrus Logic or Wolfson. I think the CLAS uses Cirrus Logic?post #12 of 1078/31/11 at 10:40pm
Mine came in today. Holy crap! Perfect with my new DT1350's. Drives HD600's with ease, using the medium gain setting. I am done -- I have my new portable rig for the foreseeable future. This is a game changer for portable audio, plain and simple.post #13 of 1079/1/11 at 5:03pmpost #14 of 1079/1/11 at 5:11pmThread Starterpost #15 of 1079/1/11 at 6:53pmQuote:
I haven't used the Fostex with line out to my SR71-A yet and even so it would not really be apples to apples -- but I will have to get around to this at some point. My initial impression is the Fostex drives HD600's at least as well as the SR71-A. I never use that combination on the go and at home I use other amps with HD600's. That said, both of these have the juice and SQ to a fine job with moderately difficult loads. Subjectively, the Fostex may have even slightly bigger huevos than the RSA.
- Fostex HP-P1 vs Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Appreciation Thread 3 seconds ago
- › Last Mid ohio meet this year Fall meet here we come. (westerville... 4 seconds ago
- › Shure SRH440 Impression 11 seconds ago
- › I think i might go ahead and buy the Sennheiser HD600 for music... 51 seconds ago
- › Benchmark DAC1 - which input to use? 2 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX50 Thread (New^4 firmware update! V1.2.2) 2 minutes ago
- › Tablets with USB-Audio that can handle large Hard-drives? 3 minutes ago
- › New Setup --> Grado GM-1000i vs. GMP 450 Pro & which portable DAC?? 3 minutes ago
- › New Unique Melody Triple Dynamic CIEM announced 3 minutes ago
- › Home Audio Setup advice needed - Xonar Card, Tube Amp and Beyer DT... 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum by commodent
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by Quaresma
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Kiats
- › Monster iSport LIVESTRONG® In-Ear Headphones by Bassbanger101
- › Sennheiser HD 560 Ovation by Beeferer
- › Philips S2BK/28 Fidelio In-Ear Headsets by Antilochos
- › VSONIC VSD1S by IEMagnet01
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by eightbitpotion
- › NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone... by jshaffe
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by jshaffe
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi