Which one is better?
Related Forum Threads
- iPods and External DACs Last post on 9/11/13 at 3:50am in Portable Headphone Amps
- [VIDEO] Portable High-end Headphone Amp Guide Last post on 8/22/13 at 4:26pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Is there a DAC that sounds better than the Ipod/Ipad line out ? Last post on 11/28/12 at 10:14pm in Portable Source Gear
- Single-unit portable dac/amp or not: Fostex HP-P1 or 627/CLAS Last post on 11/19/12 at 11:05pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- DAC to use with my ipod Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:44am in Portable Headphone Amps
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 12/4/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)Last edited: 12/28/12
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
These hurt my head almost right away. The good sound quality is not noticeable when my ears and head hurts. Having said that, the price is low and if you don't like them then just return them.
This will be a short review based on maybe on 12-15 hours of use. If you think that's not long enough you can skip it. I was a bit worried that this would be some cheap gimmicky toy amp because...
The short and simple of it is this is the best DAP for the price I have owned. I have used all the main stream players, (IPods, Zune, Creative Zen Player, etc) and I will never go back. Besides the...
I really like this headphone. I've been trying various headphones in this pricerange, and decided on this one. But maybe the Price is a bit too high, when comparing to the first Creative...
NOTE: THIS MAY ALSO BE REFERRED TO AS THE KICKER PHENOM. THE PART NUMBER SHOWN FOR THE KICKER PHENOM PHONES I HAVE IS EB92S As I contemplated giving these a go, I became aware that there was...
Fostex HP-P1 vs Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo?post #1 of 1078/17/11 at 12:39amThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 1078/17/11 at 3:37am
They are apples and oranges. The CLAS is only a DAC where as the Fostex HP-P1 is an amp/DAC, the CLAS is going to cost more paired with a good amp (such as the Rx Mk2). I have not heard them in person but the Fostex seems to have a better DAC but the amp seems to be no where near good as a standard $200 + amp (I could be wrong though, since I've never heard any of them in person).
Edited by Parall3l - 8/17/11 at 7:18ampost #3 of 1078/17/11 at 9:32amHeadfonia.com had an interesting comparison between the two. He seemed to favor the HP-p1 and made it seem like it would really suit my tastes BUT....he only listened with CLAS to the ALO mk2. I would love to hear the CLAS with Arrow, Pixo Slim, etc and compare it then....post #4 of 1078/28/11 at 4:39pm
I've been wrestling with this myself recently, as the upgrade bug has bitten again. I seem to recall at least one credible review that stated the amp section for the Fostex was extremely good. I am really trying to scale things down and the idea of going iPod - > HP P-1 fits the bill perfectly. Worse case scenario, is to pair it with my SR71-A. I would love to leave the triple-decker approach for sandwiches only.post #5 of 1078/28/11 at 6:40pmpost #6 of 1078/28/11 at 10:14pmpost #7 of 1078/29/11 at 8:51am
I have listened the Fostex HP-P1 today with the ipod gen 6 connected by the USB cable provided
by Fostex. I don't have CLAS to compare but I would like to comment on its amplifier section.
I have not heard them in person but the Fostex seems to have a better DAC but the amp seems to be
no where near good as a standard $200 + amp (I could be wrong though, since I've never heard any of them in person).
I only would like to share my experience to its amplifier section which initially I thought it may be the weak point of Fostex HP-P1
to drive the difficult present day cans. Today I have tried the Fostex HP-P1 starting with Grado Vintage RS1, JVC DX1000,
Denon LA7000 (Lawton mod, Jenawire, Kal Cedars oak), Smeggy Thunderpants, LCD2 rev2 and now I am listening
with the Sennheiser HD800. I would like to say that it is a beautiful amplifier with excellent DAC section and it is not
a weak amplifier at all because it can drive the LCD2 rev2 and HD800 adequately. I used only filter 1 and midgain setting
I don't think it will have any problem with the HE5 or even HE6. I am not quite confident on the HE6 but I don't think it
can drive the AKG K1000 like the SR71B or the Ibasso. I will try with HE5, HE6 and may attemp it on the AKG K1000 later.post #8 of 1078/30/11 at 4:20pm
Will do. It should get in tomorrow or the day after, along with DT1350's. Hopefully my new (non-IEM) portable rig...post #9 of 1078/30/11 at 4:41pm
I hope you have a pair of IEM's to review!!! I'm so ready for this hp-p1 rig. My Fiio E7 is down due to faulty interconnect! I was just testing the water with E7 and can't believe how much better my IE8's sound! If I can just get that sound (DAC) from my computer on my iphone / ipod. I won't even listen now without E7 it sounds broken to me, flat, noisy and just wrong.post #10 of 1078/30/11 at 5:25pmQuote:Originally Posted by ironmantk
I hope you have a pair of IEM's to review!!! I'm so ready for this hp-p1 rig. My Fiio E7 is down due to faulty interconnect! I was just testing the water with E7 and can't believe how much better my IE8's sound! If I can just get that sound (DAC) from my computer on my iphone / ipod. I won't even listen now without E7 it sounds broken to me, flat, noisy and just wrong.
Yes, from my IEM's I will listen with Westone UM3X and Ety ER4S. Full sized will be Senn HD600 and Beyer DT880 (250 ohm). Maybe AKG 702's. But my real goal is to use it with "portable" on-the ear headphones. I am already getting good results with Gen VII iPod -> SR71A -> ESW9's, so this will likely be the acid test. I have high hopes for the 1350's...
Edited by Il Mostro - 8/30/11 at 5:41pmpost #11 of 1078/30/11 at 5:57pmThread StarterI just found out the DAC chip of the Fostex uses the same brand of DAC as my Esoteric player. Of course the Esoteric uses a higher model and with 16 of them, 8 per channel, but it would be interesting to see how the AK DAC chips would fare with the more common ones like Cirrus Logic or Wolfson. I think the CLAS uses Cirrus Logic?post #12 of 1078/31/11 at 10:40pm
Mine came in today. Holy crap! Perfect with my new DT1350's. Drives HD600's with ease, using the medium gain setting. I am done -- I have my new portable rig for the foreseeable future. This is a game changer for portable audio, plain and simple.post #13 of 1079/1/11 at 5:03pmpost #14 of 1079/1/11 at 5:11pmThread Starterpost #15 of 1079/1/11 at 6:53pmQuote:
I haven't used the Fostex with line out to my SR71-A yet and even so it would not really be apples to apples -- but I will have to get around to this at some point. My initial impression is the Fostex drives HD600's at least as well as the SR71-A. I never use that combination on the go and at home I use other amps with HD600's. That said, both of these have the juice and SQ to a fine job with moderately difficult loads. Subjectively, the Fostex may have even slightly bigger huevos than the RSA.
- Fostex HP-P1 vs Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)
- › WHO ARE THE BEST LOOKING PEOPLE ON EARTH? 16 seconds ago
- › Shure SE535 - clicking sound with a cable ??? :/ 28 seconds ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 42 seconds ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › akg k612 vs Q701 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Updated 9/2/2013: Sony... 1 minute ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 2 minutes ago
- › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 3 minutes ago
- › Panasonic RP-HC720-K Over Ear Headphones Noise Canceling 95% by oostrov
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by tdockweiler
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by lexangl
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by TThorsen
- › EB92 In-Ear MicroFit Monitors by MadMusicJunkie
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by xoriac
- › Roland RH-200 Monitor Headphones by IEMagnet01
- › Perfect Sound d901b by gelocks
- › Sony MDR-7520 Professional Headphones by groovyd
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Joe-Siow
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe