Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
Mar 8, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #961 of 1,448
I have the HD600's, and they have a fuller sound when I throw my ZOv1 in along with the mix, iPc 7th gen, HP-P1, ZOv1, the ZO adds to the low end and also effects mids and the treble? hhmmm go figure, but gives the sound a nicer shine/polish, seems to fill out the sound, I also have the HD650s, and they sound pretty great, but the ZO distorted the bass and broke up the sound, after turning up the volume to a jamming level with the 650s? but not along with using the 600s. I can really crank it up and get that great full sound that the ZO adds to my all of my headgear! just have to break the Z habit and go more al'natural with the 650s but the ZO is sssooooo hard to not listen with, ggrrr ugh, but I also think I might have to burn in the 650s, they look spanking new, I got them of off e-bay, as refurbs, so the 600s get the ear time atm,

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #962 of 1,448
Quote:
I've isolated the problem and it seems to be stemming from my iPod Classic. What troubled me was it just suddenly happen (like music was cut off halfway). I'll try to restore it and what not basic methods. Thanks for the help guys!

Anyways back on the main topic how do people with both the HD650 and HP-P1 think about that combination?

It is a nice combo...As is the HP-P1 and the HD800. Remember that there are 3 gain levels and 2 filters to manage your sonic preferences.

Mar 9, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #964 of 1,448
I know it is. I opened mine up and took a look. Explains the slightly mushy-sounding output.

Mar 9, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #965 of 1,448
Quote:
I know it is. I opened mine up and took a look. Explains the slightly mushy-sounding output.

I thought Fostex scrubs out the OpAmps? I actually thought the mushy sound was due to the 10 ohm output.

Mar 9, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #966 of 1,448
Quote:
Quote:

I thought Fostex scrubs out the OpAmps? I actually thought the mushy sound was due to the 10 ohm output.

Could be. I should probably just ask them. I didn't check where all the traces went as it is quite a complex little unit and possibly has a multi-layer board.

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #968 of 1,448
Wow they didn't scratch it off :p. Nice one.

Back when I had the HP-P1 I also had the Go-DAP 4.0 OPA2134. They sounded quite different - although HP was using the AKM AK4480 whilst the Go-DAP was using the AK4353.

Mar 9, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #969 of 1,448
Thanks folks, I think that confirms it. Thanks ExpatinJapan, really nice clear snaps. I did think an opamp with audio quality goals was used.

The now antique HP-P1 beast does seem more complex than just about every other current snappy portable DAC/Amp unit currently in vogue. Why?

Of course P1 works with lots of music and headphones. Now, mushy people need to use the right headphones and listen to the right music to unmush opamps.
atsmile.gif
It's your own fault, shoot yourself in the foot. Probably put poor old P1 under the SR009 microscope. 
triportsad.gif

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #971 of 1,448
So what is the vertict with the iPhone 5 and the 30pin adaptor.  Will that work with the supplied cable.  I know the long lightning connector/adaptor works with the ipad mini but I am getting an iPhone and trying to decide if I should get the 64gig.....only if the connector works.  Anyone have that setup?

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #972 of 1,448
I have not tried it with my iPhone 5. Still using the 7G IPC.

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #973 of 1,448
Quote:

The now antique HP-P1 beast does seem more complex than just about every other current snappy portable DAC/Amp unit currently in vogue. Why?

"Antique"?! The HP-P1 is hardly old let alone an antique.
That said, has anyone checked inside the Sony PHA-1 to compare to the Fostex?

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #974 of 1,448
Quote:
So what is the vertict with the iPhone 5 and the 30pin adaptor.  Will that work with the supplied cable.  I know the long lightning connector/adaptor works with the ipad mini but I am getting an iPhone and trying to decide if I should get the 64gig.....only if the connector works.  Anyone have that setup?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/655068/compatible-mobile-amps-dacs-for-the-iphone-5#post_9252593

Hi All

I have received another reply from Fostex:-

We have confirmed the operation of the HP-P1 with an iPhone 5 at our
lab, but we are not sure if the iOS is updated in the future.

so......maybe that's worth a go? 

Ta (Ruby2)
March 2013.

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #975 of 1,448
Also Venturecraft sells a USB lightning cable

http://www.head-fi.org/t/609906/new-venturecraft-go-dap-x-for-both-idevices-and-pcs/210#post_9075463

So I guess the options are:

*Use the stock usb lightning cable that came with the phone 5 . Meh. too long and minus style points.
*Use the fostex supplied usb lod with apple 30 pin adapter. Meh. Large and ugly, maybe even double DAC-ing? as the adapter has its own built in dac.
*Buy the Venturecraft LOD USB (above) for extra style points, or get a Toxic Cable USB LOD.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/628369/all-about-the-new-apple-lightning-cables-plugs-update-the-plot-thickens/30
(post 34 and 36)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back