Fostex HP-A4
Dec 28, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #31 of 324
I sent an email to Thomann Europe and they replied they can order HP-A4 for me as a special order without cancel and return options. The price was only 319€!!! I am going to order one... :)

Dec 28, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #33 of 324

Burr Brown PCM1792A

Interesting, the A3 uses an Asahi Kasei AK4390 (I believe the A8 also uses a very similar AK chip, but with more channels for A/V), so I'm guessing that the sound characteristics could end up being significantly different between A4 and A3, and perhaps even significantly different between the A4 and A8. This makes it more interesting than being just a simple incremental update of the A3, and could bring some new characteristics not heard before in a Fostex DAC.

I'll be very interested in seeing further reviews/updated info on this DAC. I have an A3 for my office desktop DAC, and it is superb at providing warmth, depth, and musical articulation across the spectrum, but a modestly priced upgrade would definitely be interesting to check out.

Dec 28, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #34 of 324

Interesting, the A3 uses an Asahi Kasei AK4390 (I believe the A8 also uses a very similar AK chip, but with more channels for A/V), so I'm guessing that the sound characteristics could end up being significantly different between A4 and A3, and perhaps even significantly different between the A4 and A8. This makes it more interesting than being just a simple incremental update of the A3, and could bring some new characteristics not heard before in a Fostex DAC.

I'll be very interested in seeing further reviews/updated info on this DAC. I have an A3 for my office desktop DAC, and it is superb at providing warmth, depth, and musical articulation across the spectrum, but a modestly priced upgrade would definitely be interesting to check out.

I never owned the A3 but I had the A8 for about 9 months or thereabouts? It has the AK4399.

Maybe it's just me but I kinda find almost all kinds of implementation of the AKM DACs, may it be in Fostex's DAC or otherwise, seem to have a more mellow kind of sound. I've concluded for myself that that it's just AKM's house sound to deliver a mellow signature.

At least for my tastes, the move to Burr Brown for the A4 is welcoming.

Dec 28, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #35 of 324
I like the "mellow" sound of the A3, it does some very special things (e.g., acoustic guitar is SO rich), and can really help to tame headphones that are sometimes overly aggressive in various ways. But a more aggressive version of the Fostex USB DAC would certainly also be fun for certain cans, and maybe helps justify owning both (let's see if this logic passes muster with my wife). I'll probably wait until the price gets closer to JPY30,000 (kakaku has the lowest price near JPY36,000 thus far, but most places selling at JPY40,000)…sometimes it is great to be a resident of Japan.

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #37 of 324
^ thanks, a good find for me!

Dec 29, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #38 of 324
Any idea if this will be available in Hong Kong soon?

Dec 29, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #39 of 324
Quite surprising they went with the PCM1792 DAC and didn't keep the AKM. With the experience with the Asus Essence STX its a very good DAC, but quite sensitive to power source quality and I wouldn't think with this unit being USB power that it would be much the case here. With an external USB power supply this might end up being a terrific DAC though.

Dec 29, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #40 of 324
I wonder how difficult it would be to modify USB powered devices to use an external power supply?... :)

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #41 of 324
I wonder how difficult it would be to modify USB powered devices to use an external power supply?... :)

Probably a waste of time. Owning the A3 has put every possible concern of USB power supply completely to rest for me... Power? Plentiful! Stability? Perfect!

PS...This may depend on the source...I've been using a retina-generation MBP.

Dec 29, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #42 of 324
Probably a waste of time. Owning the A3 has put every possible concern of USB power supply completely to rest for me... Power? Plentiful! Stability? Perfect!

PS...This may depend on the source...I've been using a retina-generation MBP.
comes down kt the USB port , I just don't trust my one. I had too many bad lucks with my ODAC. Not that I do not rust fostex I do not trust my USB port. This is something people should be aware of.

Dec 30, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #43 of 324
^ If you have a PC, you could get for example a USB 3.0 PCI card to help with the trust issues :wink:

Dec 30, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #44 of 324
Its my laptop that has this issue. Should be okay for most people but built in battery power for future revision can be a great addition.

Dec 30, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #45 of 324
Well can't you use a usb-ac adapter or power supply for the power, and feed it the audio over optical? I do this with my Audioengine d1 sometimes especially if using it with ps3 etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back