Fostex HP-A4
Nov 14, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #16 of 324
Well, since I can read Japanese I can tell you the following about it:

It does not support playback from SD card, that slot is for firmware updates only (unlike the A8)

It DOES support DSD 5.6MHz, which the A8 currently does not. However, very few recordings are available like this; onkyo's website had about 10 for sale and nothing really interesting. SACD is all 2.8 anyway.

It comes with an app for Mac and windows called Fostex Audio Player; also works with the A8. It can playback all of these file types on the fly, up to 24bit 192kHZ PCM and up to 5.6MHz DSD. Communicates with the DAC over USB.

The best part: amazon has it for 36,000 JPY compared to the 80,000 JPY HP-A8. The A8 is AC powered and has more inputs and outputs (also a cool screen) but the bus power of the A4 is more than enough to drive fostex or denon headphones so I don't see the point. Also 32bit support is useless since nothing is available in that format anyway. A4 seems like a better buy and is also half the size. I will be using it with denon d7000s I got used in Japan a while back. I haven't seen any TH900 used yet and don't want to pay 130,000 for it.

Nov 16, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #17 of 324
Looking forward to reading your impressions matvei.

I have a feeling this could be a very well thought out product with each part perfectly matched for it's purpose. 

The IFI USB power module could be ideal to partner with this. Hello Currawong, testing one two three.

Nov 16, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #18 of 324
My guess is this will sell for a huge markup in the US from moon audio and other sources; much like the HP-A8 which is like twice the price (800 US to 1499 US) and the TH900 which is like 600 US more than it should be. At the price amazon japan wants for this (~360 US dollars) I see no reason not to try it.

A couple other things:

It is made in Japan, same as HP-A8.
The reason the HP-A8 supported DSD over SD card and this doesn't is because at the time of release there was no way to play DSD over USB on the A8. Now that both machines support DSD over USB with the new app and firmware, there isn't much reason to miss the SD card playback on the A4.

Nov 17, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #19 of 324
I don't expect a big price disparity, because of the unit being USB bus powered. It wasn't really possible to import the Japanese units without having to use a step down transformer and it seems like the 110V and 220V editions commanded a big price difference as a result. With the A4 there shouldn't be any such issues.

Nov 17, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #20 of 324
I don't expect a big price disparity, because of the unit being USB bus powered. It wasn't really possible to import the Japanese units without having to use a step down transformer and it seems like the 110V and 220V editions commanded a big price difference as a result. With the A4 there shouldn't be any such issues.

I'm talking about resellers in the US. Japan and the US have nearly identical power systems and there is no need for a step down converter or any other adapter. The resellers in the US are charging $700 to ship a box from Japan to the US, as they are merely selling the Japanese unit.

So, I expect them to try and sell this for 600-800 US, basically just as they do with everything else from fostex.

edit: actually, it turns out that the HP-A8 can switch between 100, 120, and 230v as long as you have the right screwdriver to open the case. All you need to do is move one plug. So yeah, no excuse for the price as there is not a separate 220v version, they are all the same unit with a multi voltage power supply

Nov 22, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #23 of 324
Moon Audio said this amp will be available in about a month at $499.

Does anyone know if this will be able to be used as DAC-only? I see RCA out, so I assume so, but....

Dec 25, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #26 of 324
This looks VERY promising. I love the output selector, which should be in all desktop amps with line-out in my opinion! Fostex has also just released an audio player for this unit and it's big brother. This looks so good, I will probably order one asap!

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/Fostex_Audio_Player.shtml

Dec 25, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #27 of 324
Any info on what the DAC chip in this is?

Dec 25, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #29 of 324
^ thanks! What about the headphone output impedance? I am looking at the spec sheet and the max ouput of 100mW (32 ohms) doesn't seem to be much at all. For example O2 and FiiO E9 amps give 600 and 800mW. It's a real shame if the headphone amp of this is not really good... :frowning2:

Dec 26, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #30 of 324
If it is a USB powered device then that would be around the maximum expected power output without getting into trouble with the power limits. USB powered devices can draw a max limit of 500mW over the bus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back