Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!)
Jul 7, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #2,656 of 3,854

Danny Ric comes across as a genuinely likeable guy, unlike most of the grid. Kimi not so much, but he'll always be admired by many for his refusal to engage in BS and the hilarity of his laconic radio comms. I'd also add Jenson to that list - just a pity we don't often get to see him compete at the thin end of the wedge any more. In terms of Brits, it's much easier to be a fan of Button's than it is Hamilton's. You can admire the latter's race-craft, but it's difficult to warm to his poser-ish, arrogant personality.

Guilty here as is the media in general of overlooking Button. Easily the most under-appreciated champ in history.

Jul 7, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #2,657 of 3,854

Guilty here as is the media in general of overlooking Button. Easily the most under-appreciated champ in history.

I would think that would be Michael Schumacher :p

But then Nico totally dominated him. 

Jul 7, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #2,658 of 3,854

I've been a Button fan since I saw first saw him in the Greatest Win In Racing History. You never hear a bad word about him, he's always engaging with interviewers and fans, and he just seems like a genuinely likable guy with a ready smile and a good word. What I think is quite revealing is how highly he's spoken of by the other drivers. I think it's a very sad shame he hasn't had a car that's worth his talent, to the point where it's basically too late.

The problem is, while I love his smooth style (albeit he sometimes has trouble keep his tyres warm enough because of it), he doesn't seem to have the same passion to win that he did a few years ago and I'd hate to see McLaren pass up the talent they have waiting in the wings.

I would think that would be Michael Schumacher :p

...I just know that has to be a joke. :?

Jul 7, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #2,659 of 3,854
No did anybody like the Schumi?

Jul 7, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #2,660 of 3,854

Ah okay it was a joke. Good to hear. :D

Senna pulled some rat moves in his career, but at least the brilliancy was evident in between.

Jul 7, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #2,661 of 3,854

Schumacher was appreciated, but never really reached "likeable" status. Once again the accomplishments overshadowed the man.  More Tifosi appreciation for him bringing the accolades to the marque than personal idolation methinks.

Nico dominated a very different Schumacher from the one who won it all and set records. The testing ban hurt Michael more than any other driver as he was accustomed to camping out at the Ferrari track and doing endless laps to perfect the vehicle. With the ban in effect his entire method became largely irrelevant and he was simply too old to re adjust the habits of a lifetime.

Nico beating Michael to me is a lot like the senior golfers tour when Jack Nicklaus was playing. A lot of guys were trying to get mileage out of beating Jack, yet anyone with any cognicence of the sport just looked at them with pity thinking "you wouldn't even be here if it were not for what Jack did for the sport while you were still working your day job".

It is interesting to contrast Michaels comeback with Lauda's back in the 80's. Niki picked the perfect time to come back into a car that was technologically advantaged and everything was still very much a free for all. Conditions were perfect for a driver who was an excellent test pilot. Michael came back into a restricted environment in a car being developed. One could argue that to be an almost Alonsian career decision:wink:

Jul 7, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #2,662 of 3,854
  One could argue that to be an almost Alonsian career decision:wink:

The difference being Alonso said he simply wanted a career change and wasn't happy at Ferrari. Schumacher just wanted more attention.

Jul 7, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #2,663 of 3,854
....................Meanwhile the much awaited sermon from the Merc Mount turns out to be yet another "If you boys can't play together, well, well, just see what you get."

The world eagerly awaits the next incident where Niki Laudanum takes all the bottled water from Lew's room.  Toto of course, will be left with the unenviable task of taking away Nico's hair gel.

Here's hoping Vettel makes another lightning start with either of the Dead Bulls or Kimi in tow to spice things up.

Either that, or rain.

Jul 7, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #2,665 of 3,854
  Rain please. Lots of sporadic rain action.

If it's too changeable and the Mercs can't play nice Button will just about win it outright..

Jul 7, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #2,666 of 3,854

If it's too changeable and the Mercs can't play nice Button will just about win it outright..

Wondering just how severe the new Honda upgrades are. Could be a major factor in this race.

Jul 7, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #2,667 of 3,854

Wondering just how severe the new Honda upgrades are. Could be a major factor in this race.

It would give me goosebumps for a year if they could pull off a podium at Silverstone, it really would.

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #2,670 of 3,854
Current forecast is for rain during quali: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcr20zz56#?fcTime=1468022400. And the Met Office is never wrong 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back