Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!)
Jul 7, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #2,671 of 3,854

Schumacher was appreciated, but never really reached "likeable" status. Once again the accomplishments overshadowed the man.  More Tifosi appreciation for him bringing the accolades to the marque than personal idolation methinks.

Nico dominated a very different Schumacher from the one who won it all and set records. The testing ban hurt Michael more than any other driver as he was accustomed to camping out at the Ferrari track and doing endless laps to perfect the vehicle. With the ban in effect his entire method became largely irrelevant and he was simply too old to re adjust the habits of a lifetime.

Nico beating Michael to me is a lot like the senior golfers tour when Jack Nicklaus was playing. A lot of guys were trying to get mileage out of beating Jack, yet anyone with any cognicence of the sport just looked at them with pity thinking "you wouldn't even be here if it were not for what Jack did for the sport while you were still working your day job".

It is interesting to contrast Michaels comeback with Lauda's back in the 80's. Niki picked the perfect time to come back into a car that was technologically advantaged and everything was still very much a free for all. Conditions were perfect for a driver who was an excellent test pilot. Michael came back into a restricted environment in a car being developed. One could argue that to be an almost Alonsian career decision:wink:

Still it was not like Michael was of Jack Nicklaus physical shape and age :p

Hopefully it rains. If not activate the sprinklers!

Jul 7, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #2,672 of 3,854
  Still it was not like Michael was of Jack Nicklaus physical shape and age :p

Hopefully it rains. If not activate the sprinklers!

Of all the madcap idead Bernie has ever had the sprinkler idea did in fact appeal to me.

You mean "Fat Jack"???? Funny, that was his moniker when he was young, when he started winning he slimmed down and then inevitably with age gained i t back. Just a parellation to F1 in the "Widest :) " sense.

For another I might go so far as to suggest all F1 fans read Gant's "Bogieys and Bandits" from 1998. It is a chronicle of pilots going through training on the naval F18 and the overall theme is the change from nuts galore fighter pilot to Geek (or as a very fond female of my acquaintance once put it "Techno Weenie Weenie") the similarities to how F1 went 10 years later are actually startling. I think if you are a kindle member it's about 3 buck's for the download now. (And yea I am po'd cause it cost me over 30 as a hardcover back when)

Feel free to slam me when I do prattle on. But really, this could become "THE fun f1 thread wheras actually posting an opinion on the authorized sites out there could well lead to having you village burned and your women carried off:)

It's a magnificent sport even with all it's warts but push to shove, it aint saving lives or feeding the poor and I think most who drop  by here see that and take it for what it is.

On that, and a final note. Does anyone else out there see the similarities between a Merc Press release and Vogon Poetry? My suspicions have been aroused after the Laudanum fiasco.

Next year in Anterstorp??

Jul 9, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #2,673 of 3,854
Yes for sure though maybe it´s more suitable for endurance series.

That Sauber car just get worse and worse to drive it appears. Ridiculous oversteer on both cars. 

Jul 9, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #2,674 of 3,854
Yeah, Sauber really are rock bottom of the pile now. Poor old Button's bad run at Silverstone continues - no doubt be praying for rain tomorrow but even with that, hard to see him doing much from P17.

And another race, another 5 place grid penalty for Seb. What do you guys think about these grid penalties for gearbox changes? Wouldn't it make more sense to penalize the teams by docking points in the constructors' championship  - which the viewing public doesn't really give a monkeys about - rather than penalising drivers (and ultimately spectators) for circumstances beyond their control?

Jul 9, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #2,675 of 3,854
I went to Silverstone yesterday, for FP1/2 and had a great time, £40 entry is very good value, considering you can sit in any stand you want, plus there weren't too may people there, so no major queuing issues.

The only problem for me was that my Samsung 5 wasn't good enough, as there is a slight delay after pressing the button and the shutter speed isn't quick enough, so all of the video/photo's that I took were pretty feeble, especially compared to my mates iPhone 6, which was way superior, so mo video's that he took were fantastic.  Anyway, here is my best video, which isn't very good at all, so don't expect much.  A good looking police car as well.

Jul 9, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #2,676 of 3,854
  Yeah, Sauber really are rock bottom of the pile now. Poor old Button's bad run at Silverstone continues - no doubt be praying for rain tomorrow but even with that, hard to see him doing much from P17.

And another race, another 5 place grid penalty for Seb. What do you guys think about these grid penalties for gearbox changes? Wouldn't it make more sense to penalize the teams by docking points in the constructors' championship  - which the viewing public doesn't really give a monkeys about - rather than penalising drivers (and ultimately spectators) for circumstances beyond their control?

Sauber. From verge of contention during their BMW years to the mess they are in now. Hurts to watch that debacle.

Hoping Button used up all his bad luck here before the race and at least scores some points.

Shocked I am at the SCUD actually doing something pro active and extending Kimi's  contract. Not often they get off the pot on those things. Good call for them as it kills all the rumours and frees up the driver market for others.

I get the "live and die as a team" thing. Still penalizing a driver for something out of his control irks me as being drastic in extremis. It is purely a constructors issue and should be handled in tha way. How about simply denying that car any constuctor points for that particular race. Keeps the drivers title alive and sends a message to "the management"

I went to Silverstone yesterday, for FP1/2 and had a great time, £40 entry is very good value, considering you can sit in any stand you want, plus there weren't too may people there, so no major queuing issues.

The only problem for me was that my Samsung 5 wasn't good enough, as there is a slight delay after pressing the button and the shutter speed isn't quick enough, so all of the video/photo's that I took were pretty feeble, especially compared to my mates iPhone 6, which was way superior, so mo video's that he took were fantastic.  Anyway, here is my best video, which isn't very good at all, so don't expect much.  A good looking police car as well.

Awesome. Thanks. Look at some of the third party apps for the S5 to speed up the response time.

Jul 10, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #2,677 of 3,854

I think you'd get better results if you penalized the team in constructor's points rather than penalize the driver. If He drives the car into a barrier, and as a result needs a gearbox or engine, sure, penalty on him. If it's a part failure in general, it's the team.

The team would pick up the pace, and drivers wouldn't be imprisoned in the midfield and ruin their drive.

Jul 10, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #2,679 of 3,854
  http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/125131

http://www.pitpass.com/56706/Rosberg-handed-10s-time-penalty

different rules for different teams?

I'm not sure what you mean - FI didn't pass on information because they were told it was not allowed. Merc did and were penalized for it. I've said all along I don't agree with the blanket ban on radio comms, that it would be better if it only applied to driver 'coaching', but I don't see the inconsistency here. Maybe I missed your point?

Jul 10, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #2,680 of 3,854

I'm not sure what you mean - FI didn't pass on information because they were told it was not allowed. Merc did and were penalized for it. I've said all along I don't agree with the blanket ban on radio comms, that it would be better if it only applied to driver 'coaching', but I don't see the inconsistency here. Maybe I missed your point?

Agreed. If they could not tell Hamilton the mode he needed to be in in Baku, why should Nico get the same information here for free? The FI ruling falls under the same blanket.

I have to agree with Horner on this one. The rule is rubbish but while it is in effect it should be applied across the board. Merc, I suspect, took a chance here to prove a point and we will hear more about it later when the "study group" gets down to grips with it. It makes no sense that they acted in this manner when in Baku they asked the FIA first what they could tell the driver.

Poor Sauber
wink.gif

I'd love to see Perez in a front leading car. If Karma has any say in it, Mac in 17 or 18 might be the thing:)

Jeebus, but how does Fubarri manage to step 5 backwards for every half step forward?  They should have owned this race from the minute the SC went in.

Still have doubts about Nederland Max, but he still continues to impress. Wonder what we were all doing at 18 years of age?

The championship takes yet another turn. Hungary ought to be a sight and a half.

Jul 10, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #2,681 of 3,854
Clever coaching by Merc instead of a pontentially failed gearbox they take the chance on a less severr penalty. Or the gearbox would be fine and they lost second but why risk it all for  a second place?

Force India probably wish they would just done the same and taking the penalty instead of asking. After you ask you can´t do it :p

Good race but why the start behind the safety car? Just handed the race to Lewis and it was not all that wet. Wet enough to cause chaos but chaos is good :)

Everybody got a race but Lewis. Doubt he is disappointed though lol

Jul 10, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #2,682 of 3,854
^ Exactly this. Ask and you can't do, don't ask and pick up a penalty. I'm surprised no teams thought of trying it before. Now Merc has set a precedent, the FIA's hand will surely be forced to revisit the rules, otherwise we'll see all teams doing it in future if they can afford to take a hit.

Jul 10, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #2,683 of 3,854

10 sec time penalty is to lenient , if they wouldnt have done it we might have seen some more drama, he could have retired or may be overtaken by more cars. More teams would do same thing now pass information and take the penalty, FI would have passed info to both drivers and they would have nursed their brakes and finished the race.

Jul 10, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #2,684 of 3,854

10 sec time penalty is to lenient , if they wouldnt have done it we might have seen some more drama, he could have retired or may be overtaken by more cars. More teams would do same thing now pass information and take the penalty, FI would have passed info to both drivers and they would have nursed their brakes and finished the race.

OK, I get ya. Still don't think it's different rules for different teams though, just a case of one team trying their luck where others haven't. Had FI done the same they would doubtless have got a penalty too so for once, not inconsistency from the FIA, just an incident that's made a mockery of their rules.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back