Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!)
Sep 5, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #2,867 of 3,854

You complain about Bumbledoore, but I'd much rather have him than DC, the other bloke and the call-centre guy, at least Martin was entertaining most of the time.. 

Seriously? All he did back when he was on the Beeb was rub people up the wrong way on his cringe-inducing grid walks. He has a really abrasive, arrogant air about him IMO - an arrogance that seems to hard to fathom given that he was hardly a world beater as a driver. I much prefer DC. He may be mild-mannered, but I think his analysis and insights are good. Same with Mark Webber when he was given some air time this season. They could lose Eddie Jordan from the lineup though and I wouldn't shed a tear!

Sep 5, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #2,868 of 3,854
  We used to get all F1 races and quali live, all MotoGP and quali live, Moto2 and Moto3 delayed (straight after MotoGP race), all V8 Supercars and quali live and Nascar and WRC.
Now we get fewer than half the F1 races live, race only, (the rest as 1 hour "highlights" package) and the same with V8 Supercars. No Moto2, Moto3, Nascar or WRC.
Our "Home of Motorsport" channel sold out to Murdoch.
You complain about Bumbledoore, but I'd much rather have him than DC, the other bloke and the call-centre guy, at least Martin was entertaining most of the time.. 

Our locale went the same way with coverage and is just this year carrying SKY F1 albeit with commercial.

Bumbledoore is so constantly wrong it is hard to believe he competed in the series. DeResta seems to have come along just in time to fill the knowledge and analysis gap. I would rather have Coulthard any day. His accessibility to the teams seems to be much higher and he is a great analyst.

I wonder if any new owner would dare to push Bernie out?  If there is pushing to be done, it should be Pirelli who gets kicked to the curb. The article makes that point fairly well. They have single handedly hamstrung the series to the point where races are won by those who can manage the faults in their product best.

Running an F1 car in damage limitation mode from lights out is no way to handle a series.

Bring back (beg) Michelin, and Bridgerock and anyone else who wants in and lets make it a technology challenge rather than a wear test.

Sep 5, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #2,869 of 3,854
There is not a proper fix beside strapping down the technologue and aerodynamics it won´t happen. People would think it´s weird that GP2s is faster then F1s.

That there is less coverage is a healthy sign it´s just not an entertaining sport. It´s something you watch due to old habits. 

As for Alonso he got humiliated by Button was out of the points. Trying to find some fun get in the pits to get fastest lap. I think it´s a protest by being overtaken by Button more then anything else lol

Sep 5, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #2,870 of 3,854
It's somehting I watch with fascination not out of old habits. I took a decade off in the 90's.

Quite literally F1 as a whole represents life on planet earth at this point better than any other sport out there. The boring races are a direct reflection of Amusing ourselves to Death.

It's has two superpowers in continual conflict for control, the teams playing political lobbyists to each gain some benefit or advantage.

Runaway technology eating up money at alarming rates. Those very same players trying to micromange that same technology in a vain attempt to get the genie back in the bottle.

Little pizzant countries who will gladly let half their populations starve in order to gain even half their 15 minutes of fame on the world stage.

Youth obsession eating into the pie.

Planned obsolescence in the most dangerous of manners which gets whitewashed in favour of hyping the single most poorly designed and thought out cockpit protection system. The hypocrisy of that alone reaches and surpasses global political rhetoric by exponential factors.

To look at the F1 circus as a whole is quite simply to hold a mirror up to planet earth and view in a microcosm how a species who went from achievement driven to entertainment driven behaves.

Neil Postman would be proud.

Sep 5, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #2,874 of 3,854
  Formula E seems to be taking some right steps, They will have first online race with drivers and 10 members from competition. Also this roborace seems to be nice initiative.

online race against simracers? In what sim. Not F1 2016 I hope :p Now let those simracers operate those automatrons and race against the professional drivers wearing vr headsetsrace against the professional drivers on the real track that would be spectacular and next gen racing for sure. Everybody could become a F1 driver they don´t need to have rich parents or other sponsoring them. We could get a world champion from the poorest countries in the world and it´s not a class sport anymore! We could have the best racers participating in Formula One.

Formula E concept is backwards. Complaints about modern F1 not making noise. What about Formula E? Everytime I watch it something is a miss. They don´t appear to go very fast at all they go so slow their is no spectacular crashes either. And they just run tiny street circuits because they run out of juice and must switch car they would just make what 3 laps at Spa and honk the horn while going through eau rouge.

Sep 6, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #2,876 of 3,854
  online race against simracers? In what sim. Not F1 2016 I hope :p Now let those simracers operate those automatrons and race against the professional drivers wearing vr headsetsrace against the professional drivers on the real track that would be spectacular and next gen racing for sure. Everybody could become a F1 driver they don´t need to have rich parents or other sponsoring them. We could get a world champion from the poorest countries in the world and it´s not a class sport anymore! We could have the best racers participating in Formula One.

Formula E concept is backwards. Complaints about modern F1 not making noise. What about Formula E? Everytime I watch it something is a miss. They don´t appear to go very fast at all they go so slow their is no spectacular crashes either. And they just run tiny street circuits because they run out of juice and must switch car they would just make what 3 laps at Spa and honk the horn while going through eau rouge.

I have to agree to a point here. The car swap is simply ludicrous. They should have held out until batteries became more effecient. Or asked for Musk's assistance.

Sep 7, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #2,878 of 3,854

Guess again...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/37298242

I reckon this guy will find some way to go on after death.

He's obviously skipping Sing just to infuriate Bumble a little more:)  Truth of the matter and the key motivating factor for F1's rise in popularity was simply to field test parts and energy systems to be used as replacement parts for Ecclestones aging body:wink:

Seriously though.

Mr. Burns, rises once again to the occasion. Not surprising they need to keep him on for 3 years at least. Bernie is the master of the deal and most of the deals that have gone on have been sealed with his handshake. Taking him out of the loop is effectively like removing the engine from an F1 car itself, it's rather essential to the operation.

Love him or hate him F1 is as large as it is now, due to his foresight and ability to personally sell the product. Is he past the sell by date, probably, but the mechanics of doing the deal never change. If they can get some young web savvy guy or gal in there to shadow him and start coming up with new venues for the sport. Well, I am sure Bernie could adapt to making deals for those as well.

Who knows and F1 based social media system might be in the future:)

Sep 8, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #2,880 of 3,854
"Evolve the race calendar" Interesting choice of words there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back