Former Sennheiser engineer Axel Grell made a $200 pair of ANC true wireless earbuds - the TWS/1
Dec 29, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #332 of 494
What ear tips do you suggest to replace the original one? thanks~
Right now I'm only using the stock silicone tips and have not had problems with music sound quality, comfort or fit. Environmental noise is leaking through with ANC turned on (which I don't hear with music playing). I haven't tried the provided Comply foam tips yet, but if I were taking a flight somewhere I would probably swap to a foam tip for the added passive noise isolation. Other forum members have mentioned possible tip rolling in this thread, so in that regard I measured the nozzle size to assist people to find tips that could fit.

Dec 29, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #333 of 494
Well, call me a fanboy, but color me mpressed by the way they sound.

Bass are nice , can be strong but not overpowering and those earbuds can get pretty loud as well.
More so listening experience is not as fatiguing/agressive as some of my other buds with a nice pleasing soundstage as well.

Call quality is also good .Even outside in the street.

I have enabled soundid but did not spend too much time setting them up so i skipped a few steps in the preference and hearing tests.... i ll come back to see if things improve a little after some morr tuning

Great Job so far!
They are my favourite souding buds for music alone and i have quite a few :)

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #334 of 494
Well, call me a fanboy, but color me mpressed by the way they sound.

Bass are nice , can be strong but not overpowering and those earbuds can get pretty loud as well.
More so listening experience is not as fatiguing/agressive as some of my other buds with a nice pleasing soundstage as well.

Call quality is also good .Even outside in the street.

I have enabled soundid but did not spend too much time setting them up so i skipped a few steps in the preference and hearing tests.... i ll come back to see if things improve a little after some morr tuning

Great Job so far!
They are my favourite souding buds for music alone and i have quite a few :)
i also have etymotic and hd6 product. For sound wise, I am quite satisfied. The bass is very energetic while listening to singers like Adele/Sam smith, it sounds full and thick. It wont be muddy and have congestion like other bass heavy iem. I hope the TWS can be stronger as I take it to work everyday. Walking along is ok but when taking bus or train, the noise didn't reduce much. I have to rely on the L size earbud to help for physical noise isolation.

Jan 12, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #335 of 494
18A15C48-7C7C-441A-BA77-4B89F3A905F4.jpeg
We cooked up a little something for your grell audio headphones!

We constantly strive for perfection, and to reward our loyal users we have released a new firmware update, now available from the SoundID app!

• Better connection stability
  • Increased volume range: 4dB (with a change in the SoundID app this will add 7dB in total)
  • Modified tap gesture: 160ms -> 240ms (The "tap" can be longer, more forgiving and responsive!)
  • Simplified ANC and NAR control
  • LHDC "license invalid" fix from Savitech (LHDC is working! And sounds great!!!)

Sonarworks also released a new app update (for both iOS and Android) which includes the following things to improve the Over The Air Update (OTAU) experience:
  • Silent audio playback by our app during OTAU process (The app self-maintains a good data connection to the earbuds)
  • Timeout and retry mechanism for separate stages of OTAU process (if there’s an error, you don’t have to start over from the beginning)
A thank you goes to Sonarworks who have been applying hotfixes since launch, collaborating and working hard with us! Another big thanks to our patrons (that means you!), we listened to your feedback and this should make your experience nicer!

Attachments

• 7104484F-0DCD-4960-B77C-7F4F92ED6262.jpeg
    7104484F-0DCD-4960-B77C-7F4F92ED6262.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #336 of 494
Great news, I did the update and it worked!
Another question, I noticed that with ANC on there is quite an increase in bass, the frequency response that were posted here didn't show much of a difference between ANC off/on. I also recall that some other reviews did mention that.
How can this be?

Jan 12, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #337 of 494
18A15C48-7C7C-441A-BA77-4B89F3A905F4.jpeg

We constantly strive for perfection, and to reward our loyal users we have released a new firmware update, now available from the SoundID app!

• Increased volume range: 4dB (with a change in the SoundID app this will add 7dB in total)
  • Modified tap gesture: 160ms -> 240ms (The "tap" can be longer, more forgiving and responsive!)
  • LHDC "license invalid" fix from Savitech (LHDC is working! And sounds great!!!)

Sonarworks also released a new app update (for both iOS and Android) which includes the following things to improve the Over The Air Update (OTAU) experience:
  • Silent audio playback by our app during OTAU process (The app self-maintains a good data connection to the earbuds)
  • Timeout and retry mechanism for separate stages of OTAU process (if there’s an error, you don’t have to start over from the beginning)
A thank you goes to Sonarworks who have been applying hotfixes since launch, collaborating and working hard with us! Another big thanks to our patrons (that means you!), we listened to your feedback and this should make your experience nicer!
Thank you!!! Much improved, especially tap responsiveness. Now if I could just get them out of the case and in my ears without accidentally touching them enough to get them to start playing, skipping to next track, etc. It would be great if Sound ID, in addition to setting ANC on or off, the NAR and transparency modes on or off. Also I want to be clear, does ANC Off=Transparency On? There is still a too long delay between tapping the right side to pause, that I often think it hasn't worked and then tap again, making it just hiccup and keep playing. With music playing, the left side controls for ANC/NAR/Transparency announce the new setting way too quietly so that it's very difficult to hear what I just did, and I shouldn't have to pause music just to be able to tell what I'm doing on them.

Anyway, this update has made me no longer think my set might be defective. The only other request, which is something the Bose QC35 could do 6 years ago, is to control connections to previously paired devices through the app. It can be difficult (not just for these, but really all other bluetooth headphones) getting it to connect with the transmitter I have on my AVR for watching TV/movies. I always have to make sure I turn off bluetooth on my other nearby devices the TWS/1 has been connected to so it won't automatically connect to one of them instead of the transmitter. Again though, this isn't unique to the TWS/1 and perhaps there is no option without multipoint connections enabled, which I understand is not yet possible with the current chip until the manufacturer updates it. The increased volume is wonderful too! I can barely hear other bluetooth earbuds on 1/2 volume via iPhone but now with these half volume is all I need most of the time. I hope these get sent out to reviewers again now that many of the bugs have been fixed. They really do sound better than all the other earbuds I've had

Jan 12, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #338 of 494
Is the new firmware 2.3.0?

Jan 12, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #339 of 494
I did the update. The play and pause issue that I had has gone away. This is so pleasing with the tap and gestures working as expected it has enhanced the experience for me.
Sidenote: I did the update and it went and did it's thing, via upload/validation/reboot and reconnected . I did find very unstable connection. I took them out of my ears, placed in case and waited a minute or so. Then reconnected,after that the unstable behavior went away. Just in case if anyone is experiencing that, down worry just do that simple process and it will stabilize

Grell came through with update so very much appreciated, as some stated earlier I am now fully enjoying these. If I detect any bugs will post here as to support the future updates

Jan 13, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #340 of 494

First of all, thank you very much for the detailed information about the 2.3.0 firmware update.
I just did it and it went very smooth...

Now i think this information should be also primary on Grell Audio website as well since i could not find anything about it in soundid app either :)

I noticed the change in ANC on/off when NAR is already on..

Finally i am glad that the collaboration with Sonarworks seems to bear fruits

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #341 of 494
Like others mentioned already, the latest SoundID app update combined with v2.3.0 firmware update went smoothly. I will report I did have a funny experience after the FW update. The very first song I played the singer sounded like a chipmunk, the entire song was playing much faster. The music player app did not have this feature (some do). Anyway after I stopped the playback and restart, then it was normal and did not recur.

In a previous post I mentioned having problems with the SoundID personalized sound being super bassy. I resolved that by doing a profile reset and redoing the preference test with SoundID supported headphones. Once SoundID has your sound preference for one supported headphone or IEM it applies the sound correction algorithm to any other supported headphone or IEM. Needless to say, I'm enjoying the SoundID personal tuning now.

Jan 13, 2022 at 11:08 PM Post #342 of 494
Just a finding, while on work travel I found on the plane that when I triggered Sound ID it will not connect unless there is a network connection. You still can operate the Grell unit, but if you want to adjust something on SoundId it will not be possible

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #343 of 494
Just a finding, while on work travel I found on the plane that when I triggered Sound ID it will not connect unless there is a network connection. You still can operate the Grell unit, but if you want to adjust something on SoundId it will not be possible
Yeah, i noticed that day-1, that s a big downside to the Sound ID App, hope there will be an update for that as well.

Having to connect to a remote server to change EQ or upload user profile is mehhhh...
If one day the internet is down, SonarWorks servers unavailble ...or being simply in a place where i dont have internet access...

Jan 14, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #344 of 494
This is a SoundID thing if I'm not mistaken which likely won't be changed. My guess is that SoundID is a subscription type deal with the manufacturer so they can discontinue support at any time. I can be wrong with this guess though.

Jan 14, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #345 of 494
I found SoundID has a couple conditions for connection. Wifi or cellular connected, need to be logged in, all locations services must be enabled for bluetooth headphone or IEM (wouldn't connect to Grell TWS/1 until location services enable). SoundID didn't require location services if I had previously (last session) selected a wired headphone, but if selecting a bluetooth set again it would not connect until location services turned back on.

@Evshrug, Do you know what the model number / type for the supplied Comply foam tips? Comply site never gives a model number, only allows selecting earphone manufacturer and model, Grell is not listed on their site. From the measurements I made earlier I believe the Comply tips are either 400 or 500 series. Of course the length is important or will not fit in the charging case.

comply-foam-eartips-t-series-tx-series-tsx-series.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back