Former Sennheiser engineer Axel Grell made a $200 pair of ANC true wireless earbuds - the TWS/1
Dec 20, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #301 of 494
It should be a tap on the left ear to turn off/on transparent mode. If ANC was active, transparency mode turns it off. To toggle ANC, it ought to work if you hold on the left earpiece for a full second.

aptX and aptX Adaptive are currently the only Qualcomm codecs supported.
Grell Audio,

I am still trying to understand if the issue with the Play/Pause is a sensor issue that can be corrected with an app update.

Currently the Play/Pause is not consistent. I have found with testing that if I am listening for a while some music and I single tap the right side it will not execute the action ( or register the command) .However a double tap it activates the "assistant" and after that I can play and pause with no issue. If I wait again it's the same behavior.

If a future setting will be enable that allows to use double tap it would resolve this issue. Unless this is something by else.

Just in case we have 2 TWS1 units and both are having the same issue

Any help us appreciated

Dec 21, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #302 of 494
Grell Audio,

I am still trying to understand if the issue with the Play/Pause is a sensor issue that can be corrected with an app update.

Currently the Play/Pause is not consistent. I have found with testing that if I am listening for a while some music and I single tap the right side it will not execute the action ( or register the command) .However a double tap it activates the "assistant" and after that I can play and pause with no issue. If I wait again it's the same behavior.

If a future setting will be enable that allows to use double tap it would resolve this issue. Unless this is something by else.

Just in case we have 2 TWS1 units and both are having the same issue

Any help us appreciated
Hi, i prefer to use the double tap but yeah i kinda have those issues with touch controls on the righ or left t but i still consider them a minor inconvenience...sometimes a simple tap is not registerd..not sure why...
I don't mind the extra waking them up first...if that saves battery life or cannot be changed...

Does anyone have approximate battery life of these buds with the different codecs LHDC, AptX adaptive, APTX ,AAC or SBC?

I still trying to understand how soundid works and use it properly; i saw i can create different eq presets as well...
I wish i could also do that in without doing the hearing tests that takes ages..and keep my personal data on their server as well.

Dec 21, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #303 of 494
Some feedback on the headphones:
  • I have no previous experience with noise cancelling headphones but when I use the vacuum cleaner the noise from the cleaner seems to be louder with ANC on
  • For me I didn't find a good seal with the provided eartips. Problem is mainly that with the short nozle the fit is only shallow. I've tried some other ear tips and currently settled with the SpiralDots and the Comply Sx-500.
  • As for the loudness: The earphones get loud enough for me but I can understand that others would have like it if the earphones would have been louder (post-16721764). Perhaps it's possible to add a boost mode in the SoundID app which enables maximum loudness? Especially with the limited number of volume steps in Android it's perfect for me as it is.
  • The headphones don't remember the ANC setting and they always start with ANC on
  • For single tap gestures I have to tap really hard for them to be recognized
SoundID app (Android):
  • ANC button doesn't toggle ANC on/off
So far I really like the headphones and they are comfortable to wear.

Dec 21, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #304 of 494

• As for the loudness: The earphones get loud enough for me but I can understand that others would have like it if the earphones would have been louder (post-16721764). Perhaps it's possible to add a boost mode in the SoundID app which enables maximum loudness? Especially with the limited number of volume steps in Android it's perfect for me as it is.

Do you use them with SoundID function on or off? With the SoundID the loudness is mostly Ok, but without it the volume is too weak imo.

Dec 21, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #306 of 494
Well i am not so sure about that, they are already pretty loud for me on my android devices :)

i wonder how it will impact the battery life? but It 's great you managed to take that into consideration.

I notice that SoundID app also indicates the earbuds controls which is handy a a very nice touch.
Do you plan to add other features to get more control of the earbuds later than firmware update and loading sound profile?

Overall i really like how they sound and enjoy the design and for the most part have been pretty solid.

Thanks
You would still be able to set the same volume you use now, and the runtime per charge cycle should be the same. 100% would just be higher, and your listening volume might therefore be at a lower percentage of available volume.

Dec 21, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #308 of 494

• The headphones don't remember the ANC setting and they always start with ANC on
  • For single tap gestures I have to tap really hard for them to be recognized
  • ANC button doesn't toggle ANC on/off
So far I really like the headphones and they are comfortable to wear.
Hi, what android phone do you have?

On one occasion the voice indicaton disappered, i only could hear beeps but it was okay after i out them back in the case.

Which ANC button? You have to touch the L sensor for 1s (you hear a beep) to switch between anc on or off...and if you already heard 3 beeps( 3 s press) you are in NAR mode then if you short press 1 s you are only switching between nar on and off...

Thats what i found on my tws/1

Dec 21, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #310 of 494
Hi, what android phone do you have?

On one occasion the voice indicaton disappered, i only could hear beeps but it was okay after i out them back in the case.

Which ANC button? You have to touch the L sensor for 1s (you hear a beep) to switch between anc on or off...and if you already heard 3 beeps( 3 s press) you are in NAR mode then if you short press 1 s you are only switching between nar on and off...

Thats what i found on my tws/1

They should really add a voice annoncemnet when you turn ANC/NAR on/off without the toggle imo! It's really confusing.

Dec 21, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #311 of 494
All, a few findings based on using two different Android Devices plus a DAP and two (2) TWS1 devices with Sound ID FW 2.0.0.0

a) Touch Sensor:
  1. No matter device the TWS is connecting and the resets I did for both units.
  2. The Play and Pause single touch are a very hit or miss.
  3. Core issue is that when you press pause this trigger is picked up and works. But pressing once more for play, the action will not follow in 80% of the cases.
  4. The only way to access play is by doube tapping and activating the "phone assistant" and then a single tap finally would start Playing.
  5. I intially thought that it was latency issue on the sensor, but I can relate this more to the device (or sensor ) going into standby/hibernate somehow.
  6. Other manufacturers have gone down the path of double taps as the sensor technology was not reliable with single taps or it work with the architecture of the device
b) Sound:

1. Comparing sound levels against AKG N400, B&O EQ, Senheiser MT2, MD 08s, Klipsch, B&W PI7, Devialet, Grado 200, Technics AZ60 with the same 5 songs
  2. Set same phone and volume scale at 70% and played the songs and found that all TWS units the songs "loudness" were comparable but the Grell TWS1 was the lowest of all of these TWS units. The Klipsch was closest to the Grell
  3. Then I turned Sound ID with my sound profile, this really changed the "loudness" and the Grell TWS1 sounded similar to all TWS units as it relates to "loudness"
  4. Performed a very rudimentary test between the Grell and the B&O, M&D and the Senheiser. Basically I played the songs again with and with out Sound ID and used another phone with a sound meter app placed at 12 inches ( ~ 30 cm) and found that the dB sound picked up by the app was very low from the Grell when compared to the other devices ( ~ 25-32%).
  5. No doubt It was rudimentary and will have some variances but it helped give me some context.
c) Sound ID App:

1. The sound does increase if you enable Sound ID with your sound profile, the upload seems to take a few seconds
  2. Having some funny behaviours from the app:
    1. The My SoundID will enable yourself if you swipe the volume on your TWS1 device, creating sudden increase of volume. Discover this suddenly and Thankfully I was not max on the phone scale
    2. Under headphones, if you select the options for ANC On or OFF nothing happens except it will trigger My SoundID
    3. If you do ANC On or Off from TWS1 the ANC works and MySound ID is not triggered , in essence this is an app issue
Would recommend:

a) That as Grell is dependent on the SoundId app that they really check that operations are consistent between the app and the hardware for the next firmware update and app update
b) Would really evaluate activating modes of operation that are selectable by the user or changing the Play/Pause to double tap or figure out why the sensor settings on Left work much more accurately than Right side. Swipe gestures worked 20/20
c) Sound levels may need some tweaking

That is it for now

Dec 22, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #312 of 494
I was referring to the setting in the SoundID app which should allow to toggle the ANC state: Devices -> Headphones -> Bluetotooth, Noise Cancelling Off
Ah ok i see what you mean but i am not sure it toggles the ANC state OFF/ON , for me it just suppose to load a different sound preset to match the signature when ANC is on and off…
I dont think sound id app has any control on the buds at the moment except change built in EQ and update firmware.

You did not answer me about your smartphone, if it s not to private or maybe you are lost in the fields :)

They should really add a voice annoncemnet when you turn ANC/NAR on/off without the toggle imo! It's really confusing.
Yeah, but you will get used to it eventually… ( sorry not sure what you mean by the toggle…, we do get both beeps and voice annoncement at the same time...when it s not buggy)
I am ok so far about the way it works :)

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #313 of 494
Mine arrived in Hawaii today and updating them now. Sound is very nice out of the box. Seems to be updating firmware ok with music playing. Edit: "Seems to be" was key here. Took 3 times of updating and rebooting, with music playing, to finally actually update and was a very frustrating process where SoundID would be on a screen telling me to update and then tell me it was already updating. It was very difficult to even get to the screen where it showed the update process. Probably the most maddening time getting them working properly since bluetooth earbuds years ago when they were extremely buggy. But now that it's done, they do sound great, I ultimately prefer the SoundID profile enabled, the soundstage is much wider than other wireless earbuds I've had, and I prefer them over the Sennheiser MTW1, which were my previous favorites. The ANC is also better than I expected, and I think part of that is using the foam tips which make a very good seal as they expand after being inserted. It's unfortunate because I think they buggy experience and difficulty getting them set up is going to greatly harm their reputation. This is with an iPhone 13 Pro Max on the latest iOS.

Dec 22, 2021 at 4:48 AM Post #314 of 494
Meh, thinking about returning them, there's just soo many bugs atm...

i'll probably try again in a few months, I should have a phone with upcoming Snapdragon SoC by then, so i'll be ready with Aptx Adaptive/BT 5.2.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #315 of 494
Meh, thinking about returning them, there's just soo many bugs atm...

i'll probably try again in a few months, I should have a phone with upcoming Snapdragon SoC by then, so i'll be ready with Aptx Adaptive/BT 5.2.
Not all phones with snapdragon have aptx-adaptive...
You should check that too as well, since Mine has a snapdragon 888 chip but phone made by Samsung and i only have aptx (no aptx hd or aptx adaptive)..
Xperia phones on the other hansd have all the Bluetooth audio codecs :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back