Former Sennheiser engineer Axel Grell made a $200 pair of ANC true wireless earbuds - the TWS/1
Dec 19, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #271 of 494
  • For me the silicone ear tips are just too short and I can't get a good seal, which leads for me not knowing if ANC is on or off, while with the foam tips the ANC is amazing. It would be great to include some longer silicone ear tips.
However, I think both things can be easily fixed :).

The Azla SednaEarfit Crystal standard worked great for me! Just like they do with most IEMs :)

I agree with you on volume level, I also prefer the default tuning over my SoundID result.

Dec 19, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #273 of 494
I wanted to report about a different experience, compared to most other voices until now: I had an absolute pleasent experience so far! Almost everything worked out of the box like it hoped for ( I'm NO associate of grell audio )

The sound is absolutely amazing and I have not enjoiyed an IEM this much (comparison from the last weeks: RHA 750, Sony WF-1000XM4, Bose Quiet Comfort Earbuds, Airpods Pro). It sounds extremely open for an IEM and the amount of possible sub-bass is unmatched, it really doesn't feel like an IEM.
Also the touch controls are the best ones I have experienced until now. They are precise and that I don't have to decide between important functionalities, like with the Sony's is a big plus for me.
Moreover, I think the ANC (when you get a good seal -> for me only with foam tips) they are not so far away from the highly praised Sony's WF-1000XM4 that I had recently for testing.
I also find them super comfortable, compared to the Sony WF-1000XM4, with the foam tips.

Nevertheless, I see two points where I would hope for improvement:
  • The volume when switching SoundID off is a tiny bit too low for not so aggressively mastered songs (acoustic, classic, ...). As I enjoy Axel's standard tuning more than my SoundID results, although the frequency graph looks close to the standard tuning posted here, it would be great if the same volume level could be reached. As the headphones clearly have the reserves for it (SoundID proves it), it would be great if this could be improved.
  • For me the silicone ear tips are just too short and I can't get a good seal, which leads for me not knowing if ANC is on or off, while with the foam tips the ANC is amazing. It would be great to include some longer silicone ear tips.

Hi, What smartphone do you have?

I was was not as lucky with the grell version and had a tough day getting them to work with the app ...but most glaring issues seem fixed now.

I agree on the sound part, i really appreciate it and i find the ANC very competent (might be almost on par with XM4 and so far an upgrade to the MTW2 in some places).
It makes me realize that even at the brightest my XM4 is really boomy

Also i am using the default silicone tip, i have not tried the other tips yet but as it is , it s good and they are very comfy for my ears (more than my MTW2, XM4)

for the touch controls part alone, i think the Sennheiser MTW2 are the best there is no comparison even with Sony XM4 (And their app is very clean and handy.)

but the Grell TWS1 work pretty well now... i wish the manual was a bit clearer as how to use the controls... i think that in some instances when i have NAR mode it prevents from switching off ANC and you have to disable NAR first

Also can someone from Grell please tell me why they have apt-x adaptive but dont support aptx- hd...it's confusing all those codecs from qualcomm... :)

Dec 19, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #274 of 494

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #275 of 494
I wanted to report about a different experience, compared to most other voices until now: I had an absolute pleasent experience so far! Almost everything worked out of the box like it hoped for ( I'm NO associate of grell audio )

The sound is absolutely amazing and I have not enjoiyed an IEM this much (comparison from the last weeks: RHA 750, Sony WF-1000XM4, Bose Quiet Comfort Earbuds, Airpods Pro). It sounds extremely open for an IEM and the amount of possible sub-bass is unmatched, it really doesn't feel like an IEM.
Also the touch controls are the best ones I have experienced until now. They are precise and that I don't have to decide between important functionalities, like with the Sony's is a big plus for me.
Moreover, I think the ANC (when you get a good seal -> for me only with foam tips) they are not so far away from the highly praised Sony's WF-1000XM4 that I had recently for testing.
I also find them super comfortable, compared to the Sony WF-1000XM4, with the foam tips.

Nevertheless, I see two points where I would hope for improvement:
  • The volume when switching SoundID off is a tiny bit too low for not so aggressively mastered songs (acoustic, classic, ...). As I enjoy Axel's standard tuning more than my SoundID results, although the frequency graph looks close to the standard tuning posted here, it would be great if the same volume level could be reached. As the headphones clearly have the reserves for it (SoundID proves it), it would be great if this could be improved.
Thanks for sharing your perspectives. I have longer comments on the sound, ANC, and fit. If the controls are not working for a device ordered day 1,since they were announced, it is a bit of a problem to provide a fair review. Also, I'm doing all of my checks without sound ID app, I will use the app later today to see if I receive any kind of update that would help my issues.

Dec 19, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #277 of 494
Anyone having good luck with these on iOS? Mine are nearly unusable, with severe dropout issues. I paired with my Android ZX507 and stability is a lot better, but still subpar compared to my prior WF1000XM3. Drop said they’d replace, but I’ll just go with a refund if others are also experiencing iOS instability.

Otherwise, the sound is quite enjoyable for on the go use—very well tuned for that purpose. I quite enjoyed “Tripping With Nils Frahm” while walking my dog the other day. The ANC coupled with very average isolation isn’t very effective for loud sounds (like a chainsaw) but does cut just enough walking and subsurban street noise to make listening more enjoyable. I’ve never used ANC for that purpose before, always finding it detrimental to my enjoyment and only used for hearing protection, so that was nice.

But there are a lot of negatives with this TWS. In some ways it feels very much like a first effort from earlier days of TWS:
iOS stability (lots of dropouts)
Isolation only average, even with comply
Weak ANC
Poor fit (for me), extremely short nozzles
Touch controls are a disaster (for me), I can only get ANC/NAR to respond regularly.
Transparency mode is very unnatural
Volume is way too low. I’m either maxed out or one click down often. Modern, extremely hot mastering is probably ok, but well-recorded stuff is far too quiet.
Very odd. Sounds like you may have a defective pair of another underlying issue. I'm still in the honeymoon phase and use them all the time. Mine came from Drop and I'm having a wonderful time with them on iOS. Zero issues outside of taps not registering every now and then. Plus, SoundID just updated their app and it's working flawlessly. I've used them outdoors, indoors, pretty much everywhere the last few days. The soundstage is incredible. Very wide IMO compared to a lot. BT connection has been perfect (so far). ANC blocks out fan noises here at home and I don't really expect much at this price range. They're not Bose, Sony or even the B&O EQ. Volume does need to at about 80% for me, but I do like things loud. For that, I can pop in my Fokus. Those rattle my brain. Love it!

Dec 19, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #278 of 494
Very odd. Sounds like you may have a defective pair of another underlying issue. I'm still in the honeymoon phase and use them all the time. Mine came from Drop and I'm having a wonderful time with them on iOS. Zero issues outside of taps not registering every now and then. Plus, SoundID just updated their app and it's working flawlessly. I've used them outdoors, indoors, pretty much everywhere the last few days. The soundstage is incredible. Very wide IMO compared to a lot. BT connection has been perfect (so far). ANC blocks out fan noises here at home and I don't really expect much at this price range. They're not Bose, Sony or even the B&O EQ. Volume does need to at about 80% for me, but I do like things loud. For that, I can pop in my Fokus. Those rattle my brain. Love it!

Hi there. Been reading your comments for several months and would be interested to hear your (and anyone elses's) opinion on whether the fins/wingtips make a substantial difference to fit etc.

(Got the tws1 arriving tomorrow but can still order from Drop until tomorrow and I'm wondering if I'd feel that I was missing out on something without the stabilising wings.)

Dec 19, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #280 of 494
Hi there. Been reading your comments for several months and would be interested to hear your (and anyone elses's) opinion on whether the fins/wingtips make a substantial difference to fit etc.

(Got the tws1 arriving tomorrow but can still order from Drop until tomorrow and I'm wondering if I'd feel that I was missing out on something without the stabilising wings.)
Honestly, I took them off and put the basic ones that do not have a fin on. I prefer them this way. My wingtips are sitting in the box :wink:

Dec 19, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #281 of 494
Perfect, thank you. I appreciate the response.

I’ll return these for a replacement. Fingers crossed the next pair works… I do like the sound, and find it very well judged for outdoors and casual listening, my use-case for these. And the soundstage is really nice, I agree!

Dec 19, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #282 of 494
Perfect, thank you. I appreciate the response.

I’ll return these for a replacement. Fingers crossed the next pair works… I do like the sound, and find it very well judged for outdoors and casual listening, my use-case for these. And the soundstage is really nice, I agree!
I would hold on a few more days to the pair you haveband see how it goes, i highly doubt they are defective

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #283 of 494
I would hold on a few more days to the pair you haveband see how it goes, i highly doubt they are defective
Wait for what? A firmware update? They’re unuseable outdoors unless I have them a foot or two from the buds. In a pocket they constantly dropout.

Dec 19, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #284 of 494
Wait for what? A firmware update? They’re unuseable outdoors unless I have them a foot or two from the buds. In a pocket they constantly dropout.
Thanks for that I thought I was going crazy. If have the phone in my hand the connection is stable, I went to grocery store and had the phone on my pocket and connection was really unstable.

I updated to Firmware 2.0 as indicated in other comments.

Every control is working except play. Basically the single touch works for pause but to get play to work is frustrating. They should implement a double by tap for play and pause as I think the latency of the sensor may not allow it to be detect play/pause. Double tap may be the simple fix. All touch hold and slide work , so I really think the single tap is not the right one for the sensor selected

Dec 20, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #285 of 494
Well, in that case yes this could be a hardware problem...
i would try to reset them one last time before sending them back,
but yeah i did not run into your issues , it was a nightmare to make them work with SoundId but i believe SoundID updated their app this weekend to fix some bugs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back