Former Sennheiser engineer Axel Grell made a $200 pair of ANC true wireless earbuds - the TWS/1
Dec 22, 2021 at 6:24 AM Post #316 of 494
Not all phones with snapdragon have aptx-adaptive...
You should check that too as well, since Mine has a snapdragon 888 chip but phone made by Samsung and i only have aptx (no aptx hd or aptx adaptive)..
Xperia phones on the other hansd have all the Bluetooth audio codecs :)

Yeah, Samsung will prob somehow get away with it...But the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 will both support Aptx Lossless and be the first Qualcomm SoC to fully support the upcoming LE audio. Will be interesting to see how Samsung will handle it this time around, if they don't deiliver I'll just get any other phone with the new chip :)

Dec 23, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #317 of 494
Well, after a few days of listening to the TWS/1 earphones pre-SoundID firmware update and custom tuning I do like the standard Grell tuning except the bass is a little too much for me. Like others here, I also have some problems with the tap interface for both left and right sides. Where others find they have to tap harder, in contrast I have to do quick light taps. I also found if I tap toward the edge of the touch sensor rather then the center I get more consistent tap response.

I waited for Sonarworks to release the fixed version of SoundID app for Android before playing with the app. The firmware update was pretty quick, but during the update the left side lost audio (I was listening to music as suggested from the "one weird trick"). I had to unpair the TWS/1 from my Samsung tablet, put the earphones back in the case and close the lid to reset them. After pairing them again both sides had audio again.

The automated SoundID tuning and hearing test went smoothly, but the resulting EQ was super bass heavy. I ran the tuning a couple times with different provided music loops and purposely picking the "A" or "B" with less bass, but the result was always a bass heavy EQ. It would be interesting to know if other people had the same super bass heavy EQ happen to them as well.

I ended up creating my own custom EQ by using the PEQ correction settings for Harman In-Ear 2019v2 target. The sound was pretty similar to the standard Grell tuning except the bass was a little reduced and the treble was increased a little. I also tried the other PEQ correction for further reduced bass, but then the treble dominated and the "fullness" from the bass was missing. One nice thing I found was that the hearing test corrections are still applied to your own custom PEQ settings. My ears are not perfectly balanced and the applied hearing test correction helped balance the sound for me.

Here's a tip for you guys looking for that volume increase but with the standard Grell tuning. In SoundID, go to Custom EQ and choose "Studio Reference (flat)", update the TWS/1's with the flat EQ. Then turn ON / enable "My SoundID". The earphones will have that extra volume you've been missing. I tested this by toggling My SoundID on and off and the tuning was the same except the volume was louder when enabled.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the FiiO music app for Android with LHDC (HWA) codec does work. I don't know what LHDC bitrate is being used, but sound quality is much, much better when listening with LHDC (HWA) enabled.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #318 of 494
I wonder if users are aware that you can increase volume on your phone and on your tws1 by swiping up right? If both are maxed out, the Grell play pretty loud for me.
So far i like the sound a lot, pretty much what i look for in a tws iem.

I'm on Android 11 (oppo find x2 pro) and my phone supports lhdc. However i can't get lhdc to work with my drop grell tws 1. Selecting it in development settings doesn't actually do anything. Anyone got lhdc working on their phones natively, without fiio app?

Dec 24, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #323 of 494
Unfortunately it only shows a setting for aptx adaptive, seems like the grell are not being recognized for having lhdc by my phone.
You said you can see lhdc in dev. Maybe select it in dev, connect the TWS/1, then recheck the bluetooth setting again? Maybe lhdc will be there... fingers crossed.

Dec 25, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #324 of 494
I also have some problems with the tap interface for both left and right sides. Where others find they have to tap harder, in contrast I have to do quick light taps. I also found if I tap toward the edge of the touch sensor rather then the center I get more consistent tap response.
This seems consistent with Axel’s findings; it’s programmed to register a touch input as contact made for less than 180ms. That’s pretty fast… Axel theorized that most people were tapping faster when they do the double tap, and your lighter tap may have been quicker as you said. After testing, he thinks most people would find a tap window of 320ms to feel more responsive, so that’s changing in the next firmware update, along with unlocking 9 dB more volume headroom (decibels are logarithmic, so that will feel twice as loud!).

Thanks for sharing your findings, makes me feel more confident that these changes will help people :)

The firmware update was pretty quick, but during the update the left side lost audio (I was listening to music as suggested from the "one weird trick").
Thanks for reading! I have to admit, I thought the title was funny. Saw too many YouTube ads that advertise such but never give you the goods after an hour of fluff 😅

Cheers to all and Merry Christmas to those who celebrate!🎄

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #325 of 494
This seems consistent with Axel’s findings; it’s programmed to register a touch input as contact made for less than 180ms. That’s pretty fast… Axel theorized that most people were tapping faster when they do the double tap, and your lighter tap may have been quicker as you said. After testing, he thinks most people would find a tap window of 320ms to feel more responsive, so that’s changing in the next firmware update, along with unlocking 9 dB more volume headroom (decibels are logarithmic, so that will feel twice as loud!).

Thanks for sharing your findings, makes me feel more confident that these changes will help people :)

Thanks for reading! I have to admit, I thought the title was funny. Saw too many YouTube ads that advertise such but never give you the goods after an hour of fluff 😅

Cheers to all and Merry Christmas to those who celebrate!🎄
Hopefully the next firmware update the sensors as I mentioned earlier I felt it was a latency issue on the single tap. Grell sensor approach is basically use tical to the Pixel buds and their original firmware had that issue, they corrected eventually but it took 2 FW updates

Dec 27, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #326 of 494
Is the multipoint connectivity still on the radar for a future update?
That would also help with some of the issues i have with soundid app.
Thanks

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #327 of 494
Is the multipoint connectivity still on the radar for a future update?
That would also help with some of the issues i have with soundid app.
Thanks
Multipoint is a feature of the Qualcomm QCC 5141 chipset… but Qualcomm hasn’t implemented it yet.

Dec 27, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #328 of 494
Finally got mine!
F72AD2D5-935C-47F0-B73D-566C44EE30A4.jpeg

It fits in the watch pocket of my Banana Republic jeans, and my Delica pocket knife can clip next to it in the main pocket
1E27C7E5-B393-4181-9199-C0DF32D918A8.jpeg

Attachments

• D8CCDD60-FDD0-440D-BC28-9EFA10F94C98.jpeg
    D8CCDD60-FDD0-440D-BC28-9EFA10F94C98.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 9676EAE9-1FCA-43E0-85DD-11B013A5D38F.jpeg
    9676EAE9-1FCA-43E0-85DD-11B013A5D38F.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 6FEEB66A-88DF-4F5D-A56F-204AFB4A4ABA.jpeg
    6FEEB66A-88DF-4F5D-A56F-204AFB4A4ABA.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Dec 28, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #329 of 494
This is head-fi so it is a given that there will be tip rolling as more people customize for best comfort, fit, improved ANC, sound contouring, visual appeal or whatever.

Here's what I measured with a digital caliper. Have fun customizing your TWS/1's.

Grell TWS 1 nozzle dimension.jpg

Dec 28, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #330 of 494
Any idea when there will be another firmware update and what the window is for returning them without a charge? Working 100+ hours per week lately and they're effectively unusable and I don't have hours to constantly try to trouble shoot them when every other bluetooth earbuds I have just work. Was hoping they'd be a nice addition to my work day and I'll give them more of a chance, but only if I can return them if they're not far more functional soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back