For those with a zune
May 4, 2008 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ZackP

500+ Head-Fier
Do you amp it? And if so, how big of an improvement, or difference is there in the sound? I am asking because while reading Germainia's review of the Freqshow, she says an amp makes a huge difference.

Thanks for reading
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you amp it? And if so, how big of an improvement, or difference is there in the sound? I am asking because while reading Germainia's review of the Freqshow, she says an amp makes a huge difference.

Thanks for reading
biggrin.gif

Hi Zack,
I have the Zune80. My mobile requirements are all in-house, so I like to use full sized headphones (HD-650) with it, so I amp it with the LD MK1 portable amp. The Zune is a really great source (using lossless) to amp, very clean and clear and full spectrum.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Zack,
I have the Zune80. My mobile requirements are all in-house, so I like to use full sized headphones (HD-650) with it, so I amp it with the LD MK1 portable amp. The Zune is a really great source (using lossless) to amp, very clean and clear and full spectrum.
smily_headphones1.gif

WMA Lossless? Whats the battery life like with lossless and full volume out?

May 5, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, to be honest, I haven't tested that yet.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've been using it for a few hours and then putting it back in the dock to charge. I'll have to time it one of these nights.
smily_headphones1.gif
I know from testing that the MK1 will do 17 hours of high level playback using HD-650's before it needs a charge.

May 20, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Finally got time to test the battery life when using WMA lossless. I did it twice, to make sure the results were similar. I got 9 hours out of the Zune, with the volume maxed out, using the lossless files.

I think this is pretty good considering the load.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #7 of 10
I use a Zune 30 with a Portaphile amp portably, and a number of portable headphones, mostly Igrados, but i just got Sony MDR NC6, so for a few days i been using them because theyre noise cancelling.
I wish the Zune was able to be used portably with a line-out dock.
I have the home line out dock, but there must be a way to make a portable unit. It may need a battery to trigger the switches inside.

May 21, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #8 of 10
Zune 30 with good cable to Hornet to HD600 or Shure E500: outstanding! Not neutral, but subtly warm, organic, dynamic...just wonderful.

Sonically, I prefer the above to my iPod classic160 with ALO LOD--just barely though. But, for me the iPod battery life and disk space trumps all.

YMMV

May 21, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #9 of 10
If Zune is capable of driving given phones straight, all you would get from amping is a little flavor if the amp is not transparent and very negligible if any SQ improvement.

May 21, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If Zune is capable of driving given phones straight, all you would get from amping is a little flavor if the amp is not transparent and very negligible if any SQ improvement.

Emphasis mine.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, that's the whole point of an amplifier--to provide input appropriate to (in this case) the headphone or iem.

Of course this doesn't address whether the source player sounds good to begin with.

BTW, in case you don't see it: I agree with you.
smily_headphones1.gif

-m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back