For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Mar 13, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #18,526 of 20,807
iBasso SR2 and Kim Gordon's newest.

Kim-Gordon-The-Collective.jpg

DSC_1512.JPG

Mar 13, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #18,527 of 20,807
Ivy Lab - Mild Snake EP
Szalayi with Corier Brass tips, Hart Audio cable
RU7 / iPhone Pro Max 15 / Qobuz
IMG_6892.jpeg
IMG_6891.jpeg

Nothing mild about this combo at all, enjoying a smoke session and hard hitting club beats in the sunshine.

Mar 13, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #18,528 of 20,807
Ivy Lab - Mild Snake EP
Szalayi with Corier Brass tips, Hart Audio cable
RU7 / iPhone Pro Max 15 / Qobuz

Nothing mild about this combo at all, enjoying a smoke session and hard hitting club beats in the sunshine.

Have you by any chance heard the Oriolus Manachaa? I'm waiting for a pair I took in on a trade and since you and I perceive and enjoy the Szalayis in much the same way, I figured I would ask.

I'm running the Subtonic Storms off my Cayin N8ii this afternoon. The Storms have continued to impress me more over time. They're just an incredibly complete, well balanced, and technically superior pair of IEMs.

On deck in the queue is Sex Magick Wizards' 2021 album, Your Bliss My Joy. SMW put out some of my favorite experimental fusion material. Ingvald André Vassbø is a very creative and this music really lets his talents shine. Viktor Bomstad is the guitarist and primary songwriter and dude puts together some sick compositions, IMO. A lot of more experimental music that tries to push the envelop stylistically ends up sounding incoherent, wandering, and, frankly, not very musical. Bomstad and SMW don't have that problem and the layered styles and influences that are always apparent in their material come together to create wonderfully creative and unique fusion that I can't get enough of. Highly, highly recommended! 🤘😎

RLP3221_900x.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #18,529 of 20,807
Have you by any chance heard the Oriolus Manachaa? I'm waiting for a pair I took in on a trade and since you and I perceive and enjoy the Szalayis in much the same way, I figured I would ask.
ugh no i am dying to. Was hoping to make a CanJam this year to test out some stuff to save for (unfortunately not looking likely anymore due to life stuff), Monachaa is right near the top of the list with the Singularity.

I have heard they are basically an upgraded Szalayi, which sounds perfect.

Mar 13, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #18,530 of 20,807
ugh no i am dying to. Was hoping to make a CanJam this year to test out some stuff to save for (unfortunately not looking likely anymore due to life stuff), Monachaa is right near the top of the list with the Singularity.

I have heard they are basically an upgraded Szalayi, which sounds perfect.

That's essentially what I heard so when they were offered to me as part of a trade, I jumped at the chance.

FWIW, I have heard the Singularity and I think the SoftEars Twilights are a better single DD (and they're quite a bit less expensive). The Singularity were good, but at that price I'd expect them to be excellent and, to my ears, they weren't. I spent about 3.5 hours with my friend's pair driving them with my Cayin N8ii going through a bunch of music I'm familiar with to put them through their paces and primarily comparing them to my two best single DDs, the Twilights and the Dita Perpetua. I left unimpressed and not at all sure what was supposed to justify the price. I know others, including the owner of the pair I tried, are quite impressed by them so I'd still try to get a listen to them when you can.

Thanks for answering!

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #18,531 of 20,807
That's essentially what I heard so when they were offered to me as part of a trade, I jumped at the chance.

FWIW, I have heard the Singularity and I think the SoftEars Twilights is a better single DD (and it's quite a bit less expensive). The Singularity were good, but at that price I'd expect them to be excellent and, to my ears, they weren't. I spent about 3.5 hours with my friend's pair driving them with my Cayin N8ii going through a bunch of music I'm familiar with to put them through their paces and primarily comparing them to my two best single DDs, the Twilights and the Dita Perpetua. I left unimpressed and not at all sure what was supposed to justify the price. I know others, including the owner of the pair I tried, are quite impressed by them so I'd still try to get a listen to them when you can.

Thanks for answering!
hmmm.. very helpful about the Singularity, we def have the similar sound profile/libraries so that is def good to know.

Need to check out the Twilight, i love how it looks though i worry about the ergonomics. my ears are large haha.

For the thread's topic -
G Jones - Paths
Szalayi / RU7 / iPhone 15 PM / Qobuz
1710353808320.png

if you like IDM this is probably one of the best albums to test out headphones i have heard, in everything except vocals (it has none lol). Big soundstage, both wide and deep, very 3D, very bassy.

Mar 13, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #18,532 of 20,807
hmmm.. very helpful about the Singularity, we def have the similar sound profile/libraries so that is def good to know.

Need to check out the Twilight, i love how it looks though i worry about the ergonomics. my ears are large haha.

For the thread's topic -
G Jones - Paths
Szalayi / RU7 / iPhone 15 PM / Qobuz
1710353808320.png

if you like IDM this is probably one of the best albums to test out headphones i have heard, in everything except vocals (it has none lol). Big soundstage, both wide and deep, very 3D, very bassy.

I worried about the ergonomics of the Twilight shells when I decided to order them, too. The way they've designed the nozzle and the circular part of the shell that you seat in your conchae make it a non-issue. They fit very well and the rectangular-ish outer part of the shell sits comfortably outside my ears. It doesn't touch anything or cause any hotspots. Everyone's ears are different so I can't be certain you or anyone would do fine, but I've let quite a few people give mine a shot and none of them have had any problems. My wife tends to have fit issues with many IEMs and even she has no problems with the Twilights.

They're definitely worth checking out. I found them to be the best single DD in the $1k or less price range (after trying a ton of single DDs in that range) and I've found them to beat many of the more expensive single DD options out there, including Singularity and others that often get high praise.

I like music from all kinds of genres. As long as it's good music and gets me into it, I'm happy. I'll look this up and put it in my queue and I'll make sure to switch to the Szalayis for it. Thanks for the rec! 🙏😎

Mar 13, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #18,535 of 20,807
Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #18,538 of 20,807
Revisiting early Igorrr...
Borderpatrol dac se-i-> Ferrum Hypsos Oor-> Abyss Diana V2

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #18,540 of 20,807
Finally got settled down in my hotel room, had a good dinner with the crew, and now my bassist and I are posted up in my hotel room having a little gear party. I've got the DCA Expanse running off the SMSL VMV P2 with my Gustard R26 pulling DAC and streamer duties.

On top of tonights queue is Nick Johnston's 2016 album, Remarkably Human. After listening to his new album, I've been going through some of his past work that I haven't listened to in a while. It's funny how great music and some time away is making me really appreciate the Expanse right now. If I had to name one pair of headphones in my collection as my overall favorite, the DCA Expanse would take that title. A lot of times when people call something a great all-rounder it implies that the headphones are a jack of all trades and master of none. The Expanse OTOH, are great all-rounders precisely because they excel at so much. There isn't a genre I can throw at them that trips them up. Dan and co did a fantastic job when they designed these bad boys. 🤘😎

Users who are viewing this thread

Back