For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Jul 16, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #13,336 of 20,035
Thanks for not leaving me alone in this regard. I've been heavy into the headphone thing for 15 years now, strategically moving up the ladder, obtaining this and that new piece of gear in attempts to upgrade my listening experience. Finally one day a few years back I unplugged my headphones from dedicated desktop amps and dacs and walked over to my 2-channel system and first plugged headphones into my Onkyo C7030 CD player. Very, very good sound. Next I plugged into the headphone out on my Emotiva BasX PT-100 preamp. Literally mind blown. If I didn't need something at my desk I would probably part with all my iFi/Schiit/Fiio gear. Mmmm, if only the Emotiva preamp was smaller. Lol. Maybe my upgradeitus in the realm of headphones and related gear is finally disappearing after all these years for what seemed be very minute incremental upgrades with little if any impact on my listening enjoyment. May be also why I've focused the last 2 years on upgrading and enjoying my stereo system the majority of the time. Oh well, to each his own. Just enjoy the music however you engage!!

BTW- how do you like the X3? I have the original X2 from 2014 that I still cherish and will never part with. Was eyeballing the X3 on the recent Prime day but bought the Drop HD6XX instead. Looking at the X3 for Black Friday maybe.
I love the Fidelio X3, especially for classical music. To my ears the mids are more present, have more body than the X2. They can be more sibilant than the X2 for the majority of users, but I find the X2 more sibilant with the music I listen to. For movies the X2 beats the X3 easily, that bombastic bass is wonderful.

Jul 16, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #13,337 of 20,035
Pics Cut_2023715164652849.png

Vintage RS-1's with flats.😍
20230114_210521.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #13,339 of 20,035
Sennheiser HD600 at the moment

Jul 16, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #13,344 of 20,035
JRiver Media Center > SMSL SU9 > Schiit Asgard 3 > Grado RS-1x :notes::notes::notes::notes::notes:

asongforallseasons.jpg

A Song For All Seasons (1978) by Renaissance - Same band and headphones as last night, I'm enjoying the pairing too much to change just for the sake of it. 1978 was the year I fell in love with this band after first hearing their one and only hit single, Northern Lights, which was apparently about her sadness when leaving Roy Wood behind (her fiancé and co-founder of ELO) when going on tour in the US. The sound of Annie Haslam's voice through the RS-1x is quite magical and clear as a bell. :darthsmile:

Jul 16, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #13,345 of 20,035
ZMF Atticus > GS-X Mini > Holo Spring 2 Level 1 w/ Gustard U18 DDC. Listening through Foobar2000.

cover.jpg

These headphones truly are amazing. When I first heard them, I thought they were too stuffy sounding. With changes made to how I listen and time passing, these headphones deserve all the praise that they get. I might like them more than my Eikon now. Of course, the VC is still the #1.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #13,346 of 20,035
ZMF Atticus > GS-X Mini > Holo Spring 2 Level 1 w/ Gustard U18 DDC. Listening through Foobar2000.

These headphones truly are amazing. When I first heard them, I though they were too stuffy sound. With changes made to how I listen and time passing, these headphones deserve all the praise that they get. I might like them more than my Eikon now. Of course, the VC is still the #1.
ZMF Atticus: which wood & which cable? 🤔 EDIT: I see Cocobolo in your signature ☑️

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #13,347 of 20,035
Stax SR-L700MK2 right now. I thought Stax had no bass LOL. They are very good.

Jul 16, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #13,348 of 20,035
It's mostly the Hyland Jupiter One on the computer lately, and the Empire Ears Bravado Mk2 in the evening / portable. Seriously considering downsizing big time, more or less leaving the hobby... I just don't have time to listen to most of my stuff these days, and I'm a little less than 2 months out from a long distance move, so fewer boxes to carry is very compelling.

Jul 16, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #13,350 of 20,035
It's mostly the Hyland Jupiter One on the computer lately, and the Empire Ears Bravado Mk2 in the evening / portable. Seriously considering downsizing big time, more or less leaving the hobby... I just don't have time to listen to most of my stuff these days, and I'm a little less than 2 months out from a long distance move, so fewer boxes to carry is very compelling.
I left for a while but recently came back to the headphone world on a much smaller scale than where I once was. Probably had a lot to do with my music room getting water damage and I have been waiting for new carpet to get my 2 channel going again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back